Hacking Question Detailed explanation on prevent GC update

GeraltOfRivia

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hey there guys, could you please explain me with some examples about game cart update and how it works? I also would like to know how the "prevent GC update" option is working when you upgrade to a newer firmware version. I am sorry but I really can't get into it. Thanx a lot to everyone!

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It blocks the *card reader* from working 100% so that it does not get updated.
If you update to 4.0 or greater the *card reader* gets updated. So when you downgrade to a firmware below 4.0, it will not work anymore and will not read cards on firmware's below that <this last bit basically shows that I was talking about that....

Last edited by Lumince,

Konsus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It blocks the Game Cart from working 100% so that it does not get updated.
If you update to 4.0 or greater the game cart gets updated. So when you downgrade to a firmware below 4.0, it will not work anymore and will not read cards on firmwares below that

Simply wrong.

Not the gamecards themselves get update but the cartridge reader. This new (GCR) firmware is incompatible with lower FWs of the Switch.
So when you update your console from e.g. 3.0.0 to 4.0.0 you can only read your physical games on 4.0.0<= (every physical game)

Rajkosto made a Hekate Mod to prevent GC updating

Krovax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For completeness sake; if you're already on or above 4.0 you have no use of it since, as the people above have said, the reader would have already updated.

Last edited by Krovax,

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simply wrong.

Not the gamecards themselves get update but the cartridge reader. This new (GCR) firmware is incompatible with lower FWs of the Switch.
So when you update your console from e.g. 3.0.0 to 4.0.0 you can only read your physical games on 4.0.0<= (every physical game)

You know what I mean -.-

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Literally replace game card with card read jeez

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Simply wrong.

There fixed? Happy? Jesus Christ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.