Crazy Taxi mod restores product placement and analog controls

Even in a world of constant ports and re-releases, game preservation can be tricky. As licenses expire or the hardware a game was designed around becomes obsolete, certain games are going to inevitably end up changed from their original state. One such example is Crazy Taxi, the arcade game that received fairly faithful PC and console ports in the early 2000s, received another round of ports around 2010 that had to be altered for release. Namely, the real-world locations customers would want to be driven to, like Pizza Hut or Kentucky Fried Chicken, had to be renamed to generic titles, like Fried Chicken Shack. While there has been a mod available for some time now called the Dreamcast Restoration Mod that restores the titles of the restaurants, it used a method that only let the same number of characters be used on the new titles, meaning, for example, Kentucky Fried Chicken had to be shortened to KentuckyFriedChickn. It also replaced some of the new building designs with new assets that replicate the look of the original, albeit imperfectly.

Now, a new mod has been released that aims to improve those shortcomings, coming to us from modders Silent and alexvgz, who created the original Dreamcast Restoration mod. Dubbed Dreamcast Restoration mod 2.0, the new mod fixes the issue in the location names, but more importantly, is able to accurately depict the buildings as they were in the original arcade version. This is because the assets for the original version still exist in this port, but were being wallpapered over with new ones. By disabling the code that told the game where to find the new assets, the original models appear unaltered. (It's worth noting that the Dreamcast Restoration mod does not restore the original Dreamcast music; it was deemed unnecessary since such a mod already exists.)

Crazy_Taxi_JtWQkuJuCM.jpeg

While working on the Restoration mod, the team noticed some other issues in the game code that could be fixed relatively easily. So, releasing alongside the Restoration mod is a SilentPatch that addresses some of these issues. It restores proper analog controls, which also had an imperfect fix out already, as well as fixes a crashing issue when trying to use a steering wheel controller. Another notable change is that it restores the cheat codes present in the arcade version and Dreamcast port. While the cheats activated at the main menu were carried over to the recent ports, those activated in-game were missing. The SilentPatch even makes these codes activate using the same input as they did in the first PC port from 2002, meaning guides written for the game nearly two decades ago will be compatible with this mod. There are other changes included in the patch, and a full changelog can be seen in Silent's blog post attached below.

:arrow: Source

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure I have seen a mod restore product placement before. Plenty of games where product placement out of main region means the main region is preferred but a mod restoring it is new, though not necessarily unexpected.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surprised there's still interest in the game all these years later.. still a unique type of gameplay experience i guess.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I have the Gamecube and PS2 versions... so this is cool and that but is not like I am going to buy the PC version just for modding it.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
From a game preservation perspective adding real-world product-placement to a game version that lacks real-world product placement seems totally justified. From any other perspective it's weird. Just sayin'.

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From a game preservation perspective adding real-world product-placement to a game version that lacks real-world product placement seems totally justified. From any other perspective it's weird. Just sayin'.
meh. it's one of the few cases where it fits in. kfc will stick in your head a lot better then some generic place assuming your you live in a place where kfcs, pizza huts and the likes are common

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own this game on steam, but I never played it. I guess I don't have the same nostalgia for it. Only reason why I had it cause it was part of a "Dreamcast Bundle" that came with it.... and Nights, journey into dreams... which I also never played, also NOT A DREAMCAST GAME! :blink:

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Surprised there's still interest in the game all these years later.. still a unique type of gameplay experience i guess.
It makes for a fun speedrunning discipline, and is also a popular target for homemade arcade recreations, so the cult community is there =)

Last edited by Pipistrele,

neotank19

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know they have some love for this game. Ahh nostalgia. Perhaps I'll will pull the dreamcast out and play some toy commander.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo