Homebrew DeSmuME Wii - DS Emulator for Wii in development.

alp63

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I appreciate your work!!
smile.gif

by the way, some issues still on rev.180.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the error compilation video ^^

the flicker color bug is fixable by setting a frame skipping to 1 (or 3 etc.), but it will fix only 1 screen at a time, either top or bottom.

known game so far with that rendering problem :
- Electroplankton
- Pac Pix
- Avalon
- Infinite space
- Zelda spirit tracks

The sound noise occurs often on videos, but also while playing (like Polarium).
On Avalon code, I spotted that at the end of the video, the sound is getting better for 1sec. like if less sound/instrument/samples corrected the problem.

Warriorccc0

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Using r180, all of the Ace Attorney games (All 3 Phoenix Wrights, Apollo Justice and Miles Edgeworth) work with the same compatibility, they all work but are slow, especially when displaying text.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
spinal_cord said:
Bladexdsl said:
you expect it to work perfect from the start?

No, not at all. It's just that r180 does sound like it's been going for quite a while now. A lot of emu devs try to prioritize emulation speed over game compatibility, at least at first.
well this seems to be the opposite quite a few games work but their incredibly slow.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Noooo, my wii just died while I was testing few Pokemon games
frown.gif

There's an odor of burned and it's no longer powered
frown.gif

Sorry I can't help more...
Good bye boot2 Wii, you served me well ;__;

Maybe CPU didn't like to be overpowered from the emulator ? ;__;

scanff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Cyan, Sorry to hear that Cyan, how long have you had your Wii? There's certainly nothing special with Desmume that would cause that. Hopefully it can be fixed, you've been a great help with testing.

@alp63, Yes I'm aware of the color issues, we need to do an end-to-end on the gpu code and figure out where the best place to convert color is.

-- About speed, r180 was purely to fix compatibility, nothing has been done to speed up the emulation. Once we are happy with everything we'll work on speed.

OArikadoO

Trophies
Website
arikadosblog.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
No, not at all. It's just that r180 does sound like it's been going for quite a while now. A lot of emu devs try to prioritize emulation speed over game compatibility, at least at first.
Oh shit dood, I forgot that we work for you
tongue.gif

Seriously. I began working on this emulator in mid July last year. I won't bother explaining why this is more difficult to work on then any other emulator on the Wii (this information is on my blog if you so care to read up : http://arikadosblog.blogspot.com ). When I began it, Wintermute (primary devkitPRO author and founder) laughed in my face telling me I would never even be able to get it to emulate much less at a decent speed (with a frameskip or two, the phoenix wright games and yoshis island and many others now run at full speed). The state of this emulator is nothing short of incredible.

With every revision we improve the emulator. There's a ton of things which need to be improved ranging from freeing up memory to increasing compatibility to increasing speed. If you've ever worked on a piece of code which needs to be improved in many areas you'd find yourself inadvertently improving things in a nonsensical order as you work to try and improve one thing (let's say speed in this case as it is indeed our primary concern). In the end, you end up improving the overall state of the code as well as accomplishing your goal. Well we haven't accomplished our goal of a full speed Nintendo DS emulator on the Wii yet, we are inching closer every day through improving other aspects of the emulator.

If games are too slow, press + on the Wiimote once or twice (or even thrice? o_0) to turn up the frameskip. If that doesn't help, wait or (dare I say it) work on the emulator yourself.

I guess what I'm trying to avoid doing is giving you a big fat f*ck you. I've personally logged more than several hundred hours working on this project over the last year. Contribute something yourself (assistance to users , fill in the compatibility list , moral support , code , a donation) or please just get the hell out. Thanks.

Edit: Btw, Cyan, I am so sorry to read about your Wii
frown.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@Scanff :
it was a launch day wii. Though, I care about it as it was a boot2 enable and pre-LU64 (and couldn't read DVD9).
I'll have to do more care with the next one not to brick it with an old ios (I'll buy a new one for sure if it's not the fuse)

@Bladexdsl :
I wouldn't send something to nintendo, even less when there's a modchip soldered inside. and they will charge more because there's softmod too. better buy a new one for the same price.

Edit : ahhhh, just realized it's my birthday, damn what a bad present I obtained T_T
The new year starts badly.

dlf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt very many people (although it's probably me) can't do much in C++, let alone assembly (PPC?). All I can do in C++ is print hello world to the screen., doubt I can remember how to do even that.

OArikadoO

Trophies
Website
arikadosblog.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
I doubt very many people (although it's probably me) can't do much in C++, let alone assembly (PPC?). All I can do in C++ is print hello world to the screen., doubt I can remember how to do even that.
You don't have to code to be able to help out. Instead, you can help other users, give us moral support (saying 'good job please keep it up' goes a long way), fill in the compatibility lists, or spare one of us a dollar. I'm sure that the creative people here can think of other non-coding related tasks to perform to help us out.

dlf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do SDHC cards work? If I had more DS games (and the space on my USB external, I guess) I could probably try some games with r180.

Oh and the games that require (or use) the DS on the side, how do we get the picture to "flip" or turn?

luckwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
Noooo, my wii just died while I was testing few Pokemon games
frown.gif

There's an odor of burned and it's no longer powered
frown.gif

Sorry I can't help more...
Good bye boot2 Wii, you served me well ;__;

Maybe CPU didn't like to be overpowered from the emulator ? ;__;

Mine shorted to ground internally at the Gamecube memory card slot. I didn't know this at first. The Wii kept tripping on power up. About a 1 second or less red light green light game. Anyway, I opened it up and removed one component at a time until the fault cleared. That being the Gamecube slot to PC board connection. Mine had some soldering flash stuck between the two. Once cleared, I was back in business.

Not saying you will be as lucky, but you would be surprised at how many items you can remove to isolate from the problem. Its worth a shot before you just chit can it. The overcurrent protection is actually halfway decent in the Wii. See if you can clear it.

dlf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NOTE: ALL the following games are run on a USB hardrive -- One 750 GB Western Digital My Book. All of these are run using REV 180.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis ----- Very slow (duh!), choppy sound (somewhat like old tv static) and the colors aren't always right, they look funky and not like they should. I think it's both screens but mostly the bottom I believe.

Metroid Prime Hunters ---- Slow loading title, mostly flashy (almost to the point of giving seizures I think) and once again mismatched colors.

My Chinese Coach (& I think it's all the My (Language) Coach) ---- The title that gives a note about using headphones and with the company (sensorsweep?) is slow and gives a buzzy / static sound.

New Super Mario Brothers DS ---- The touch screen breifly shows green, the main title (with the options I think) is slow, all colors look how they should [i think], and in the intro video Lakitu (the cloud) doesn't show over Peaches castle, and this was where i tried another game. So I don't know how the rest looks.

Phantom Hourglass ---- Title with water doesn't show, music plays but the touch screen responds to the Wiimote and allows you to move on. Music & Introvideo (the backstory) is not quick.

Professor Layton & The curious Village --- The screen with the car is choppy, but allows for you to move on. I got to the intro video (where the normal voice acting would explain the story) but that sounded horribly so I stopped.

Diabolical box (Professor Layton) -- About the same as all the rest [except mismatched colors]

Sonic Classic collection -- Black screen, no sound, I don't think the touchscreen responds.

Tetris DS -- Intro (with link & the tetris peices) is slow, choppy, but I got to play some of the standard, that's still slow and some of the (background) colors on the touchscreen are funky/mismatched.

Bowsers Inside Story --- On the screen where Mario & Luigi speak "Nintendo" is slow, far as I got I think

Mario 64 (KIOSK VERSION!) --- The touch screen breifly has a green screen than goes back but eventually goes to a star & Mario's head.

Ridge Racer DS --- Crackly screen

Sonic Rush --- The intro music slow, Sonic saying "sonic rush" sounds almost full speed. The rest is slow

Burnout Legends --- sounds mostly normal / full speed, I think after several screens (almost to the point of starting a race) the top screen is given a lot of mismatched colors

That's far as I've gotten.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am pleased to tell you people that Ninja Gaiden DS is playable but slow and no rotate supporting yet.
smile.gif

For Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Title Screen is slow and when I press start and on the bottom is black screen but the top is showing okay. Still, I cannot do anything because on the bottom of the black screen which I cannot see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: If you get the words yawn and wut you'll be golden +1