Creating a plugin skin - Help!

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by JoBrittain, Feb 27, 2012.

1. JoBrittain
    OP

JoBrittain Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    I'm trying to create a DSTWO plugin menu skin.

I have tried different programs to try and convert both 24-bit bmps and pngs, with little success. The images always come out distorted.

Even in the 16-bit format the images come out in odd colours.

Programs I've tried:
    • Gimp 2
    • Paint
    • Fireworks
    • InfraView
    • bmpBatchConverter
    I heard Gimp works, but I can't seem to find the right settings, or if they are the right settings then they arn't working for me...

I know that plugin themes have been made, so I ask as to how those bitmaps were successfully converted with such reasonable quality.
    (If i'm being honest then I do remember making one that worked ages ago, but I managed to delete it when updating the firmware/eos and have forgotten how)

Someone please guide me!

2. Terminator02

Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

Apr 10, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere near monkat
    We have a couple skin editors made specifically for skinning (check them out at the top of this thread), but I don't know how to do it myself.

[m]Cannonfoddr[/m] might be able to answer you better.

3. JoBrittain
    OP

JoBrittain Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2009
    I've tried those and none of them are helpful when it comes to making a plugin menu skin... it seems.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

4. CannonFoddr

CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

Sep 23, 2006
    Sitting by computer
    Got your PM - I'll try & help......

Firstly - I use GIMP......
    I find the 'best' way of creating graphics is by firstly making a copy of one of the original skins ['pink' or 'silver'] that comes with the DSTwo into a 'work in progress' folder on the desktop
    (unless you're alter the actual plugin graphics in which case copy all the graphics in the 'plug' folder)

I then load in one of the graphics in the 'WIP' folder in, alter it, then save it - overwriting the original in the 'work-in-progress' folder

When it come to GIMP - to save the graphic as a 16-bit version...
    Click on 'File'​
    Click on 'Save as' - the name of the graphic should be still the same as it was when loaded, but select it anyway just to be sure​
    Click on [Save] button & you'll be asked if you want to overwrite it , click on [Replace]​
    In the next box that pops up - click on the 'Advanced options'​
    Select the 16 bit 'X1 R5 G5 B5' option, then click on the [Save] button​
    That's it - the graphic is now save in the proper '16-bit' format
    Once you've altered/replaced all the graphics you want - you can the copy them over to the DSTwo, into the proper folders (If it's a UI 'skin' then the whole folder can be copied over) & it 'should' work

If it's possible - when you mean 'distorted' - HOW exactly ?? is it like this (I know it's for a plugin 'icon' & not a 'skin' but the principled is the same)
    [​IMG]

Or is it something totally different ??
    - one thing you MUST make sure is that the graphics saved is exactly the same size as the one you are replacing (so for a background image - it MUST be 256x192, not 255x192 or 256x191)
    Sometime when cropping/resizing - dimension may not be exact, especially if you use features like 'keep proportions'

Also - converting from 32 or 24-bit down to 16-bit can cause 'graphical glitches' (or so I've been told), usually if you have a gradient pattern in it, especially if it at an odd angle (like '23Degrees) diagonal

Can you upload your 'skin' anywhere & PM the link to me. I can then have a look & see (possibly) where the problem lies

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice