Hacking Creating a North American, non-XL New 3DS

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've discovered... something.

Remember how I said the system freezes after exiting sleep mode? Turns out this only happens on the home menu.
What could it be about the home menu...

SpongeFreak52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have any cartridges inserted when you open/close it? When I did a swap on my OG3DS that would cause issues until I ran a system format.

Also, really thrilled to see this possible now! (to an extent, at least) Going to have to try that ASAP whenever that tool makes its way out.

EDIT: I noticed you used a SecureInfo from an original 3DS, could that be causing any issues?

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have any cartridges inserted when you open/close it? When I did a swap on my OG3DS that would cause issues until I ran a system format.
Happens regardless of whether or not a cart is inserted, I'm afraid. I've also done a system format already.

EDIT: I noticed you used a SecureInfo from an original 3DS, could that be causing any issues?

It's POSSIBLE, but Wulfy said in the general region changing thread that Old and New 3DS's use the same format. And I don't have a second N3DS to test with.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I need some help:

I managed to get the Xorpad of my EUR New 3DS's NAND. The software I used to do this isn't really mine to share, but the Xorpad it generated is legit.

I am now trying to do an EUR -> USA region change. I eventually want to change SysNand's region, but I decided to try in EmuNand first, to make sure everything works properly. It's a good thing I did, as I seem to have bricked EmuNand.

I'm not sure what I did wrong, so could anyone help me? Thanks a lot! Here's what I did:
1) Formated EmuNand and installed DevMenu
2) Installed this list of USA CIAs acquired from UpdateCDN.
3) Opened system settings, selected format system memory, and waited for the system to reboot
4) Turned off system, put SD card into computer, and used emuNandTool to extract EmuNand from SD card.
5) Used 3DSFAT16Tool to extract EmuNAND's fat16 partition (3DSFat16tool.py -d -n3ds emu.bin emu.iso n3ds.xorpad)
6) Mounted the fat16 partition, and swapped the existing SecureInfo_A file with one taken from a USA Old 3DS.
7) Used compareTitlesCSV to generate of this list of EUR titles that were no longer needed.
8) Deleted above list of titles from the "title" folder of the fat16 partiton NAND.
9) Injected fat16 partition back into my emunand dump via 3DSFAT16Tools (same command, but w/ -i instead of -d).
10) Used emunandtool to write my modified emuNand image back to my SD card.
12) Inserted SD card back into 3DS, and attempted to boot into emuNAND...

...the result, as I've already said, was a black screen, even after multiple tries.

I hope I didn't give too much detail—I just wanted to make sure that my process is replicable. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks a ton!

Assuming I'm able to get past this hurdle, I will continue to document everything I do.

Edit: In PM's someone suggested that I try without deleting the duplicate titles (ie, skip steps 7-8). This was intended to remove duplicate copies of apps (two copies of system settings, two copies of health and safety, etc.), but is not strictly necessary.

It worked! It's extremely unstable (it froze after a minute), but it does work!

Edit2: So the 3DS seems to freeze about second after I either exit sleep mode or suspend an application. What could cause that?

Edit3: for whatever it's worth:
f332f4f020.png

If you chose to install 9.2.0-20U system files, did you make sure the rest of your system (like NATIVE_FIRM) corresponds to the same system version? Also, I made a list of USA specific titles + highest version before 9.3: https://gist.github.com/yifanlu/d1e13ef8f094294121ef

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
nice you got it working, although i'm not sure why there are problems. a shame about the xorpad generation is private, but let us hope something is public soon!

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you chose to install 9.2.0-20U system files, did you make sure the rest of your system (like NATIVE_FIRM) corresponds to the same system version?
Embarrassed to say I don't know what this means.

Thank you sooo much for that list though, I'm going through it and it should be really helpful!

Edit: Title 0004009B00017302 doesn't seem to exist in 3DNUS. Ignoring it for now...

Edit2: For whatever it's worth: the freezes are being caused by one of five US titles: Mii Maker, Activity Log, Mii Plaza, AR Games, or 3DS Sound.

Edit3: The culprits are Mii Maker, Streetpass Mii Plaza, and AR Games. Installing any of these US titles to the region-changed N3DS causes it to crash when coming out of sleep mode on the home menu, and when suspending an application. What the heck.

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an idea for eshop working but don't have the time to test it right now. I know that the SOAP communications sends a device token and device cert calculated from CTCert. We don't know where it comes from, but it's unlikely to be a file in the NAND. However, with arm9hax, you can replace the CTCert data in memory (http://3dbrew.org/wiki/Memory_layout). Get arm9 data @ 0x01FFB819 to 0x01FFB880 and overwrite the data on your new 3ds as part of the arm9hax process. Then see if it would work. Another idea is to patch NIM directly to use the device token and certs from your old 3ds.

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really appreciate your help yifan_lu, but you seem to be under the impression that I know much, much more about programming than I actually do. I have no idea how to patch things in memory.

Anyway, I can't do much of anything right now because I managed to semi-brick my 3DS (it boots, but every exploit stopped working). I've sent it to someone to get a NAND mod installed.

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OOOOOkay, so who else wants to try this?

Thanks to Archshift (yay!), there's finally a public way to generate Xorpads on the New 3DS. Run this with Cubic Ninja.

My New 3DS is away being NAND-modded atm, but it would be great if some other people could experiment with this.

Reactions: cearp

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu

Thanks to Archshift (yay!), there's finally a public way to generate Xorpads on the New 3DS. Run thiswith Cubic Ninja.

My New 3DS is away being NAND-modded atm, but it would be great if some other people could experiment with this.

although a shame we need cn, it would ne nice to use it via OoT :) thanks for the info though
and, where did you find the file?

mokonayoshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire

Thanks to Archshift (yay!), there's finally a public way to generate Xorpads on the New 3DS. Run thiswith Cubic Ninja.

Gonna try this tomorrow with my sky3DS. Is very unusable or it works fine?

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
although a shame we need cn, it would ne nice to use it via OoT :) thanks for the info though
and, where did you find the file?
Compile https://github.com/archshift/Decrypt9/tree/bootstrap, then compile the arm9 branch of bootstrap with the resulting bin file.

Gonna try this tomorrow with my sky3DS. Is very unusable or it works fine?

As I've said: everything aside from the eShop works perfectly as long as you don't install the US version of Streetpass Mii Plaza, AR Games, or Mii Maker. Install any one (or more) of those titles, and it crashes when suspending software or waking from sleep mode while on the home menu.

My suggestion would be, instead of installing US titles via DevMenu, use this to download them as if it were a system update. Yifan_lu said this method worked for him.

Reactions: cearp

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting PM's from people saying Decrypt9 doesn't actually work. I'd normally test something like this before posting about it, but as I've said, my N3DS is off being NAND modded.

It SHOULD work. Maybe I compiled it wrong?

Edit:
The person who PM'd me said:
Ok I got the original one to work by installing a theme with CHMM then opening decrypt9

I doubt it was actually CHMM that fixed it, but there you go! It does work, but you might have to try a few times.

SpongeFreak52

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My suggestion would be, instead of installing US titles via DevMenu, use this to download them as if it were a system update. Yifan_lu said this method worked for him.

Are you referring to titles such as StreetPass Mii Plaza, or ones that you didn't mention?

Going to give this a shot momentarily, hopped out of bed as I read your earlier post. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: also, i've tried to put my simping ways aside a bit, but i just gotta say before i go