Daughter locked out of ipad mini

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by jbuck1975, Jun 27, 2016.

1. jbuck1975
    OP

jbuck1975 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    My daughter forgot her password to icloud account. Her email was set up as her icloud account so she can't recover it that way. She's dyslexicso she doesn't remember the way she spelled her favorite sports team or first pet's name. I hooked the ipad up to iTunes to do a reset. But to find out in order to set it back up you have to have the icloud password. Is there a way to completelyreset this ipad to factory settings to set up another icloud account for it?

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    iCloud activation lock is down to the hardware level so even if you tried wiping the iPad through recovery mode, on initial setup it would tell you to put in the original iCloud email and password that was used to set up the iPad.

There are no officially known ways around this (and any method mentioned online that requires payment or answering surveys are fakes).

3. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    You can call apple and have them reset the password. All you have to do is explain to them what's going on and they should do it for you.

4. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    So you can't access iCloud at all?
    I've heard that some people got locked devices unlocked by taking it to an official Apple store and explaining the situation.
    Contacting Apple is your best bet.

5. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    Jailbreaking the device and patching a version of iOS lower than 7.0 is your only possible answer, and is pretty hard to accomplish.

6. WiiU

May 7, 2014
    I didn't know that was possible. Is it risky? This should be left as a last resort.
    Definitely contact Apple first and see what they can do.

7. Bug_Checker_

Bug_Checker_ GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 10, 2006
    United States
    You do not say which iPad mini it is(1,2,3 or 4) or what iOS is on the mini (some version of 6,7,8 or 9)
    I'm assuming it is wifi only (but who knows)
    And I'm also assuming if it did get updated it was by official iTunes update and not "OTA".
    And you do not say if it has ever been or currently is jail broken?

8. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    It is pretty risky, as you won't be able to backup the iPad without iCloud, unless there is another third party way.

9. WiiU

May 7, 2014
    I meant in a way that it could brick your iPad.
    Could you remove the icloud on lower version and then update to latest iOS afterwards?

10. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    I think so, as the iPad won't have the iCloud account saved if it reset to a lower iOS, as the iPad is completely wiped in the process. Also, the iPad could brick in the process of downgrading.

11. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    The obvious answer.. Call Apple support. As long as you and your daughter can answer some simple questions, they will help you out.

12. Ricken

Ricken We'll Carry On

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    Not to be a broken record, but granny smith has the answers (Apple...)

13. jbuck1975
    OP

jbuck1975 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 28, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for the replies. My wife called apple and they are sending a reset email and some other information. We should be good after that.