Craig Harris Loves Pocket Physics :P

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by JKR Firefox, Feb 16, 2008.

Feb 16, 2008
  1. JKR Firefox
    OP

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    Here's the link: http://blogs.ign.com/craig-ign/2008/02/12/.

The Greatest Nintendo DS Game Ever
    Or: "One of the many reasons why Professor Layton wasn't reviewed today." I made the mistake of checking out the Nintendo DS homebrew scene, and stumbling upon what is currently my Digital Crack. Meet Pocket Physics, a little project from a garage Nintendo DS programmer. In Pocket Physics, there is no game. It's just a toolkit where you can draw fixed platforms and moving objects, and create all sorts of Pee-Wee Herman breakfast machines using the 2D physics models. I totally love these types of toys. I'm a huge fan of playing with physics engines (I spent a good few hours throwing soda cans around in Half Life 2, for example), and even though this game's an unoptimized, buggy little sandbox it still offers a tremendous amount of creativity. You can draw boxes. You can draw balls. You can roll balls and boxes down slopes. And then when I discovered that you could "pin" objects with pivot points and combine multiple items into one...oh, man, my day was completely shot. The more objects it has to handle, naturally, the slower it gets. Only use a couple of balls and boxes and the demo runs pretty darn smooth. I will admit that this isn't the first physics demo I've tinkered around with on the Nintendo DS. DS developers have shown me, off the record of course, some of their own attempts at Havok-like physics engines on the handheld, and admittedly some of theirs are far more elaborate...but none of their tech demos were as open and freely explorable as Pocket Physics. And for the love of god, please don't tell me about other physics demos. I know this is inspired by Crayon Physics, and I'm a huge fan of Line Rider, too. You can find more at the guy’s page. You’ll need a way to put a DS file onto a DS cartridge, and since there was a report that 90 percent of you already have a way to do it, I’m not going to tell you how. So nyah.

Hmmm...I wonder how Craig was able to run the homebrew?

2. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    What if the review by IGN is done on flashcart?
    At least they must get flashcart to run PP.

3. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    It's pretty cool to have homebrew coverage in the mainstream media. I'd like to see more of it.

4. JKR Firefox
    OP

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    I agree with you Opium. Everyone seems to cast us in a bad light but for once it's nice to see a positive spin on things. I mean, why are there so many talented developers out there who Nintendo and other companies are allowing to go to waste? We're sick of the same old same old. I know I am anyway which is why I turned to flash carts in the first place. I bet you I'm not the only one who picked up a game, got home and realized it was crap. It's so much better for me to be able to download, try, and buy if I like it.

5. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Have yoou looked at the comments. Everyone there hates (or pretends to hate) flash carts. I have never seen such negative reactions anywhere else.

6. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    This may mean more noobs then usual or lurkers that hog bandwidth [​IMG]

Or, more programmers may see this as an incentive to program for the DS( more people would use it or something..........)

7. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    They don't seem that negative to me...?

8. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Well, that is just a single comment that leaves room to interpretation because of the "By their logic and definition" part. When I looked yesterday, it appeared worse to me. Must have been the dizziness I felt.

9. JKR Firefox
    OP

Member JKR Firefox Back.

Canada
    Well, from what I can tell there is only one negative comment out of 15. And if you interpret it the way I did, I believe the guy was being sarcastic.

10. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

There are going to be lots of noobs hassling the developer now because of that coverage

11. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    If IGN have a flashcart... that means one of the IGN editors must have an account here on gbatemp...

12. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    flash cart exposure on any mainstream site can't mean anything good for flash carts.

i for one am starting to hate ign. they banned me for saying "too bad blu-ray won, hd dvds seem easier to pirate." yet they've made one article that pretty much served as an advert for the R4.

13. pasc

Member pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Germany
    I found you ! Show yourself Craig !

14. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    you're all kidding yourselves something fierce if you truly believe that the people in [the industry] (magazine reviewers, strategy guide publishers/authors), developers and even people at companies like sony, microsoft and nintendo don't know about this site and the the "tools" of the trade.

when I worked in the biz, we had access to everything that everyone here does. it's cheaper than official dev tools and more easily accessible and allows people to do their jobs. plain and simple.