OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
When I was on dialup for a time, a friend online burned some CDs and mailed them to me.

69248487.jpg

36375332.jpg

87321522.jpg
Yes, those are actual scans of the discs.

Anyways I was on Netzero, and it's got this "turbo" thing that recompresses images for you. JPEGs go to 20% quality or so, GIFs get reduced to 16 colors, but 24-bit PNGs (alpha layer) didn't change... it was still a GREAT help. Also blocking flash and java. If you're on dialup and your ISP doesn't offer that, you can use the Opera browser's Turbo Boost feature, I think it should handle 24-bit PNGs fine.

So. Dialup stories/woe/humor?

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
when I was on dialup back when visiting DR It was in short, painful. I could only just about use wikipedia, and maybe yahoo email. Forget about youtube.

I would wait like 30 minutes to find my grades for the semester because the college site was too damn graphical. lol!

admotonic

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Thats nothing. When I was on Dial-up it could take about 10 minutes to load GOOGLE. It was ridiculous!

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
When me was a kid we had dial-up...
It was actually pretty decent for dial-up,it probably went 10-15kb since gamefaq's and yahoo loaded up pretty quickly,but yeah,ever since we moved homes,DSL took over,but still,for DSL,it's dang slow.

macgeek417

妁眼のシャナ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used to - until recently - use dial-up. It didnt even connect at full speed. My max download speed was 4KB/s. 1MB took 5mins to download...

tk_saturn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Many years ago back in the 14.4K/ 28.8K era, we had a storm. Went into college the following morning, and every single persons Modem was fried. Sucked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo