Hacking Devolution - Public Release

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
papermanzero .. how do you force video mode with devolution ?
Author mentioned he would never include video patching of any sort.
So im guessing you are menaing other loaders.

Hmm weird we are getting different results on Wave Race Blue Storm, and Zelda TP.
Im about 10 games away from having tested all of my Gamecueb games (through Dios Mios and with Devolution as backup option) and have only come across 4 games with problems.
2 I have mentioned the other two (Sonic Gems Collection and Star Wars Rogue Leader 2 ... I have not tested with Devolution yet as I need to dump the discs)

I saw WW was mentioned ... as WW is playable throught Dios Mios I havent given it any attention on Devolution to be honest.

As stated once Im done ... maybe later tonight ... I'll make a writeup of my findings when it comes to compatibility.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
So you need the app and games folder in the same device?
Can you launch the app from SD and load games from HDD for example? Maybe that's the reason why it can't see my games...

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
papermanzero thanks for the intel.
But I think perhaps the dump is not good. I always seems to lock up the wii.
Needing a hard reboot then.

Regarding Devolution with modchip:
Should work with wiikey 1 original as I am using it.
Has not given me any crap about incorrect disks besides disks I had setup with GCOS in the past.

Tested all my gamecube games:
60 work without any issue (full list will be made available later as some require some video mode settings and some need gc interlace)

Virtua Striker > uses audio streaming so need to make it available for Devolution
But not expecting it not to work ;)

Pikmin 2 > seems a bit slow loading with Dios Mios going to test it with Devolution

Games I have had issues with:
Zelda TP - with the mentioned issues ... not sure why we have different results on that.
Metroid Prime 2 > Im saying bad dump perhaps ... going to redump with cleanrip and test.
Sonic Gems and Roque Leader 2 >> Cant get them running with Dios Mios going to test it with Devolution

So if I look back I would say pretty nice compatibilty with the setup of Dios Mios and Devolution :)

EDIT:

Regarding Zelda TP: I think I see the issue now:
Normally an 1:1 rip should be: 1.425.760 kB
My Zelda TP seems to be: 1.425.504 kB

Exact same issue as with
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes which is also
1.425.504 kB

How weird... same for Roque Leader ... perhaps cleanrip could not rip them fully ... I'll retry

Reactions: 1 person

panmusic

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I want to try Splinter Cell Chaos Theory.I am ripping my original game and I am ready to try it with Wiiflow.As you know,the game is a 2-disc game.My question is how to rename the second disc iso in order to be recognized...

nokillmonkeys

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've also tried Star Wars: Rogue Leader (Rogue Squadron 2) and I have the same issue as wiimodesyndrome. Just ripped the game with CleanRip 1.04, put it into the "games" folder and tried to run it with Devolution. The slot blinks twice at a time until i put the disc in. It verifies then flashes 5 times. It freezes afterwards and I have to power off the Wii. The DVV file "GSWE00.DVV" is full of zeroes instead of the usual encryption.
Maybe it is because it is the earliest version of the disc? (1.00)

EDIT: Forgot to mention its the US NTSC version of the game. Also, the bottom of the disc says "DOL-GSWE-0-00 JPN"
You and he must have the same Wii modifications :glare:

tueidj

I R Expert
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If disc 2 is in the /games/ directory and has .iso for the file extension it should get found automatically, otherwise the loader has to tell Devolution where it is. I only tested disc swapping with RE4 and Killer7 but it should work with all games.

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just tested Virtua Striker Pal version on Devolution ... it boots, checks the memory card, then tries to load and hangs on a white screen.
Tested with both real and virtual memory card.
With real: it does above.
With virtual: it hangs when trying to create the save file
So sadly not playable ... the first audio streaming game I cant get working.

Also tested Roque Squadron 2 (PAL) .... it verifies (as it doesnt spit out the disc) but then devolution just kicks me back
I still say this is a bad rip like zelda tp and mp2 for me.

Will rerip those guys in the upcoming hours and see if that changes anything.
Next up Pikmin 2 ... to see if performance is better then under Dios Mios.

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
Got a question.... How good is compatibility vs using Dios Mios; and which MIOS needs to be installed for it to work: cMIOS/MIOSv10?
Another question: Can you use NMM with this?

It uses it's own Virtual Memory card setup if you lack a real Memory Card.
Compatibility well though to answer as I use Devolution only for audio streaming games and games I have issues with on Devolution.
I would suggest using both ;) then compatibilty is really really high.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First I want to thank tueidj for making this loader. I was never big on using sneek/uneek in order to get dios mios working so having this way to play my backups is greatly appreciated. unfortunatly I don't have a USB GECKO to help out but this is what I've gotten from testing out my games via usb:

Works without known problems: (all US games)
Eternal darkness
Skies of Arcadia
Paper mario thousand year door
Sonic gems collection (only sonic racers and sonic CD work without issues)
Virtua quest
Resident evil 0 (except second disk always loads as the first)

Works with minor glitching: (all US games)
fire emblem (character portrats flash when loading new text; sometimes temporaraly changing to a reddish coloured mix)
Geist (multiplayer works without issue, single player has full screen flashing [black pulsating appearance] whenever loading data)
Tales of symphonia (Some text has what appears to be a reddish overlay [options menu for checking text speed and anything in the bottom right where you push the "A" button like "Examine" or "exit" prompts. Also occurs during a skit but only for it's title while being played out.)
Sonic gems (arcade fighters has texture issues, all game gear games have sound garbled and slowed and sometimes crashes [always crashes on reset option])

Unplayable: (all US games)
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 (hangs at loading screen [before the title screen])
GUN (Progessive mode will send you back to HBC where if disabled will hang [both problems occur at loading screen before title screen is displayed])

All multi-disk games have an odd problem where only the first disk is loaded even if I choose disk 2 in the loader. both resident evil 0 and tales of symphonia do it.

Unfortunatly I don't have a usb gecko so thats as much as I can do. If nobody is able to get the problem game dumps by months end I might buy one with my paycheque in order to help out further but I'm more or less posting this here for others to verify and give more info since I can't right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: