Tutorial  Updated

Custom Boot Logo Tutorial

(Putting this in it’s own thread for posterity…)

In case folks want to roll their own custom boot logo, here are detailed instructions for how to set it up.

Good article on getting python and pip (you need both) installed on Windows: https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/install-pip-windows/

Download the script by going here: https://github.com/friedkeenan/switch-logo-patcher

Click the blue Code button and select Download ZIP and then unzip the directory somewhere easy to get to.

FCB2EA81-CD2D-4CFC-B918-795FB6639E2A.jpeg

Open a cmd.exe window and cd to the easy to get to directory and type the following:

Code:
python -m pip install -r requirements.txt

Once that’s successful your are ready to patch!

I’ve attached my 308x350 png file again for you to copy into the same directory as a proof of concept.

here’s the command:

Code:
python gen_patches.py patches_dir new_logo

new_logo=the name of the 308x350 .png file you copied into this directory that you want patched into files. If you download the attached proof of concept file it would be F44C1AC8-3310-4EA5-BFFB-1F682120F3B8.png

patches_dir=use whatever directory name makes sense to you. You will copy this entire directory over to /atmosphere/exefs_patches/ when you are done.

Here’s the readme again.

# Switch Logo Patcher

Creates the IPS patches needed to replace the Switch logo on boot.

The logo you want to change the Switch logo to must be the same size as the original logo, which is 308x350. Anything else and the program won't let you progress.

You don't need to dump the original logo to use this, but if you don't specify the original logo, each patch will be 400+ KiB.

### Usage

```
usage: gen_patches.py [-h] [-o OLD_LOGO] patches_dir new_logo

positional arguments:
patches_dir The directory where the generated patches will be
dumped
new_logo The new logo image

optional arguments:
-h, --help show this help message and exit
-o OLD_LOGO, --old_logo OLD_LOGO
The original logo image

Attachments

• F44C1AC8-3310-4EA5-BFFB-1F682120F3B8.png
    F44C1AC8-3310-4EA5-BFFB-1F682120F3B8.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 221
Last edited by binkinator,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna try the sys modules thing again cause I was rushing before just alot of booting and shutdown lol
Did it ever play perfectly with just bootsoundNX alone in the contents folder? If we can’t even do just that…it’s probably your SDCard.

Reactions: Pauljr456

Pauljr456

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So when i remove all sysmodules but
Did it ever play perfectly with just bootsoundNX alone in the contents folder? If we can’t even do just that…it’s probably your SDCard.
it still skips with just the bootsoundNX I'm using a SanDisk extreme 512gb

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So when i remove all sysmodules but

it still skips with just the bootsoundNX I'm using a SanDisk extreme 512gb
I run Sandisk as well. Some of them are pokey at times. Try adding another sound (leave the current one) and point bootsoundNX config at the new sound and see if it plays smoothly.

Pauljr456

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I run Sandisk as well. Some of them are pokey at times. Try adding another sound (leave the current one) and point bootsoundNX config at the new sound and see if it plays smoothly.
I will in a minute getting ready for bed. Someone needs to update bootsoundNX it's alittle over due lol
Post automatically merged:

I will in a minute getting ready for bed. Someone needs to update bootsoundNX it's alittle over due lol
All I'm trying to do is get the gamcube bootsound on my switch no skip

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It only skips towards the end of it it's a 4second long mp3
I use the gamecube clip myself. Funny. It is towards the long side of the size you can play with this tool but it does play flawlessly as long as your Switch isn’t busy with other sysmodules and your SDCard isnt having issues. At this point, if you don’t have another SDCard to test with, I’m thinking you might want to back everything up (FAT32 partition AND hidden partition using Hekate) and then reformat your sdcard as FAT32 using rufus.ie.

Pauljr456

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use the gamecube clip myself. Funny. It is towards the long side of the size you can play with this tool but it does play flawlessly as long as your Switch isn’t busy with other sysmodules and your SDCard isnt having issues. At this point, if you don’t have another SDCard to test with, I’m thinking you might want to back everything up (FAT32 partition AND hidden partition using Hekate) and then reformat your sdcard as FAT32 using rufus.ie.
My sd card is in fat32 cause I use a septa boot android Linux cfw lakka stock

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My sd card is in fat32 cause I use a septa boot android Linux cfw lakka stock
Ohhhh. Very nice. I’m hex-boot myself. No SXOS? ;-)

There’s really only a few levers to flip during the boot process. By removing everything else under /atmosphere/contents/ we’ve removed all possible software contention that’s possible to add, leaving us with nothing but HOS. I know for a fact this exact boot sound works flawlessly on a V1 so it’s not HOS or the less efficient resources on the V1 platform. That leaves us with the I/O system. The weakest link in this chain is the SD Card. Much easier to address this by swapping out the SDCard. I thought my boot sound was screwed up due to a recent upgrade. Everything played but right towards the end there was a hard pause and then it would finish. I swapped the card and my gamecube Bootsound once again plays all the wa through with zero glitches. The card on the top was bad while the card on the bottom is the good one.

image.jpg

Pauljr456

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ohhhh. Very nice. I’m hex-boot myself. No SXOS? ;-)

There’s really only a few levers to flip during the boot process. By removing everything else under /atmosphere/contents/ we’ve removed all possible software contention that’s possible to add, leaving us with nothing but HOS. I know for a fact this exact boot sound works flawlessly on a V1 so it’s not HOS or the less efficient resources on the V1 platform. That leaves us with the I/O system. The weakest link in this chain is the SD Card. Much easier to address this by swapping out the SDCard. I thought my boot sound was screwed up due to a recent upgrade. Everything played but right towards the end there was a hard pause and then it would finish. I swapped the card and my gamecube Bootsound once again plays all the wa through with zero glitches. The card on the top was bad while the card on the bottom is the good one.

View attachment 335351
So I need a new sd card probably

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I need a new sd card probably
I had a thought about this…you could backup just your FAT32 partition to your PC, format just that partition and then copy everything back. It would lay everything out continuously, including your mp3 file so the SDCard doesn’t have to seek. I know seek times are super short and it shouldn’t make a difference, but we’re running out of things to try.

Chino245

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello guys, I followed the tutorial but I do not know why I have the following error. May be you can help me:

C:\Users\chino>python gen_patches.py patches_dir=C:\Users\chino\patch new_logo=holi.png
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\chino\gen_patches.py", line 42, in <module>
new_logo = Image.open(args.new_logo).convert("RGBA")
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "C:\Users\chino\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\site-packages\PIL\Image.py", line 3131, in open
fp = builtins.open(filename, "rb")
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\chino\\new_logo=holi.png'

Thank you!

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys, I followed the tutorial but I do not know why I have the following error. May be you can help me:

C:\Users\chino>python gen_patches.py patches_dir=C:\Users\chino\patch new_logo=holi.png
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\chino\gen_patches.py", line 42, in <module>
new_logo = Image.open(args.new_logo).convert("RGBA")
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
File "C:\Users\chino\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Lib\site-packages\PIL\Image.py", line 3131, in open
fp = builtins.open(filename, "rb")
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'C:\\Users\\chino\\new_logo=holi.png'

Thank you!
The last line tells you what’s wrong:

In your command line, just put the file name. Move the file called holi.png next to your command for easier typing…

like this:

python gen_patches.py holi_patch holi.png

this will create a new directory called holi_patch and inside the new directory will be the patches that will include the graphics from the file holi.png located in the local directory.

• Love
Reactions: Chino245

Chino245

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The last line tells you what’s wrong:

In your command line, just put the file name. Move the file called holi.png next to your command for easier typing…

like this:

python gen_patches.py holi_patch holi.png

this will create a new directory called holi_patch and inside the new directory will be the patches that will include the graphics from the file holi.png located in the local directory.
Thank you very much, this short code "python gen_patches.py holi_patch holi.png" works perfectly! :)

Soler37

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
@binkinator Thanks for the guide.
I made a change in my bootloader folder, before that, whenever I would go into CFW, I would get a custom image (fliped 90degrees) that would show the ticker line (instead of hekate), Im not sure how to get it back, would love help with that.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@binkinator Thanks for the guide.
I made a change in my bootloader folder, before that, whenever I would go into CFW, I would get a custom image (fliped 90degrees) that would show the ticker line (instead of hekate), Im not sure how to get it back, would love help with that.
You bet.

You probably made a change to your /bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini. Please post the contents of yours here.

As for the op degrees thing, the splash logos need to be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise. I have a zip somewhere around here with a whole bunch of logos, icons and splash screens. Let me dig them up…

E: found it.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/hekate-icons-are-corrupt.607028/post-9736019

Have fun!

Soler37

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
You bet.

You probably made a change to your /bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini. Please post the contents of yours here.

As for the op degrees thing, the splash logos need to be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise. I have a zip somewhere around here with a whole bunch of logos, icons and splash screens. Let me dig them up…

E: found it.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/hekate-icons-are-corrupt.607028/post-9736019

Have fun!
Thanks, I was able to figure out the hekate boot logo and also make a custom boot logo using your guide, for the atmosphere splash, what is it that I need to exactly? Is there an easy guide for it? BTW I downloaded your logos and splash screens prior to this so thanks.
While I have you, I'm trying to optimize gaming experience when docked/handheld, is there some sort of way to do that using sys clk in a way that doesn't harm my system in the long run? I was thinking of the 60 fps mod for BOTW but it needs OC to almost max and even with that you need to run the game at a very low resolution, I gave up on that to try and see how I can play it in stable 30fps while in both handheld or docked which led me to see if there might be a way to set it so that all games are running optimaly, would love your take.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Trooper202

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hi, can anyone help me?

Trying to get my boot logo to show up. Already installed python, I used a 32bit file 308x350, and created the ips files. Put the folder into atmosphere\exefs_patches ...but nothing shows up.
Am I missing a config line in Hekate ?

Mine is

[Atmo SYS]
fss0=atmosphere/package3
emummc_force_disable=1

laz305

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi I'm on 14.0 with a custom boot logo and went to update to 16.1 but once I select cfw emu in hekate it boots to a black screen. how do I turn the custom boot logo off? or make it compatible with 16.1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, never watched doctor who
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well guys, i went to the library today
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What did you learn?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    since my sister said manga was a good gateway into anime, i decided to get a manga, i was going to get one punch man, but volume 1 wasn't there
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Well, what about Dr. What? Don't leave him out. @BigOnYa
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and so i got mashle instead, which is actually quite good
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    GUYS YOU CAN LAUNCH HEALTH AND SAFETY INFO IN AROMA NOW
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan,i only watched anime
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for anyone wondering what that is, basically, it's about the one person in the world without magic, instead he's just dummy strong
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr. What and Dr. Where got lost together somewhere in time, Dr. When is looking for them
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    What about Dr. How?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    OR DR. WHY?
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    @Xdqwerty sorry i get excited when i get to see what type of laser the wii u uses
    They ALL went to Nurse Why's house
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: SCPs started from some Dr. Who fanfic or smth on 4chan
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Dr How and Why, will be in the prequel
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, or dr when
  • O @ OhHiNick:
    dr what
    +1
    ooohhh the steamy scene with Nurse Why. omg :blush:
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty is Dr. Wut
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    My wifey gets mad and tells me its a bad habit to bite your nails, even though I told her I washed my feet first.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Dr Strange is a gynecologist for prostitutes.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Going where lots of men have gone before
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i tear off my nails
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, i tear off my nails