Hacking Crediar just Released 3DSaveTool!

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
spiritofcat said:
It's the programmer's fault for using such an easily detectable method.
It's Nintendo's fault for setting the spec.
It's a save, not a game.
What do you want them to do? Use 9001bit encryption in save games?
Pointless.

QUOTE(TehSkull @ Apr 3 2011, 04:10 PM) He was getting at filling those zeroes with garbage data. (Or at least, that's my understanding...)
A 0 is "garbage data".
What does she want them to fill the space up with? Beethoven's 9001st symphony?

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so, just to clear this up, the goal now would be to open save files and look for some sort of an exploit that can be created by editing some games save file... sounds like a similar path as that of PSP hacking.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Nollog said:
It's a save, not a game.
What do you want them to do? Use 9001bit encryption in save games?
Pointless.

What's the point of encrypting savegames if the crypt gets broken just a few days after the console is released ? NONE.
They could at least XOR each byte with the previous one...

QUOTE(Nollog @ Apr 3 2011, 07:04 PM) A 0 is "garbage data".

Random numbers - have you ever heard of these ?

Changing the subject, has anyone succeeded in modifying the savegame and using it with 3DS ?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
baffle-boy said:
so, just to clear this up, the goal now would be to open save files and look for some sort of an exploit that can be created by editing some games save file... sounds like a similar path as that of PSP hacking.And Wii hacking.

QUOTE(pachura @ Apr 3 2011, 03:45 PM) Changing the subject, has anyone succeeded in modifying the savegame and using it with 3DS ?
Again no. People are reporting that the device does not correctly upload the saves back to the cart.

Cloak519

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Could somebody please explain this to me in an extremely noob-friendly way?
I got to page three but the hackz0r language and random colons with dollar signs and what-not began to hurt my brain.
What is the potential of this? What's the best that could happen in terms of 3DS hacking?

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
TehSkull said:
He was getting at filling those zeroes with garbage data. (Or at least, that's my understanding...)
A 0 is "garbage data".

If that's what it takes. Anything but zeroes. Filling it with random values is more what I had in mind.

QUOTE(CA519705950 @ Apr 3 2011, 04:19 PM)
Could somebody please explain this to me in an extremely noob-friendly way?
I got to page three but the hackz0r language and random colons with dollar signs and what-not began to hurt my brain.
What is the potential of this? What's the best that could happen in terms of 3DS hacking?
Best case scenario, we get a Twilight Hack just like Wii had. Don't keep your hopes up though. Odds are slim that Nintendo would let something like that happen, after already having experienced it.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
pachura said:
Nollog said:
A 0 is "garbage data".

What if they're interpreted as part of the game?
The reason 0's and F's are used is because the chance of something that does something being eight 0's in a row, is pretty much nil.

LuigiBlood said:
QUOTE(TehSkull @ Apr 3 2011, 11:59 PM)
If that's what it takes. Anything but zeroes. Filling it with random values is more what I had in mind.

Anything but 00s or FFs. It's easy to get a XOR key with FFs, as it's just reversed...
0 XOR 0 = 0
0 XOR 1 = 1
1 XOR 1 = 0
It's pretty simplistic even without 0's and F's.

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
QUOTE said:
TehSkull said:
He was getting at filling those zeroes with garbage data. (Or at least, that's my understanding...)
A 0 is "garbage data".
Random numbers ? The XOR "encryption" (if we can call it an encryption) would have seemed less obvious when looking into the savefile with random numbers than with zeroes.

Anyway I don't understand how could they make a such big mistake, especially when seeing how they have protected the Wii save files.
unsure.gif

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
Nollog said:
pachura said:
Nollog said:
A 0 is "garbage data".

The reason 0's and F's are used is because the chance of something that does something being eight 0's in a row, is pretty much nil.
If the save file had an indicator at the start to say how many bytes are being used as save data then the remaining space could happily be filled with random bits and there would be no chance of them being interpreted as part of the game because the game would stop reading at the end of the number of bytes indicated at the start.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
spiritofcat said:
Nollog said:
pachura said:
Nollog said:
A 0 is "garbage data".

If the save file had an indicator at the start to say how many bytes are being used as save data then the remaining space could happily be filled with random bits and there would be no chance of them being interpreted as part of the game because the game would stop reading at the end of the number of bytes indicated at the start.

You don't really want to be padding the space especially in a flash environment where you have a limited number of read/write cycles per bit. It also means every save would take longer trying to pad it with 'random' bits. If you're just using an XOR obfuscation (to call it an encryption is somewhat of a stretch) then there's no need to pad anyways.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
doyama said:
You don't really want to be padding the space especially in a flash environment where you have a limited number of read/write cycles per bit. It also means every save would take longer trying to pad it with 'random' bits. If you're just using an XOR obfuscation (to call it an encryption is somewhat of a stretch) then there's no need to pad anyways.

I think you don't understand. It was the original, unencrypted content which was padded with zeros; then it was XOR-ed and written. The amount of bytes to write would be exactly the same if they used random padding.

Carrie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't understand a single thing in this thread but I feel like you're some heroes and I will be praying for your success...

Stalkid64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry. 99.99% of people here don't understand what they're dribbling onto their keyboards half the t... at all, anyway.

Habstinat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
ron975 said:
Now, how are we gonna get a Save file, proper dumping tools haven't been released yet.
http://www.hkems.com/product/nintendo/0907.htm
Currently, the only way for regular users to dump 3DS game save files.
Thanks, but are there any other gadgets that do the same thing? More particularly, are any compatible with Linux? I'll buy that one if there aren't any alternatives, but it seems odd to me that it's the only tool I can find. Did some searching on my phone but couldn't find anything.

EDIT: I see that BroadOn has made a new tweet: "Oh noes!What've done?Now everyone is buying that crappy NDS Adaptor PLUS seriously don't buy it!There are free tools to dump/restore for DS!"

Does anyone have an idea as to what these tools are, as obviously I'm pretty sure a free solution would be preferred?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: well.. Sorta new :)