Hacking DealExtreme responds to me about the fake DSTT

klein

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cerenade said:
i got mine the gold dotted one, it seems fine, it plays all the game i put on it, even games that wouldnt work on my ak2. and someone commented about teh cart heating up after some play time, i played it for a good awhile, it wasn't even warm. i guess i am satisified with it, except the interface is nowhere near as good as the ak2

The fakes do the same thing, it is just that I am worried the thing will just stop working one day or the spring will break and cause a short circuit or something a month later.

Also, that is weird English on the DSTT page. I just hope Dealexteme is actually talking to DSTT about this. I doubt that they would be getting fakes and making up this gold dot thing on purpose just for a quick buck but you never know.

aero125

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
Yes, netter, freshly baked and hot from oven today.

So the real DSTT is telling the world in plain and simple "English" now that they do not recognise the J2 Gold Dot.

I choose to believe the manufacturer than ..... whatever.

netter said:
Interesting...
The english version of official webpage also has the warning message now.
http://www.ndstt.com/english/index_en.htm

QUOTE said:
Warning: If the fake cards use DSTT kernel, it is likely to damage hardware devices (such as burn NDS, burn cards), and to cause serious losses. Please pay more attention to choose the right one.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the DSTT team doesn't say anything on their web site (that I could find) about a gold dot or "J2". It simply warns against using their firmware on "fake" carts, claiming that the firmware will cause damage to other carts (which seems highly unlikely to me).

So far, the only information about what a fake cart might look like was in that other thread, and DX seems to be claiming rather emphatically that the gold dot does not indicate a fake cart (their carts are also missing the J2 which was claimed to be present on fake carts).

So, it's still unclear whether the carts being sold by DX are fake or not.

-Bri

klein

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just posted something on DealExtreme asking if they have seen the inside of this flashcart. Because if I get one of these J2 I might just open the thing up(though it may break) to actually put this to rest.

cerenade

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
klein said:
I just posted something on DealExtreme asking if they have seen the inside of this flashcart. Because if I get one of these J2 I might just open the thing up(though it may break) to actually put this to rest.

mine has the gold dot but not the j2 thing, so idk havent tried to open it tho

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
aero125 said:
No, Bri, there's J2, as well as gold dot, in the DSTT from DX. I did received them.

Bri said:
Except that the ones from DX have the gold dot but no J2. Fake or not?

-Bri

I thought someone had mentioned that theirs had a gold dot but no J2.

QUOTE(cerenade @ Aug 30 2008, 08:08 AM)

I thought so! But I should have clarified by saying that some of the ones from DX apparently have no J2 because some clearly do. So I guess the gold dot is the best way to tell a fake.

-Bri

cerenade

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bri said:
aero125 said:
No, Bri, there's J2, as well as gold dot, in the DSTT from DX. I did received them.

Bri said:
Except that the ones from DX have the gold dot but no J2. Fake or not?

-Bri

I thought someone had mentioned that theirs had a gold dot but no J2.

QUOTE(cerenade @ Aug 30 2008, 08:08 AM)

I thought so!

-Bri

yeah that was me, I'm rather sure it's the same as the one labeled fake, just looking inside it that is, I don't really want to open it

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
-Bri
The cart I recently received from DX has both the gold dot and the 'J2'.
Its partially covered by the white plastic, but comparing my older dstt to the new one the J2 marking is only present on the new one.

It works fine and does not get warm in the slightest, and I'm not worried about the build quality.

I think the issue I and others have is the DSTT warning (which I acknowledge may very likely be BS to promote sales of carts they profit from vs clones), and I/we dont know enough about the workings of the carts to know if it is possible for them to 'burn' the carts with a future OS update by over-clocking or over-volting components.

If a new DSTT firmware come out, I'll be interested to see how it runs on my 'fake' vs my 'real' cart.

cerenade

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Count Duckula said:
-Bri
The cart I recently received from DX has both the gold dot and the 'J2'.
Its partially covered by the white plastic, but comparing my older dstt to the new one the J2 marking is only present on the new one.

It works fine and does not get warm in the slightest, and I'm not worried about the build quality.

I think the issue I and others have is the DSTT warning (which I acknowledge may very likely be BS to promote sales of carts they profit from vs clones), and I/we dont know enough about the workings of the carts to know if it is possible for them to 'burn' the carts with a future OS update by over-clocking or over-volting components.

If a new DSTT firmware come out, I'll be interested to see how it runs on my 'fake' vs my 'real' cart.

I argee with you tis what I said before there is no problem at all with the 'fake' carts. Only concern I really have is if the dstt team saying their new fw will break it, if that actually will ever happen.

klein

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I just got my DSTT today and it has the gold dot but not the J2. However, after examining the my cart I also looked for other features the fake had.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=101132

See the dark green lines on the bottom? The real DSTT has thicker ones. Also in the buttom middle to the left of the DSTT on the card there are three dots on the real one, but only two on the fake. I doubt the company can somehow break this unless they do some studying of it and know its limits.

Also, I tried using a high power flashlight to look inside the DSTT since it is simi transparent on the back but I keep on getting to much reflection then being able to see the chip in the top left.

EDIT: How do I take out the reader thing so I can put the micro sd in? I can't get it to move and I don't want to break it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1