youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Team Fail said:
Quincy said:
Team Fail said:
Here is a video for anyone that can't get the games yet:
What happens when you remove the SD card in the crash?
It says the SD Card was removed and to press the HOME button to return to the menu.
It is sandboxed. No exploit there lol. Explanation: It crashes the game (Wrong adress or something) thus locks all commands. But removing the SD card shuts down the program, in this case Metroid. This means that it runs in an "virtual envirement" and this means that it is not a full system crash. Removing SD shuts down and unlocks the Home button command. I call not exploitable.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Quincy said:
Team Fail said:
Quincy said:
Team Fail said:
It says the SD Card was removed and to press the HOME button to return to the menu.
It is sandboxed. No exploit there lol.
Maybe to load another NES game. idk

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Team Fail said:
Quincy said:
Team Fail said:
So, it's not a complete freeze.
unsure.gif

Quincy

Your own personal guitarist :3
Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
ron975 said:
Team Fail said:
Quincy said:
Team Fail said:
unsure.gif
See the edit I made to my post. It has an explanation in it
smile.gif

It is sandboxed. No exploit there lol. Explanation: It crashes the game (Wrong adress or something) thus locks all commands. But removing the SD card shuts down the program, in this case Metroid. This means that it runs in an "virtual envirement" and this means that it is not a full system crash. Removing SD shuts down and unlocks the Home button command. I call not exploitable.

Clear explenation?
smile.gif

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Oh, so it doesn't actually freeze the 3DS completely, just as long as you don't remove the SD card?
So, what happens if you reinsert the SD card again? Still the same message then, or does the game go back (and if it does, does it go back to it's freezed state?)

EDIT: I took too long to write that hah... Too bad it is in sandboxed mode... Now, is it the same with Link's Awakening? That freeze bug RupeeClock showed us... does the same thing happen if you remove the SD card?

loco365

Trophies
XP
Issac said:
Oh, so it doesn't actually freeze the 3DS completely, just as long as you don't remove the SD card?
So, what happens if you reinsert the SD card again? Still the same message then, or does the game go back (and if it does, does it go back to it's freezed state?)
No, it would stay the same.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Quincy said:
ron975 said:
Team Fail said:
Quincy said:
Team Fail said:
unsure.gif
smile.gif

Clear explenation?
smile.gif
What if there was a way to insert something at that address, like a NES rom? Make it an emulator of sorts?

Quincy

Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Issac said:
Basicly, removing the SD card creates another "crash", locking down the system, but this time almost completely exept for the home command. And this kind of crash also locks the SD card.

Quincy

Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Team Fail said:
Quincy said:
ron975 said:
Team Fail said:
Quincy said:
Team Fail said:
unsure.gif
smile.gif

Clear explenation?
smile.gif
What if there was a way to insert something at that address, like a NES rom? Make it an emulator of sorts?
Because it is sandboxed, that wouldn't work. But what would work is f you have the keys and a way to edit the binairy files, you could inject your own roms ala custom VC on the wii.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Team Fail said:
Quincy said:
ron975 said:
Team Fail said:
Quincy said:
Team Fail said:
unsure.gif
smile.gif

Clear explenation?
smile.gif

It would be the same address as if running the original NES rom on an emulator on the computer right? I mean, if there are some tools to see address calls in some emulator, you would be able to find it there, and then do some magic with inserting something at that address
wink.gif

Quincy

Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Issac said:
Team Fail said:
Quincy said:
ron975 said:
Team Fail said:
Quincy said:
Team Fail said:
unsure.gif
smile.gif

Clear explenation?
smile.gif

It would be the same address as if running the original NES rom on an emulator on the computer right? I mean, if there are some tools to see address calls in some emulator, you would be able to find it there, and then do some magic with inserting something at that address
wink.gif
This also wouldn't work. The emulator is made by Nintendo afaik, so it acts in it's own way. Meaning that the address would be useless.. Also how would you inject anything without the keys and without a possibility of editing bins?

Quincy

Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
BrightNeko said:
I removed the SD card and tried going back to the home menu. it froze again @_@

-edit-
Never mind it just took a really long time getting back to it.
This also happens if you remove the SD card in and press the home button. I;ve tried it with Excitebike.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Ah, so basically everything is run on top of the 3DS OS. Pretty obvious when I think of it, considering the HOME button
tongue.gif
Didn't think of that before

Quincy

Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Issac said:
Ah, so basically everything is run on top of the 3DS OS. Pretty obvious when I think of it, considering the HOME button
tongue.gif
Didn't think of that before
Now that you say this, I remember reading that one of the 2 ARM11's is used for always having the OS on and system tasks whilst the other is used for games and apps.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Ah, I guess that would "kill" many theories about an image/freeze/stack overflow exploit then? Having one ARM chip always running the OS and stuff...

Quincy

Trophies
Website
youtek.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Issac said:
Ah, I guess that would "kill" many theories about an image/freeze/stack overflow exploit then? Having one ARM chip always running the OS and stuff...
Actually not. As a matter of fact I just have disproven my own explanation I think.. I mean if the "game chip" gets code injected, ARMOS doesn't interact with it afaik. Ofcourse without any ram dumps and documentation this is merely speculation.

Don't expect another reaction anytime soon. Bed
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo