Data Frog SF2000 - Retro Handheld (Links to Customize Your Device)

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a very cheap handheld sold on AliExpress and now there's a community that has been improving it, as well as Data Frog themselves with a firmware upgrade.

To change various things including removing the stupid background music/sound effects and "Welcome" image: https://github.com/vonmillhausen/sf2000

Here's the latest firmware update which is 1.71v and that fixes the slowdowns that occurred when playing SNES and GBA games:

I've personally made the changes I wanted and am very satisfied with it. That said, I am looking forward to that CFW that's mentioned on GitHub as this device seems to have more potential. :)

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a hassle, even if the price is quite affordable, the hit or miss QA is something to be wary of, for a device that might as well end up locked in its FW (atleast until they make cfw for it). they're alot of negatives (unless you're really desperate?), like there's no way rn to get stereo sound (even through AV)? Will see if it improves..
What are your thoughts on it?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like a hassle, even if the price is quite affordable, the hit or miss QA is something to be wary of, for a device that might as well end up locked in its FW (atleast until they make cfw for it). they're alot of negatives (unless you're really desperate?), like there's no way rn to get stereo sound (even through AV)? Will see if it improves..
What are your thoughts on it?
My main annoyances with it were the Welcome image and its background music, plus the sound effects, but after replacing those files it's all taken care of. I mean, SNES/GBA not having slowdowns is nice although that's not the platforms I usually play on this device.

Thanks to this handheld I've played Cadillacs and Dinosaurs which is a great beat 'em up never ported to consoles.

C&D had one home console game and it was a bunch of garbage:

What a missed opportunity to port the arcade to the Sega CD, at least.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Marc_LFD what about the buttons & the screen? And maybe any weird glitches, random freezes/black screens etc.?
The screen looks nice. No random freezes that I've come across, but when playing the SNES version of Sunset Riders I did notice some big flashes of the explosions so for that platform it needs more improvement.

Now, the buttons, they're designed like a SNES controller and you can edit the buttons configuration if you prefer a different combination. Plus, I've seen on a video that original SNES buttons are compatible so if anyone really wants he/she can replace it with SNES buttons. lol

I'm fine with the handheld, the MAME selection is definitely my favorite part and the games all run great there. Sucks that The Simpsons Arcade wasn't included so I'll try to add it later.

Morricorne

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How do games like Pokemon and Zelda with GBA and snes work on this? I'm asking because I'm thinking about buying it for GBA and SNES

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol