Homebrew Custom Themes Don't Load Automatically After SD Mod

Clarityman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I recently changed my 128 GB card from 64 to 32 KB clusters without reformatting because I was having graphical issues with injected GBA cias (as depicted here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/q-gba-cia-on-emunand-not-rendering-screen-correctly.397084/).

Changing to 32 KB clusters fixed the above problem perfectly! However, now every time I power on my 3DS, it fails to load my custom themes. I have to reload it in Anemone, and it'll stay until the next time I power off/on. It's annoying, I never had this problem with custom themes before.

Should I reformat the entire card? Would that potentially fix this? Or is there perhaps some config file or something that can be altered so that custom themes load on boot?

Reactions: BizyB

BizyB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Having exactly the same problem over here. Also coming from the same problem with an injected GBA CIA. I have a 256GB SD card and changed the cluster size with Paragon Hard Disk Manager. Furthermore I noticed a general slowdown. And to add another sympton. Setting a standard theme like blue, red, yellow, etc will also be reverted to default after a reset.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try copying everything off your 128 GB card, then do a quick FAT32 & 32 KB cluster reformat with guiformat.exe. Copy everything back on it, and see if the theme issue goes away.

It's kinda ironic. You're going from 64 KB to 32 KB, while I'm doing the opposite on my 128 GB card due to in-game lag issues. My write-up initial results are here: https://gbatemp.net/posts/7789084/

BizyB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for pointing out that thread. Interesting read and I'll try that tonight and keep you posted. I'm having the same contemplations choosing between 64 vs 32 recommended cluster size. Although I know for a fact that i'm having graphical problems with a GBA injected game called ZooCube when I have my SD card set to the 64 cluster size. Mind you i'm using the latest beta build of Asdolo's Ultimate GBA VC injector (sorry I am not allowed to post links yet ) Because so far that was the only injector that I could get the savegame of ZooCube working with. Other interesting fact When using v1.6b of that same injector I don't have the graphical problem. I'll post that info on their thread as well.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for pointing out that thread. Interesting read and I'll try that tonight and keep you posted. I'm having the same contemplations choosing between 64 vs 32 recommended cluster size. Although I know for a fact that i'm having graphical problems with a GBA injected game called ZooCube when I have my SD card set to the 64 cluster size. Mind you i'm using the latest beta build of Asdolo's Ultimate GBA VC injector (sorry I am not allowed to post links yet ) Because so far that was the only injector that I could get the savegame of ZooCube working with. Other interesting fact When using v1.6b of that same injector I don't have the graphical problem. I'll post that info on their thread as well.

I will attempt to recreate the problem with that ZooCube game using the GBA injector v1.6b. Is this ZooCube a EUR -or- USA version? I'm assuming european by your Netherlands? flag flare.

Asdolo also has a 'New Super Ultimate Injector for 3DS' multi-console/handheld universal injector, although it is in beta testing. I can't seem to be able to find a link for you to try that. The community has a semi-tight wrap on the unfinished program.

Edit - if you want to post html links before your restriction lifts, you can type them separate like this: www . gbatemp . net /

Edit #2 - I've VC injected the game and launched it a few times. The rom I used, 0538 - ZooCube (E) (M5).gba, had a CRC-32 hash of 4A23B8D6. How often does the graphical glitch occurs?

Edit #3 - This was done on the 128 GB, 64KB cluster card. Not judging; this is a really weird game. :blink:

20180117_123040.jpg

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: BizyB and Giodude

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will attempt to recreate the problem with that ZooCube game using the GBA injector v1.6b. Is this ZooCube a EUR -or- USA version? I'm assuming european by your Netherlands? flag flare.

Asdolo also has a 'New Super Ultimate Injector for 3DS' multi-console/handheld universal injector, although it is in beta testing. I can't seem to be able to find a link for you to try that. The community has a semi-tight wrap on the unfinished program.

Edit - if you want to post html links before your restriction lifts, you can type them separate like this: www . gbatemp . net /

Edit #2 - I've VC injected the game and launched it a few times. The rom I used, 0538 - ZooCube (E) (M5).gba, had a CRC-32 hash of 4A23B8D6. How often does the graphical glitch occurs?

Edit #3 - This was done on the 128 GB, 64KB cluster card. Not judging; this is a really weird game. :blink:

20180117_123040.jpg
Just wanna quickly say i respect the c-stick mod. Got the same one boi.

BizyB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wasn't able to do a cluster reformat just yet. (you know 256GB takes quit some time to move back and forth) In meantime of course I can react to your actions (thx for trying btw.) Using version 1.6b will not reproduce the problem. You will have a perfect screen but you will not be able to save (EEPROM error) I could eloborate on that but I doubt i'll be doing you a favour with that ;).

As a matter of fact I'm using the recently released beta build (Release beta26). It is this build that can get the save working but will produce graphical glitches. Tried that 6 times and all six times I had the problem

I'v obtained the Beta ultimate GBA injector through this post:
www . gbatemp . net / threads / release-ultimate-gba-vc-injector-for-3ds.438057 / page-58#post-7758602

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
20180117_175903.jpg

Well, went back to the game, opened the Option menu, backed out with B and got this. Hah.

I'll try that Ultimate Injector later. I'm going to try to see if that game can be saved using a different save type like SRAM.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Tell me, how does this ZooCube game does it saves? Automatically or do you have to manual do it at checkpoints? I did a 1 time SRAM patch at Step 4. VC parameters. Exiting out of Options does not have the EEPROM ERROR show up.

BizyB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Oh you did go down the rabbit hole after all lol!!! Be careful not to be sucked in the game. With build beta26 The injector proposes EEPROM 8K and this will work. BTW CRC32 of the game I use checks out with yours.

Edit: It saves when you have a score in the top 10, after a game when new levels are unlocked and after you have been in the options menu.

Last edited by BizyB,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh you did go down the rabbit hole after all lol!!! Be careful not to be sucked in the game. With build beta26 The injector proposes EEPROM 8K and this will work. BTW CRC32 of the game I use checks out with yours.

Edit: It saves when you have a score in the top 10, after a game when new levels are unlocked and after you have been in the options menu.

Argh!! I have to quit it. After watching that tutorial and playing it how you're suppose to, this is like Tetris on 3D crack form.

I got the game to save when I changed the Sound from SFX to BGM. Exited out back to Home Menu, went back to the game, and that option stayed on BGM. Use VC GBA injector and do SRAM patch, apply 1 time @ Step 4. I kept the save option at EEPROM on Step 1.

Okay, so that solves game issue. I'll looking into Ultimate Injector now to see if the graphical error occurs there.

---

Edit - I made a 3rd cia of this game, using SRAM as the Save Type @ Step 1 and no SRAM patching @ Step 4. This also gives EEPROM ERROR.

Edit #2 - The 4th cia was made using New Super Ultimate Injector for 3DS_beta26, backing out Options after changing to SFX to BGM, Home Menu, and back again also have working save. I have no graphical errors (only launched game twice at this point).

BizyB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just did the same @ step 4 and your right it works! I always thought that setting SRAM in step 1 would be the same as in step 4. I thought wrong. I guess I'll be going back to 64 sectors per cluster then. But not before I test the speed after the reformat of the clusters. (So I can also check the problems with the theme on startup because after all this is what started the thread) I'll update the outcome in this thread.

Reactions: TurdPooCharger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad I could help. Still, that doesn't solve the custom theme problem. One thing at a time.

I wished I had a bigger card to test at this moment. Gonna go out on a limb here with the theory that 200/256GB cards using 64 KB cluster size will run into those weird VC game graphics and theme problems where they can't be recreated on a 128 GB. This is for now the known stable size limit, until more results come in.

Edit - Oddly enough, you're not the only person who had problems using 256GB card. There was recently another user who had problems using themes, although he was on stock firmware. The thread that entails his problem: Anyone successfully use a 256gb micro? (Tldr post)

-----------
Themes Possible Fix
Edit #2 - I have an idea how you guys might be able to solve your theme problems.
- Go to Home Menu Settings > Change Themes > Shuffle Favorites
- Pick all the five Basic colors, press (Y) OK. If it says failed to change theme, try this again until you do succeed.
- Go back to Home Menu Settings > Change Themes > Do not use a theme
- Go back again to Home Menu Settings > HOME Menu Layout (Save/Load Layout) > Press (X) Save onto empty slot. Press (Y) Load to reload.
- Turn off and back on the 3DS.
- Go back yet again to Home Menu Settings > Change Themes > Shuffle Favorites, with all five Basic colors.
- Turn off and back on the 3DS. Do the themes persist?

BizyB

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Unfortunately I missed your Edit#2 and already did the things you suggested at first. Now I'm not able to test your latest suggestion because thanks to your previous tips I don't have the problem anymore. So let me elaborate on the things I did:

Because related to changing the clustersize from 32 to 64 sectors per cluster I was expecting a speed increase which was troubling me as well. So first thing I did was measuring the startup time in my initial state which is the same state as @Clarityman is in (cluster changed from 64 to 32 without reformatting) Time is measured from the moment I pressed the start button until the screen first comes up:

Initial clustersize 32 coming from 64: 35 s - Themes not loading on start
Reformatted clustersize of 32 by guiformat: 20 s - Themes still not loading on start
Reformatted clustersize of 64 by guiformat: 14 s - Themes loading again on start !!!

Caution! When reformatting the clustersize with guiformat you will loose your data. So first move it to another location and then move it back.

Findings:
  • When you change the clustersize without reformatting you will have a considerable slowdown if you don't reformat it.
  • I've not been able to test different sizes but it seems that the bigger the card, the slower I/O data rate will be.
  • Going on a limb here but assuming that most people have a clustersize of 32 and don't have problems with the themes, it looks like that the problem is time-sensitive. If the startup takes to long it will skip loading the Theme?

So i'm back to my old clustersize of 64, got a working injected ZooCube and haven't found any other problems with beeing on 64. I'm gonna investigate a little more as to why it was suggested in several sources why 32 was a better option.

My tip for @Clarityman would be to do the same as me and get back to 64 and most probably enjoying the themes loading on startup again. Of course unless you got a convincing reason to stay on 32. But than I would love know about it.

Thanks again @TurdPooCharger for your time and effort.

>>> Cheers <<<

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm bumping this thread to give an update on how to get Anemone3DS working again after changing from 32KB to 64KB and vice-versa. You can read the instructions in post #6 How to Properly Setup Anemone3DS when Changing Allocation Size in the Github issue I opened here:

https://github.com/astronautlevel2/Anemone3DS/issues/132

Whoever does have problems with their themes after upgrading your SD card or changing the allocation size, tell me if this works or not. I was only able to test this out on my N3DSXL. I gave away my 2nd system as a family gift so had no way to check that the method works back-to-back.

mousseline0101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey, i just installed luma today and everything is fine except for themes, they also don't load at boot, but if i hit like the notifications button then go back on main menu the theme shows again.
I tried this :
-----------
Themes Possible Fix
Edit #2 - I have an idea how you guys might be able to solve your theme problems.
- Go to Home Menu Settings > Change Themes > Shuffle Favorites
- Pick all the five Basic colors, press (Y) OK. If it says failed to change theme, try this again until you do succeed.
- Go back to Home Menu Settings > Change Themes > Do not use a theme
- Go back again to Home Menu Settings > HOME Menu Layout (Save/Load Layout) > Press (X) Save onto empty slot. Press (Y) Load to reload.
- Turn off and back on the 3DS.
- Go back yet again to Home Menu Settings > Change Themes > Shuffle Favorites, with all five Basic colors.
- Turn off and back on the 3DS. Do the themes persist?

and guiformat to either 32k or 64k cluster size but it doesnt fix the problem, any help?
thanlks for reading

edit: i use a weird 512gb micro sd verbatim card that someone gifted me, i think its probably a fake ordered from ebay or something but whatever, everything else works so i rather find another solution than changing sd card
edit2:i'll just try another sd card to see if its the problem, sorry for the inconvenience

Last edited by mousseline0101,

mousseline0101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it does works with another sd, how to explain why everything else works besides themes with the fake sd and is there any workaround?
thanks again for reading

dont hesitate to answer if you have any toughts on the subject, i'll be very grateful

Well whatever, themes are gay af anyway

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...edit: i use a weird 512gb micro sd verbatim card that someone gifted me, i think its probably a fake ordered from ebay or something but whatever, everything else works so i rather find another solution than changing sd card
edit2:i'll just try another sd card to see if its the problem, sorry for the inconvenience
I went to sleep right after that post, so was AFTK. Just know that the internet is global and not everyone runs on Europe time.

If you suspect you have or want to verify an SD card is authentic before using it on a 3DS or anything, use the program H2testw to check it. You can't make a fake SD card work. It's like carrying a bucket of water with a hole on the bottom, ignoring your leak, and getting mad you're missing water after

it does works with another sd, how to explain why everything else works besides themes with the fake sd and is there any workaround?
Try installing a smaller set of themes before having a lot in your Themes folder. If that doesn't work, try the updated fix guide in post #14. Anenome3DS tends to be buggy if you have a large number of themes in your collection when you first start.

The one you quoted from post #12 is outdated and doesn't always work from testings.

mousseline0101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry for being impatient !
I did a successful h2testw check but on a small portion of the disk, filling the whole 500gb would take a full day according to the estimation, which i rather avoid.
Concerning themes, i did clear the 000002ce folder on the sd card to remove all themes, and since even basic single color themes have the problem, i doubt anenome3ds is the problem (or does it mess with original 3ds theme manager?). Do you think your guide is still worth trying ? (i don't know how to remove the battery, but i guess i can learn)
sorry for wasting your time

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for being impatient !
I did a successful h2testw check but on a small portion of the disk, filling the whole 500gb would take a full day according to the estimation, which i rather avoid.
Concerning themes, i did clear the 000002ce folder on the sd card to remove all themes, and since even basic single color themes have the problem, i doubt anenome3ds is the problem (or does it mess with original 3ds theme manager?). Do you think your guide is still worth trying ? (i don't know how to remove the battery, but i guess i can learn)

A real 512 GB card will have an actual capacity about 476 GB. If it shows up on windows with 500 GB, it means it's a fake.

You can give my guide a shot. I make no promises it'll work for you. Try not to skip any steps.

The folder you supposed to delete is 000002cd (unless that's a typo). Not e, although i'm not certain if the theme folder name is different on a non-American system. Deleting this folder deletes all your official Nintendo themes. The basic 5 color ones gets recreated from sysNAND onto your SD card when you go into Nintendo's theme management.

Edit - I just remembered. There are no 512 GB micro SD cards on the market today. The largest capacity available is 400 GB by SanDisk. Definitely a fake.

mousseline0101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It definitely is ce on my 2ds, all my 300+ themes were gone after deleting it.
And fake or not, it still is a micro sd i guess. i'll fill it to get its real capacity and shrink the partition (i'm expecting around 64gb). I may also try the guide tomorrow, and get you informed if anything interesting comes up. Thanks for the help =)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    just play it, get beaten a few times and start dominating
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude chess is best
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    strip checkers > nude chess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nude checkers get jumped
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nude checkers get jumped