Status
Not open for further replies.

Developer Playtonic Removes Jontron from Yooka-Laylee Cast

banner yuka.jpg

The developer behind Yooka-Laylee, a Kickstarter-funded spiritual successor to the beloved Banjo-Kazooie series plans to remove the Youtuber Jontron (Jon Jafari) from the game's cast of voice actors via a Day 1 update after his recent series controversial tweets regarding ethnic minorities in America. Jontron was always a big, vocal fan of the series and was invited to collaborate on the project back in February 2015. Many might say that he was pivotal in reviving the interest in Banjo-Kazooie through his content, both on Game Grumps and his own Youtube channel. Playtonic explained their position in an interview with Gameindustry.biz:
"We recently became aware of comments made by voice artist JonTron after development on Yooka-Laylee had been completed (...) JonTron is a talented video presenter who we were initially, two years ago, happy to include as a voice contributor in our game. However, in light of his recent personal viewpoints we have made the decision to remove JonTron's inclusion in the game via a forthcoming content update. We would like to make absolutely clear that we do not endorse or support JonTron's personal viewpoints and that, as an external fan contributor, he does not represent Playtonic in any capacity. Playtonic is a studio that celebrates diversity in all forms and strives to make games that everyone can enjoy. As such, we deeply regret any implied association that could make players feel anything but 100% comfortable in our game worlds, or distract from the incredible goodwill and love shown by our fans and Kickstarter backers."

This recent development in the Jontron controversy raises an important question regarding Free Speech. I can fully understand Playtonic's position - they're distancing themselves from Jontron in order to prevent any damage to their brand. On the other hand, one could argue that Jontron is free to voice his views on his own platform and shouldn't be penalised for them elsewhere.

Naturally this is a very controversial issue, so I'm eager to hear your thoughts on the matter. What's your opinion? Tell us in comments below!

Update: Jontron acknowledged the decision via his Twitter and although he finds it unfortunate, he understands it and wishes the developers a successful launch.

"Unfortunate to see Playtonic remove me from Yooka Laylee, but I understand their decision. I wish them the best with their launch!"

~https://www.twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/845038284967493638

:arrow: Source (Gameindustry.biz)

jimbo13

Terry Crews #1 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was unaware that the First Amendment protected this. Can you point out where the First Amendment says companies must be forced to use voicework if the person they contracted says something they don't like?

Right next to where it says a baker must make homosexuals a cake, it doesn't.

But if you can't discriminate against a 3 gendered transabled leather daddy who has to spank himself 5 times a day in front of the customers I see no reason why you can discriminate against Jon Tron and fire him for whatever reason you see fit, no one else gets too.

s157

Grinder Extraordinaire
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think Playtonic made the wrong decision here, but I don't support it as his political views have no effect on the actual game, but the guilt by association concept is strong.

Seriously though, who cares if VA (whose primary role is grunting sounds) has radical views? I sure as hell don't bother to research names in credits unless their role in it was absolutely crucial.

Reactions: KingVamp

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right next to where it says a baker must make homosexuals a cake, it doesn't.

But if you can't discriminate against a 3 gendered transabled leather daddy who has to spank himself 5 times a day in front of the customers I see no reason why you can discriminate against Jon Tron and fire him for whatever reason you see fit, no one else gets too.
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 prevents discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin, and the case which you mentioned is currently pending. But you already knew that.

Incidentally, where in that case did you see a "3 gendered transabled leather daddy who has to spank himself 5 times a day in front of the customers"? Are you hiding something?

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once again, I feel the opposite on this. Couldn't every game ever be called a cash grab when their primary goal is to make money? Is creativity truly lost on recreating properties in a new fashion utilizing the same measures that created the original property so long ago? Is it that wrong or that terrible to cater to an audience that has been starved of content like this because of the constant AAA in your face open world spiral we have fallen down in the past couple of years? Yookalaylee is the most genuinely unique game to be coming out these recent months despite its familiarity to the property all of those devs worked on YEARS AGO.
In the past 3 months, we have had 3 huge RPG's come out almost back to back. Horizon, Zelda, and Mass Effect. Nioh wasn't far off that trail either. Huge sprawling action RPG's with open world elements and hour long time sinks all hoping to gobble up your money based on buzz words of freedom and blah blah blah.
What is wrong with Yookalaylee coming out as a streamlined 3d platformer that we never really see anymore? Is this desperation for revival, or giving people what they've been longing for that other companies, quite frankly, are never going to give them again?

Is it dead creativity, or revitalized creativity? They still made dozens of original characters, original music using real composers, and poured all of their resources and development into crafting a really pretty game. I just don't see it as a cash-grab. If i did, I could apply those words to every property that has ever come out in the past decade because it could apply in anyway that I spun it.
Because it's NOT creative. Yooka Laylee is literally the same Banjo Kazooie formula with a different coat of paint.

Want to know why Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild isn't just another open world game? It incorporates familiar Zelda gameplay and fuses it with open world gameplay concepts. Quests, flexible tools available at all times, This is what it means to BUILD upon what is already known. This is what makes the series so diverse.

Link Between Worlds. How is this different from other Zelda games? Tools are now available from the beginning. The world is fully available upon the start. The 2D Link feature allows the player to explore the world literally from a two-dimensional point of view. This was carried into Breath of the Wild and Nintendo was very pleased that fans were enjoying this type of gameplay.

Ocarina of Time. Well how is this different than other Zeldas? It's in fucking 3D. Already this poses new challenges for the player who has only experienced this series' puzzles from a 2D, birds-eye view. This introduces challenges where "gosh, maybe I need to look around a bit to find out how to proceed?".

Majora's Mask. We know about Ocarina Time already. Seems like it uses the same formula. Oh crap wait there's a time limit tied in with the gameplay and plot! Oh dang and we need to use Masks to unlock tools and whatnot.

It is through these explorations in innovation such as these that game series continue to thrive and stand on their own. The series entires are identifiable because it continues to return old concepts and still introduce new ideas. Players engage in new and familiar gameplay.

So what does Yooka Laylee do different? Well you are a lizard and a bat.

s71aPws.gif

The main point being, how does this adjustment contribute to overall gameplay?

It is in this Yooka Laylee falls flat. The game is relying on you constantly comparing it to Banjo Kazooie. It just wants to be Banjo Kazooie and nothing else. Not a new Banjo Kazooie, which unique new gameplay innovations, oh no Microsoft already tried that. Just the old ones in a new coat of paint.

Final Fantasy is not a 2D turn-based RPG anymore. The series is incredibly diverse in it's gameplay and Square-Enix builds upon their old concepts with each entry. This is what Banjo Kazooie needs.

This idea that Banjo Kazooie is this stationary type of collecting gameplay is what is truly killing the franchise.

Last edited by Pluupy,
Reactions: Foxi4
D

Deleted User

Wasn't gonna buy the game already because it looked a little empty and bland from the recent trailers but now I definitely will never support this game because I don't tolerate this anti-free speach, safe space(They literally said in the press release they want the game to be a safe space lmfao), PC, SJW and whatever the fuck else you can call this, bullshit.

Reactions: Pluupy

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't gonna buy the game already because it looked a little empty and bland from the recent trailers but now I definitely will never support this game because I don't tolerate this anti-free speach, safe space(They literally said in the press release they want the game to be a safe space lmfao), PC, SJW and whatever the fuck else you can call this, bullshit.
Amusingly, you rail against "PC" and "SJW", yet your signature says you're "triggered" by "people using outdated hax methods", almost as if you need a "safe space" for hax.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a feeling there'd be repercussions for his words. While I begrudgingly agree about this being a first amendment issue ("begrudgingly" because I don't fancy his opinions at all), he is a public figure, albeit on the internet. It goes with general celebrity unwritten rules, which, sigh, I guess he's one as well. What I mean, is basically, keep your mouth shut in terms of extreme opinions, things people will read and take nastily and all that stuff. He's free to spurt out whatever gibberish he has on his mind, but as a public figure, he should've had forethought that companies, organizations, would sack him for the opinions. It happens, he's no exception, this news bit proves he's part of that norm. So really, the argument against Playtonic is fine, but also the argument that the fucker deserved it for compromising his public image. He's not any old internet user who can say shit and not suffer for it, in that respect it's hard to really feel sympathetic for him.

As for the game, honestly it's the first time I heard of it. Good intentions to be a spiritual successor to a beloved game in my childhood, but, I'd rather just play that game.

Noroxus

Margen67 Supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It seems to fall back onto the same Freedom of Speech problem.
I think it's a good thing. People should be allowed to say what you want. But then I would still want to be able call them a dick, and refuse to distribute their content.
I think Freedom of Speech shouldn't protect you from the consequences of what you have said, it should just allow you to say it.

Yes. Freedom of Speech doesn't mean people gotta listen to your shit. It is so tiring to hear people shouting "BUT MY FREEDOM OF SPEECH" when people don't listen on their racist conversations. Say what the heck you want but I certainly do not have to listen to your bullshit...

Thats just imo

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Freedom of Speech doesn't mean people gotta listen to your shit. It is so tiring to hear people shouting "BUT MY FREEDOM OF SPEECH" when people don't listen on their racist conversations. Say what the heck you want but I certainly do not have to listen to your bullshit...

Thats just imo
How about this example: Let's suppose some Internet user who's notorious for harassing people he doesn't like tries to submit a patch for a project I'm working on, and for exaggeration purposes, the patch is lined with rants about certain individuals he doesn't like. Would it be a "FREE SPEACH VIOLATION!!1!" if I rejected the patch because I didn't approve of his behavior, or would I be forced to accept it in order to satisfy the "anti-SJWs" (who, incidentally, become the very thing they hate)?

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: -co
Reactions: Alex658 and yuyuyup

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
So based on the majority of the people here due to the 1st amendment I can say whatever I like without any consequences?

So if I sat up here and said white people are shithead red neck crackers and homosexuals are an abomination and Muslims are all crazy suicide bombers and women are nothing more than my cum dumpster....yall cant do anything because i have my right to free speech which frees me from any consequences.

SomeKindOfUsername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is not a first amendment issue and anybody that suggests as much is foolish. If you think it is then you probably take the phrase "freedom of speech" a little too literally (it's more like "protected speech" or "you can say some things without the government coming after you but it absolutely does not prevent anybody else from taking issue with what you said").

It says more that some people would rather Playtonic be forced to keep something in their game as opposed to allowing them the freedom to remove it.
You are of course free to express your disapproval, but to suggest they did something illegal is out of line. As for calling them petty, I'd just like to point out that you have people saying they won't buy the game now.

Last edited by SomeKindOfUsername,

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay ranting time.
For the love of everything that is right, stop throwing things like 1st amendment or any other arguments like that for every PC/SJW bullshit that happens in the world. The divine law of the USA (that seems to become just "the law" on the internet) doesn't apply to other countries. It's really not hard to understand but I always feel that some people fail to remember that.
Playtonic Games, just like Rare, is based in the UK.

Also. That dude is not in legal trouble for what he said, his freedom of speech is respected. One company just decided that his philosophily wasn't compatible with them. That's it. Just like if you yell racist comments on the street you might end up getting punched in the face. Freedom of speech yes, but be responsible for it.

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't agree with either Jontron or Destiny's opinions in that debate and personally I think it was the equivalent of special needs kids fighting on an ideological playground but no matter how stupid I think his statements or were or how badly he handled it I'll defend his right to say it. This was extreme in my opinion.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Free speech does not exist in Europe. If you speak freely on certain matters, you can loose your job and go to jail.
I kind of think that if you happened to promote meetings and give public speeches on something like "benefits of child molestation and methods to achieve it in the USA avoiding punishment" you would go in jail, in the USA... Free speech has some limits.

Kikirini

Zelda Fangirl
Trophies
Website
kuroshouri.com
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, you can feel whatever what you want to about this news, but stop trying to make it a first amendment issue.
Free Speech means you can't be arrested for what you say but doesn't mean that voicing your opinions has no consequences. Please research the laws before you use them in an argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative