Hacking Devolution - Public Release

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just getting caught up on these threads, and I'm loving 'em so far.

"my drive is dead"
"my discs are scratched"
"I lost my discs"
"my discs were stolen"
"..my dog ate it"

lol. I mean c'mon guys. This is probably the least bothersome AP I think I've ever seen. All it's asking of you is that you've come into contact with the disc. Will there be bugs at first? Of course.
We're helping to debug this thing, and people want us to shut up. And it's not just AP, Devolution is inordinately particular about game format and external HDD controllers, as well. Western Digital sucks, as far as Devolution is concerned.

Meh, Western Digital is far more reliable than Seagate or Toshiba goes. But it seems to be quite the picky brand for Devolution. Better not use it until corruption is no longer a potential issue.

Wiimpathy

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I couldn't help but notice, but that's some pretty interesting ASCII in your binary there.
They certainly seem to be rather private messages not meant for your, or our eyes.
How did you come across them?
I saw that too, this is rather funny. Surely a good example of sincere frienship in the community. ;)
The 4 main ways to have access to the PM (that you know for sure) that I see:
- Tueidj's got friends in the GBA's staff.
- He hacked the forums. :D
- Some persons aren't very mindful and let some pastie of their PM floating around...
- A "traitor".

Anyway, great achievement and good luck to tueidj for the following revs.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Didn't work, I guess it's because I have two partitions, oh well =(
Maybe do not recognize your HDD, mine has 3 partitions (first FAT32, NTFS and WBFS) and it works well... and devolution app is loaded from the SD card.
Strange, I have the .iso and .bca files into games folder in the root. My HDD is connected to port 0, and I don't have a patched MIOS.
I don't have any problems with other homebrew apps, they all can see my HDD just fine =(

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Strange, I have the .iso and .bca files into games folder in the root. My HDD is connected to port 0, and I don't have a patched MIOS.
I don't have any problems with other homebrew apps, they all can see my HDD just fine =(
The .bca file is not needed, the HDD in the port 0 is fine and the MIOS has nothing to do whit Devo (it use the IOS of the HBC).
Other apps has a different HDDs detection.

How you're launching the games?
With the sample loader or other?... test with others.

Sorry for my bad engrish lol.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Are the games on the first partition or the second? I dunno, but maybe Devolution only sees the first partition?

thevoiceover

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just getting caught up on these threads, and I'm loving 'em so far.

"my drive is dead"
"my discs are scratched"

I have yet to complain about the AP currently in place although I personally do not agree with it, either way I am more happy that this program was released to us but am willing to deal with many (again I have 5 kids) discs being scratched (a reason I LOVE loaders) and two of my favorite games being actually broken so I am not able to play these.

I did also want to state I am currently trying the r99 version (2012/07/17 build) of Devolution and my Luigis Mansion still isn't loading (fingers crossed will work before I lose this disc or it is scratched/broken). Is there a place we can see change logs?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I did also want to state I am currently trying the r99 version (2012/07/17 build) of Devolution and my Luigis Mansion still isn't loading (fingers crossed will work before I lose this disc or it is scratched/broken). Is there a place we can see change logs?
You have an unreleased revision from the future? Or am I missing something? (The build linked in the first post is r94 according to the first post, and according to the meta.xml in the ZIP, it was released on 10/07/2012 [or 2012/07/10 in your backwards date format :P])

Joel Schmidt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have an unreleased revision from the future? Or am I missing something? (The build linked in the first post is r94 according to the first post, and according to the meta.xml in the ZIP, it was released on 10/07/2012 [or 2012/07/10 in your backwards date format :P])

I was wondering about that also. Hmm, would explain the strange date system :P

Also, USBLoader GX now has support for Devolution. http://code.google.c...l?id=1769#c2790
You will need to redump your isos to follow the directory structure, unless you happen to know them off the top of your head. That said, Devolution was perfectly fine validating dumps made using GX and my copies of PSO Ep I & II and Legend of Zelda Collector's Disc worked fine. I didn't bother testing Metroid Prime as I prefer to play the Metroid Trilogy version.

I haven't had an issues here using Devolution, although granted I only have 3 GC games to use at this time. Going to V Stock tonight to get a copy of Rogue Leader and see if I also have the issues or not. Also, I will be hanging out at the local Play N Trade tomorrow to give the owner/manager a day off. Does anyone have any requests for me to look for and test out with Devo?

Reactions: 1 person

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Just tried Four Swords Adventures and it has pretty severe palette issues, making it a bit unejoyable to really play. However, the GCN-GBA connection does work.

Joel Schmidt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An anti-piracy measure for GameCube (or any old video game console) is useless! Because we can't find NGC games anymore and Nintendo doesn't make any profit

I know it's been a few days since this comment was posted, but I have kept forgetting to reply.

I don't know where you are located Keylogger, but here in the St Louis, MO area, we have 4 Slackers videogames, 2 Play N Trades, 1 former Play n Trade going freelance, 2 other private stores and 2 V Stock (Vintage Stock/Bam!) stores that all carry GameCube games.

Oh, and there is always Craigslist or ebay.

I found that Slackers is the worst for pricing (on anything!) and V Stock is about the fairest. I bought a copy of Phantasy Star Online Ep I & II for $30 in Feburary at V Stock. And they told me that Ep I & II Plus is also listed in their pricing systems as $30. Much better than the scam artists on ebay or craigslist.

Don't forget pawn shops either! I got Zelda: Collector's Disc for $5 with case, manual AND disc :P

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Or 07/10/2012 here in the US. Which is the correct way. :P

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
But you have to break the Wii AP check to run homebrew. And that's a newer currently supported console.
No you don't, and this thread is NOT for discussing AP. Go to the proper topic for it if you want to discuss it (completely needlessly and pointlessly).

That topic is about devolution's AP. Not the Wii console's I was referring to.

What method of loading homebrew on a Wii, doesn't enable piracy of some form?

thevoiceover

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm just reading what my version that I downloaded via here @ start of this thread says at the loader screen (when I hit X to mount my USB drive.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.