Decide my future career.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is a good paying, math-reliant profession should I pursue?

How much do programmers get paid, anyway?

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
It depends on the state you are located.
I've heard the best area around the east coast is the Washington, DC metro. area.

In a city called Bethesda salary is pretty good. Welcome to the field, lil' Linky, I'm a programmer too.

Ahh... soon you'll stop being Linkyboy to turn into Linkyguy and then Linkyadult and after a while Linkysenior and Linkyold. Right now I'm not working on any company though.

Edit:
I hear there's a lot of money in Snake Oil.

WTF mthrnite what have you done with your avatar and sig?!?!, my eyes!!!!!!, my eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyes!!

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Well im going for programmer and the good thing are that there are not so many choosing that cereer in Denmark rigth now.
Means good payment
smile.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some might say it is unwise to get your fellow 'tempers to choose this sort of thing. I say it is probably better than any careers "advice" centres I have ever been too.

Every fool and his donkey has some computer qualifications these days so you will need to have some serious ones to compete. Still if you do it right (i.e. do not get an MCSE and call it a day) then you can get places. There are three main types of computing qualification:
electrical -
Probably fairly self explanatory: tends to focus more on hardware and the software around it: you will not write the next MS office but a graphics card/new instruction set is possible.

straight computing
This is the archetypal qualification. Lots of everything and fairly well rounded unless you choose to bias it.

maths:
Some will advise against it but this more straight computing than electrical, it will however enable you to get bored and switch with relative ease and you can find yourself dealing with the gritty realities of video codecs and high performance stuff.

Any of the above three can get you a technician type job and to some extent they are not set in stone. All will have major areas of overlap.

As for other maths stuff:
Accountant: get into the legal side of things (accountancy and law qualifications are fairly readily available) and you can have a damn interesting career.

Engineer: there are about 90 different proper engineering careers that I can think of and they all require you to be pretty hot on the maths front. (electrical, integrated, materials, mechanical, civil, aerospace, biomedical, design, automotive, machine, fluid mechanics and to a lesser extent chemical. That is a bunch of very broad categories too. Mechanical, fluid mechanics and aerospace are probably the more maths oriented of the lot but I would not count out the rest.

A straight up maths qualification can also do stuff if you have a minor (if I understand the US education system correctly).

psst mrthnite you are supposed to say Aeon Silk

mcsquared

Trophies
XP
Country
if i was going back to uni i'd definitely be looking at engineering, keep telling my 6th form to look at it all the time but they cock their nose up at it thinking its a shit job

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
be a pharmacist ... it involves some math (counting pills as you drop them into a bottle) and you'll make an obscene amount of dollars (considering what the job involves).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
if i was going back to uni i'd definitely be looking at engineering, keep telling my 6th form to look at it all the time but they cock their nose up at it thinking its a shit job

Unless academia is you chosen course or you go into Europe you will soon realise the UK consists of paper pushers and the service industry.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sell drugs. It's a good way to make money. j/k

Well, I don't know about this, as I don't even know what I'll do yet... and I'm already in 10th grade. *sigh*

It depends on the state you are located.
I've heard the best area around the east coast is the Washington, DC metro. area.

In a city called Bethesda salary is pretty good. Welcome to the field, lil' Linky, I'm a programmer too.

Ahh... soon you'll stop being Linkyboy to turn into Linkyguy and then Linkyadult and after a while Linkysenior and Linkyold. Right now I'm not working on any company though.

Edit:
I hear there's a lot of money in Snake Oil.

WTF mthrnite what have you done with your avatar and sig?!?!, my eyes!!!!!!, my eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeyes!!
I didn't even know it was mthrnite until you pointed that out.
rofl2.gif

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The American worker is being undercut by illegal immigrantion, offshoring and an Army of H1B's alike. The only work left in five years will be political lobbyist, bartender, serving ho and personal injury attorney.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The American worker is being undercut by illegal immigrantion, offshoring and an Army of H1B's alike. The only work left in five years will be political lobbyist, bartender, serving ho and personal injury attorney.

Yes all those illegal immigrants taking our jobs as Engineers and commercial programmers.
ph34r.gif
ph34r.gif

I dont know about you guys, but i chose my career on what i like. (Electrical Engineering and Some Computer Science) It Just turns out thats theyre pretty well paid jobs
biggrin.gif

EDIT: Taras: COMPTON?!?! Im in South Gate Yo.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
do what interests you linkiboy, I couldn't imagine doing a job a hated for the rest of my life.

"be a pharmacist ... it involves some math (counting pills as you drop them into a bottle) and you'll make an obscene amount of dollars (considering what the job involves)."

I'm doing pharmacology at uni next year
wink.gif
good times

cheapassdave

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
do what interests you linkiboy, I couldn't imagine doing a job a hated for the rest of my life.

"be a pharmacist ... it involves some math (counting pills as you drop them into a bottle) and you'll make an obscene amount of dollars (considering what the job involves)."

I'm doing pharmacology at uni next year
wink.gif
good times

dont you have to be in school (college) for 10 years to be a pharmacist?
ohmy.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-