Gaming DDOS Protection?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In order to run a server, you have to open a port and, naturally, opening a port opens you to certain dangers. You can do several things to prevent unwanted traffic: set up a firewall to drop connections from IP's that ping you repeatedly, blacklist offending IP's, limit the maximum number of connections on the port, set up your server via an external DNS service rather than your own IP address or, if it's really bad, rent a server rather than host yourself. You could also set up a sign-up website for your server so that your IP is propagated only to actual players on a whitelist.

Reactions: Margen67

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Foxi4, he can also use hamachi in this case? he creates a hamachi network, host the server on hamachi and only allow certain people for join that network...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi4, he can also use hamachi in this case? he creates a hamachi network, host the server on hamachi and only allow certain people for join that network...
He could use tunneling to control excess traffic, sure, but I wouldn't rely on just that as a solution - it's just adding an extra node. Some form of traffic control would still have to be implemented.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My Minecraft Server Got DDosed Lol. Anyone Know Of Good DDOS Protection?

Most server hosts will offer some sort of DDoS protection but it's not cheap.
Still, DDoS protection can only do so much - if the attack is big enough it will saturate the connection even if you have professional DDoS protection.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMvART9kb8