Homebrew Question DBI - USB install doesn't work anymore on 2 out of 3 USB port

arabtm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
hi all especially @duckbill007,

Today I experienced a strange behavior with DBI installer where I can't install NSP via USB anymore, on my usual port that I use.
I do realize last night there was a quite major windows 10 update, perhaps something changed, but I'm puzzled what is it.

what is more confusing is that after trying all 3 USB ports, luckily one of the port works for USB install (I usually use it for wireless mouse adapter).
when I run dbibackend.exe server, one usb port doesn't detect at all, one port somehow detect the server but failed during installation (switch connection lost), the third USB port works fine.
cable is fine, switch is still charging when I plug it to all of the ports.
btw, I checked on the failed USB port, MTP transfer works fine. I can still access the SD card and delete files.

Perhaps anybody can guide me on how to solve/debug this issue?
I checked with zadig, the driver is still detected as libusbK when I run dbi.
i'm using DBI version 269.

thanks in advance for the help! :)

Last edited by arabtm,

arabtm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
As for me, I have zero experience with windows.
On Linux I never have any issues with usb, mtp and python.

oh. bummer ^^'
thank you for replying though :)

perhaps someone else might help me with this issue.

btw, I want to try the latest DBI 286, but the dbibackend is not .exe in github repo. is it the same as the previous versions?

Last edited by arabtm,

xs4all

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
so after fiddling around, I found the solution where I simply install tinfoil driver and reg file from here:

https://github.com/blawar/nut/releases

I assume the windows update messes with the reg file and/or it somehow remove the libusbK driver.

hope this helps if anyone else is having this problem :)
case closed!

Can confirm this fixed my issue as well, since this was my first use of DBI, device manager shows it's connected as DBI with a "!" mark saying drivers are not installed.

Long story short, been a SX OS user since day one, upgraded the FW that broke SX OS, I was kidding myself a new update will come out soon, so a few days ago, upgraded to Atmosphere, it was a painless and simple process. I was up and running in no time using my old emuNAND. Since I got the process of booting into Atmosphere worked out using the SX OS dongle, I started fresh, wiped my sd card and created a new emuNAND, needed to find a new nsp/xci installer, I came across DBI, great software.

ADDED NOTES:
Just wanted to add that in MTP mode, prior to the driver install, works fine. The ability to drag and drop the files to install is a great feature without the need for the backend app that is required on the PC side for install title on usb option connected to the PC.

So if your using thr MTP option to install, then you dont need to worry about the driver install since that is only related to the install title on usb option.

Last edited by xs4all,
Reactions: arabtm

RaynorBlackwood

Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
Germany
Hello Guys, this thread is i little bit old, but i wanna get some help instead, if possible.
Im usin DBI for the first Time und my SD Card is formatted in FAT32 cause of Lakka and its safer (you know why) ..
the problem is if one file is bigger than 4 GB i cant send it to my SD Card, but there is a solution with DBI MTP Installation, and when im using it, it says over 2h installation Time and it aborts for no reason, the file is just 2 GB big.
Im using a fast Cable and a USB3 Port, did i anything wrong?

arabtm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hello Guys, this thread is i little bit old, but i wanna get some help instead, if possible.
Im usin DBI for the first Time und my SD Card is formatted in FAT32 cause of Lakka and its safer (you know why) ..
the problem is if one file is bigger than 4 GB i cant send it to my SD Card, but there is a solution with DBI MTP Installation, and when im using it, it says over 2h installation Time and it aborts for no reason, the file is just 2 GB big.
Im using a fast Cable and a USB3 Port, did i anything wrong?

hi. this thread is unrelated to your question, but maybe I could help.
it's better if you use dbibackend.exe running in your computer, and then select install from USB from DBI homebrew in your switch.
you can download it from here: https://github.com/rashevskyv/dbi/releases

I find the MTP transfer is tad bit slower than using the dbibackend.exe. I've never have problems with file bigger than 4GB, and I also use FAT32 SD card.

Reactions: RaynorBlackwood

RaynorBlackwood

Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
Germany
hi. this thread is unrelated to your question, but maybe I could help.
it's better if you use dbibackend.exe running in your computer, and then select install from USB from DBI homebrew in your switch.
you can download it from here: https://github.com/rashevskyv/dbi/releases

I find the MTP transfer is tad bit slower than using the dbibackend.exe. I've never have problems with file bigger than 4GB, and I also use FAT32 SD card.
Do you use windows?
If yes you cant send files to sd over 4 gb, its technically impossible through windows.
I could do it over ftp, but the transfer speed is much lower.

Dbibackend.exe is coming up and when i choose "USB Installation" in DBI, nothing happens, DBI is just waiting for starting the backend.

arabtm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Do you use windows?
If yes you cant send files to sd over 4 gb, its technically impossible through windows.
I could do it over ftp, but the transfer speed is much lower.

Dbibackend.exe is coming up and when i choose "USB Installation" in DBI, nothing happens, DBI is just waiting for starting the backend.
hi. yes I use windows. I think you can't transfer larger than 4GB because you use FAT32, which is recommended anyway. but for installation, it should be fine, I think. But I rarely use DBI MTP installation, because it is slower than using dbibackend.exe, so maybe I'm wrong.

anyway have you run the dbibackend.exe? as in select the games you want to install (add files) and then click the start server button?
have you installed libUsbk driver? you need it to establish client server connection with the switch.

btw, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you're copying file to SD card first and then install it using the switch? because you mentioned about file transfer, which I think is unnecessary.

Last edited by arabtm,

RaynorBlackwood

Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
Germany
hi. yes I use windows. I think you can't transfer larger than 4GB because you use FAT32, which is recommended anyway. but for installation, it should be fine, I think. But I rarely use DBI MTP installation, because it is slower than using dbibackend.exe, so maybe I'm wrong.

anyway have you run the dbibackend.exe? as in select the games you want to install (add files) and then click the start server button?
have you installed libUsbk driver? you need it to establish client server connection with the switch.

btw, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems you're copying file to SD card first and then install it using the switch? because you mentioned about file transfer, which I think is unnecessary.
I tried what you said about dbi and the backend, but when i try to install through usb and backend, nothing happens, everytime i try to install, it freezes during installation process.

RaynorBlackwood

Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
Germany
The only solution now was to split the nsp into 4095mb sized parts and upload the through tfp on my switch's sd card. But usb install or mtp doenst work for me at all

CloudStrife190100

HaxCommunity
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The only solution now was to split the nsp into 4095mb sized parts and upload the through tfp on my switch's sd card. But usb install or mtp doenst work for me at all

How about using an external USB hard drive and tinwoo?

Dock the system and plug in the hard drive via USB run tinwoo and install that way. Probably less hassle than splitting the parts

RaynorBlackwood

Trophies
Website
discord.gg
XP
Country
Germany
How about using an external USB hard drive and tinwoo?

Dock the system and plug in the hard drive via USB run tinwoo and install that way. Probably less hassle than splitting the parts
Im using the switch the most time in handheld mode, so that isnt a good solution, but thank instead.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so after fiddling around, I found the solution where I simply install tinfoil driver and reg file from here:

https://github.com/blawar/nut/releases

I assume the windows update messes with the reg file and/or it somehow remove the libusbK driver.

hope this helps if anyone else is having this problem :)
case closed!

I know this is necro but I'm crossposting for the two different types of failures that might bring folks to this thread:

The hint above from @arabtm solves the driver issue for " Run MTP responder".

This hint from @Jikolp solves the driver issue for "Install title from USB":
https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-to-setting-up-dbi-installer-over-usb.591075/page-2#post-9657320

These are two completely different solutions for two different methods. The switch presents itself as completely different devices (first one is detected as DBA while the second is detected as Switch) with completely different drivers.

Doing both of these solved my issues for both methods...everything DBI just works now!

Thanks @Jikolp and @arabtm

Reactions: Jikolp and arabtm

Asia81

Yuri Lover ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, I have troubles with USB installation. I can connect dbi and windows using mtp responder (seems to work, as I can see my sd and its content), but I can't manage to get Installing title from USB to work, the screen stuck on Waiting for dbibackend to be run... Although the .exe is already running. I tried to select xci or nps files, then click Start Server, but nothing happen.

Any idea would be appreciated.

QuestionSleep1984

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I used to have a problem after I change my memory from a 128GB (exFAT) to 256GB (FAT32) and it's that the installation using DBI and the MTP protocol ended up failing, the error was something like "INVALID LENGTH", I tried formatting the SD card back to exFAT, but it failed again. The solution I found was deleting every game in the SD card and deleting the Nintendo/Contents folder. After that, I could install games like before.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1