LordLandon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, AKAIO is great - but I have some questions/suggestions for it's devs:
1. Does the new DMA-quick/save/whatever mode use up power quicker than the old DMA did? It seems like it might be...
2. Can there be an option to choose which you want to use by default?
3. Is it possible to make a global patch option for backlight manipulation? Having to enable individual backlight cheats for each game is kinda meh.
4. Is it possible to activate download play from the AKAIO menu? I, among quite a few people it seems, do that silly thing with the battery to make the health warning screen go bai. This makes download play very sad. Perhaps some magic with the program counter is possible to activate it from AKAIO, similarly to how the PassMe methods work?

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
LordLandon said:
1. Does the new DMA-quick/save/whatever mode use up power quicker than the old DMA did? It seems like it might be...
no, it just adds a different hooking method which speeds up somethings. if anything it's more optimized and would help the performance. in either regard it has nothing to do with the battery. its a patch applied for 1-2 seconds while the game loads.

QUOTE said:
2. Can there be an option to choose which you want to use by default?
many people have asked for this recently. right now norm is working with a user in our irc channel to fix all of the games with problems. for example, if a game only works in non-dma, it is being forced to boot that way. the plan is to iron out all of the problem games so the user does not have to press any buttons. dl the latest loaders, as they already contain a large amount of these fixes

QUOTE said:
3. Is it possible to make a global patch option for backlight manipulation? Having to enable individual backlight cheats for each game is kinda meh.
this would be questions for narin or curly over in the official cheat thread. norm and smiths have nothing to do with cheats, they simply provide an engine to use the codes someone else gathers for the database. the little i know about cheats is that the require a gameid for association. now sure how you would associate it with all games, unless perhaps it was an asm hack.

4. Is it possible to activate download play from the AKAIO menu? I, among quite a few people it seems, do that silly thing with the battery to make the health warning screen go bai. This makes download play very sad. Perhaps some magic with the program counter is possible to activate it from AKAIO, similarly to how the PassMe methods work?

i'm not sure of the specifics of this one. all i know is that download play runs in the ds firmware, after you boot the the ak you are no longer in that firmware, you are running a cart. this is a question for norm and i'll leave it at that.

-another world

g.crow

beide mittelfinger hoch
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
now that there is this thread, the following things need to be fixed please:

- brightness control doesnt work at all on dsi
- dsi has to be set to english, else the ak2 doesnt work (ez5i works fine, regardless of language settings)

sry for my bad english, im drunken too^^

cheers

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
OK this may be a silly question but...

I've got a Acekard 2i & a DSi - I was just wondering if there's plans for the AKAIO to have the option of 'not seeing Slot-2' & an option to 'Show SD-Card'

I'm thinking what with the SDHC capability of the DSi - you could have Movies on the SD card, & perhaps a pathc to Moonshell could 'see' the SD card to play larger files from

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i know that the 2i is compatible with the 'Phat' & 'Lite' & that's why the 'Slot-2' is shown
All I'm asking is - Is it possible to add a couple of options in 'GlobalSettings.ini' to allow us to Hide/Show the 'slot-2/SD' on the next 'update' ?

Something like:-
HideSlot2=True/False
HideSD= True/False

Those with Phat/Lite would have
HideSlot2=False
HideSD=True

Those with DSi would have
HideSlot2=True
HideSD=False

Of course I guess that even if you 'showed' the SD card - if the Homebrew isn't programmed for DSi then it won't access it - it may even not be possible to even access SD from within Flashcard Firmware
due to the way the DSi is made (A bit like the GBA mode of the Phat/Lite - you can't 'soft-reset' back to firmware once you go to GBA mode - you need to switch off)

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i'm against more ini settings. we don't need more clutter in the globalsettings.ini. what you need is a valid way to detect if you are running on a dsi and then swap the icons. you can softreset on the gba, i do it all the time with my m3 lite slot-2 linker.

-another world

LordLandon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, what I figure regarding the backlight, is that if they can hook keys to soft reset using the global patching option, they should be able to do the same for backlight, ni? As for the download play thing, the PassMe function of the acekard, if I understand correctly, just sets the program counter of the DS to the address of Slot 2 memory... Can't that address be similarly set to a location in the firmware?

LordLandon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for bump, but it'd be great if one of the AKAIO devs, smiths/norm could reply to this... These seem like useful features to have, and from my completely uninformed perspective seem doable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D