Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Drunk_caterpillar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hadn't tried it until today, but Extreme G3 runs at the correct speed now, without me having to change anything. This mod keeps getting better and better. :)

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wonder what the technical reasoning is for Devolution's requirement of only FAT32... (vs also supporting something like NTFS and/or ext3)
I've actually brought this up to tuiedj he said, something along the lines of He's not bothered to write a NTFS library for it. I would be totes happy if NTFS is supported since my Wii HDD is in that format.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've actually brought this up to tuiedj he said, something along the lines of He's not bothered to write a NTFS library for it. I would be totes happy if NTFS is supported since my Wii HDD is in that format.
Have you considered multiple partitions? I have a separate 40GB FAT32 partition on my 750GB external drive purely for all my GameCube game ISOs.

And dang it, I'm not getting email-notification again... it notified me of Maxternal's latest post (#2460) but I wasn't notified of the above two posts...

GameFreakDude

More gorgeous than any Hollywood star!
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I ran my whole GC library through DiscEx. Only The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures worked; these all got stuck in disc verification loops:
  • Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
  • Pikmin 2
  • Sonic Heroes
  • Super Mario Sunshine
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
It's a shame, cuz if they did work, I could fit my whole quite tiny GC library onto my 8 GB SD. Except for that Spyro game I got for Christmas twice one year. I haven't even bothered to rip that one. What's it called again? Who knows who cares

Incidentally, Four Swords Adventures is easily the smallest out of the bunch. It's only 254 megs!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Interesting, looking at these reports it seems that r196 must somehow auto-detect when the timer fix is needed and apply it automatically. The loader option must be just in case it doesn't detect some game that needs it so it can be forced.

Anyway, for those using the WiiFlow Devolution plugin, I made a pack with some additional INI files to set the new options (I made this before realizing that the ones for the speed-fix might not be needed ... but you can choose whether to keep them just in case .. or just delete those ones all together.)

These include one to turn on the speed-fix, one to turn on the speed-fix AND widescreen, and another one for F-Zero AX

Normal config
http://www.mediafire.com/?s4fq79sln8mdhj0
Alt config (Devolution dummy files / shared files with DM(L) )
http://www.mediafire.com/?yh9b8ur7pf1qk74
Included in the original download
Normal : 4445564f (DEVO)
Widescreen : 44455657 (DEVW)

Included in this pack
Speed-fix : 4465766f (Devo)
Speed-fix Widescreen : 44657657 (DevW)
F-Zero GX to AX patch : 44764158 (DvAX)
Also available on my plugin thread, as always.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't try it with Devolution's AX code, but with v4 of the AX Gecko code the game will run in widescreen if your GX save has it set. Therefore, forcing widescreen in Devolution would essentially result in "cinemascope widescreen" (at least this is the result in GX when I tested it on r188).

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I just had the separate widescreen option for those who don't have a widescreen TV.

I don't even have the retail game for devolution and haven't tried the cheat code version with DM(L) (and haven't had my Wii connected to a TV that wasn't physically widescreen for a while now.) so I'm not sure exactly how useful that is or not.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just had the separate widescreen option for those who don't have a widescreen TV.
wat. For those that DON'T have widescreen? Uhh... the widescreen option forces widescreen, so why would a non-widescreen user want that?

I don't even have the retail game for devolution and haven't tried the cheat code version with DM(L) (and haven't had my Wii connected to a TV that wasn't physically widescreen for a while now.) so I'm not sure exactly how useful that is or not.
I've been using Neogamma + actual disc for Gecko codes, and you don't need a physical widescreen TV to test the setting. With an SD 480i/p signal, widescreen must be done via anamorphic and be stretched out by the TV itself. This means the raw pixel-count between a widescreen and non-widescreen signal is exactly the same and therefore you can display an anamorphic widescreen signal even on a standard SDTV (though with a squished image).

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
wat. For those that DON'T have widescreen? Uhh... the widescreen option forces widescreen, so why would a non-widescreen user want that?

I've been using Neogamma + actual disc for Gecko codes, and you don't need a physical widescreen TV to test the setting. With an SD 480i/p signal, widescreen must be done via anamorphic and be stretched out by the TV itself. This means the raw pixel-count between a widescreen and non-widescreen signal is exactly the same and therefore you can display an anamorphic widescreen signal even on a standard SDTV (though with a squished image).
Sorry if that was poorly worded. Maybe I should have said I have a separate non-widescreen version for those with older TV's I just wasn't thinking about the fact that they're probably a minority nowadays and included it in the main pack so the widescreen version is actually the separate download.

And the comment about having the Wii connected to a widescreen TV and having the older, standard dimension TV in another room was not meant to say I couldn't test it. Mostly my point is because the screen's widescreen I always set the widescreen options anyhow. I only turn it off if the graphical errors (on games where present) get too annoying. F-Zero GX runs fine in Widescreen IIRC so I would have the setting on and never noticed that having it switched to AX would have made any difference with widescreen turned off ... until you mentioned it, of course.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
F-Zero GX runs fine in Widescreen IIRC
I think this may be the source of our confusion.

F-Zero GX has a built-in setting in the options menu for widescreen. Surely you'd rather use that then a force-widescreen hack, right? (unless you're intentionally going for the "cinema-widescreen" look :P)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I think this may be the source of our confusion.

F-Zero GX has a built-in setting in the options menu for widescreen. Surely you'd rather use that then a force-widescreen hack, right? (unless you're intentionally going for the "cinema-widescreen" look :P)
Oh, I guess I never looked. I just forced the widescreen hack out of habit. So what you were saying is it seems that AX just has that option always on? (which would make sense since the original hardware only had ONE screen type.)

I'm kinda curious now how much difference there is between the hack, software setting, and the combination of the two compared to having them both turned off but I'll just look at that when I have time ... might be able to just get rid of the extra download clutter all together there.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what you were saying is it seems that AX just has that option always on?
Not quite. I'm saying that, even though AX doesn't have it's own built-in option for widescreen like GX does, AX DOES still read from the GX save what the widescreen setting is set to. If you have GX set to widescreen, then AX will be in widescreen - even though the real arcade AX machine did NOT use widescreen.

I'm kinda curious now how much difference there is between the hack, software setting, and the combination of the two compared
Hack will have 2D elements stretched, in-game option will have the correct size. Hack + in-game option has the 2D elements stretched and has an overall uber-widescreen aspect ratio.

EDIT:
I ran my whole GC library through DiscEx. Only The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures worked;

Incidentally, Four Swords Adventures is easily the smallest out of the bunch. It's only 254 megs!
Have you considered adding this to the "notes" on the Devolution compatibility wiki? I personally think this info is particularly useful, but nobody has been keeping track of it.

Reactions: Maxternal

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Have you considered multiple partitions? I have a separate 40GB FAT32 partition on my 750GB external drive purely for all my GameCube game ISOs.

And dang it, I'm not getting email-notification again... it notified me of Maxternal's latest post (#2460) but I wasn't notified of the above two posts...
I have considered it, but I don't want to do it on that HDD

ederenzi78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For multiple partitions ... I tried, but after copying all my games to another HD and reformatting it .... I discovered that it is not compatible with DIOSMIOS/Devolution!!!! Time wasted!! I will use a different HD (an old one of 250MB) for GC games. The only drawback is that this HD must be connected to an AC adapter (it does not use the USB for current).

ederenzi78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hmm, the directory or whatever shown below ... I can only guess that would happen if you have really long names on your files or folders that go off the screen?
What happens is that almost every time that I cycle through the games, the program creates a new line after the previous one, with the name of the other game. The screen shows something like this (with focus on the last line)
>Animal Crossing
>F-Zero
>Mario Kart

Thanks for everything (and now I'm using a FAT32 HD :-))

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devolution Binary Blob said:
You've got your pretty face You've got disarming eyes You've got such social grace I've got my pretty spies I found you lost misplaced I loved that lovely guise I said I'd try my luck and you said Well you don't, you don't have to try I forgot that night, What you said that night, I had the most exquisite time Well you got that right But it's not the whole story I want it all I court the loveliest of crimes Say it as if it were true We've got the knife you left behind Play it just like you do I wanna hear you mean it When you say I'm not next in line Save it 'cause we've got the knife I hate that bastard too. Seriously, he goes out of his way to look for GPL violations in ModMii. The guy is attacking me and ModMii personally and then gets upset when people accuse him of being the reason ModMii is sometimes falsely identified as a virus. I honestly, think I'm the center of his universe sometimes. It's pretty sad to see such potential go to waste because of a lack of social skills. Sorry p1ng, looks like you'll need to come up with better dirt on tj if you really want his supervisor job. Don't worry I won't tell anyone what you did. and now I'm certain they're reporting ModMii as a virus to many virus scanners, it's kinda funny, they can't do anything to me or my program so they've resorted to childish tactics. I think they contributed to the project and the real brains were marcan and bushing. But I think it was tueidj's idea to add a captcha requirement purposely to mess with ModMii using it... he's a fucking prick. im not gonna say the exact amount yet, but it has a comma and 5 digits. and just keep this part to yourself...team twiizers might have taken my exploit and given it away for free, but i have taken their exploit and sold the shit out of it :D . the exploit used in the hackmii installer is also being used in a commercial product.

The fuck?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT