Creating a plugin skin - Help!

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by JoBrittain, Feb 27, 2012.

Feb 27, 2012
  1. JoBrittain
    OP

Newcomer JoBrittain Newbie

United Kingdom
    I'm trying to create a DSTWO plugin menu skin.

I have tried different programs to try and convert both 24-bit bmps and pngs, with little success. The images always come out distorted.

Even in the 16-bit format the images come out in odd colours.

Programs I've tried:
    • Gimp 2
    • Paint
    • Fireworks
    • InfraView
    • bmpBatchConverter
    I heard Gimp works, but I can't seem to find the right settings, or if they are the right settings then they arn't working for me...

I know that plugin themes have been made, so I ask as to how those bitmaps were successfully converted with such reasonable quality.
    (If i'm being honest then I do remember making one that worked ages ago, but I managed to delete it when updating the firmware/eos and have forgotten how)

Someone please guide me!

2. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    We have a couple skin editors made specifically for skinning (check them out at the top of this thread), but I don't know how to do it myself.

[m]Cannonfoddr[/m] might be able to answer you better.

3. JoBrittain
    OP

Newcomer JoBrittain Newbie

United Kingdom
    I've tried those and none of them are helpful when it comes to making a plugin menu skin... it seems.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

4. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Got your PM - I'll try & help......

Firstly - I use GIMP......
    I find the 'best' way of creating graphics is by firstly making a copy of one of the original skins ['pink' or 'silver'] that comes with the DSTwo into a 'work in progress' folder on the desktop
    (unless you're alter the actual plugin graphics in which case copy all the graphics in the 'plug' folder)

I then load in one of the graphics in the 'WIP' folder in, alter it, then save it - overwriting the original in the 'work-in-progress' folder

When it come to GIMP - to save the graphic as a 16-bit version...
    Click on 'File'​
    Click on 'Save as' - the name of the graphic should be still the same as it was when loaded, but select it anyway just to be sure​
    Click on [Save] button & you'll be asked if you want to overwrite it , click on [Replace]​
    In the next box that pops up - click on the 'Advanced options'​
    Select the 16 bit 'X1 R5 G5 B5' option, then click on the [Save] button​
    That's it - the graphic is now save in the proper '16-bit' format
    Once you've altered/replaced all the graphics you want - you can the copy them over to the DSTwo, into the proper folders (If it's a UI 'skin' then the whole folder can be copied over) & it 'should' work

If it's possible - when you mean 'distorted' - HOW exactly ?? is it like this (I know it's for a plugin 'icon' & not a 'skin' but the principled is the same)
    [​IMG]

Or is it something totally different ??
    - one thing you MUST make sure is that the graphics saved is exactly the same size as the one you are replacing (so for a background image - it MUST be 256x192, not 255x192 or 256x191)
    Sometime when cropping/resizing - dimension may not be exact, especially if you use features like 'keep proportions'

Also - converting from 32 or 24-bit down to 16-bit can cause 'graphical glitches' (or so I've been told), usually if you have a gradient pattern in it, especially if it at an odd angle (like '23Degrees) diagonal

Can you upload your 'skin' anywhere & PM the link to me. I can then have a look & see (possibly) where the problem lies