Question Detailed explanation on prevent GC update

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by GeraltOfRivia, Aug 14, 2018.

1. GeraltOfRivia
    OP

GeraltOfRivia Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2018
    Italy
    Hey there guys, could you please explain me with some examples about game cart update and how it works? I also would like to know how the "prevent GC update" option is working when you upgrade to a newer firmware version. I am sorry but I really can't get into it. Thanx a lot to everyone!

2. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    It blocks the *card reader* from working 100% so that it does not get updated.
    If you update to 4.0 or greater the *card reader* gets updated. So when you downgrade to a firmware below 4.0, it will not work anymore and will not read cards on firmware's below that <this last bit basically shows that I was talking about that....

Last edited by Biff627, Aug 14, 2018
  3. Konsus

Konsus Member

Newcomer
    Oct 21, 2016
    Germany
    Simply wrong.

Not the gamecards themselves get update but the cartridge reader. This new (GCR) firmware is incompatible with lower FWs of the Switch.
    So when you update your console from e.g. 3.0.0 to 4.0.0 you can only read your physical games on 4.0.0<= (every physical game)

Rajkosto made a Hekate Mod to prevent GC updating

4. Krovax

Krovax Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    United Kingdom
    For completeness sake; if you're already on or above 4.0 you have no use of it since, as the people above have said, the reader would have already updated.

Last edited by Krovax, Aug 14, 2018
  5. Biff627

Biff627 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    You know what I mean -.-

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Literally replace game card with card read jeez

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

There fixed? Happy? Jesus Christ