Back.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Here's the link: http://blogs.ign.com/craig-ign/2008/02/12/.

The Greatest Nintendo DS Game Ever
Or: "One of the many reasons why Professor Layton wasn't reviewed today." I made the mistake of checking out the Nintendo DS homebrew scene, and stumbling upon what is currently my Digital Crack. Meet Pocket Physics, a little project from a garage Nintendo DS programmer. In Pocket Physics, there is no game. It's just a toolkit where you can draw fixed platforms and moving objects, and create all sorts of Pee-Wee Herman breakfast machines using the 2D physics models. I totally love these types of toys. I'm a huge fan of playing with physics engines (I spent a good few hours throwing soda cans around in Half Life 2, for example), and even though this game's an unoptimized, buggy little sandbox it still offers a tremendous amount of creativity. You can draw boxes. You can draw balls. You can roll balls and boxes down slopes. And then when I discovered that you could "pin" objects with pivot points and combine multiple items into one...oh, man, my day was completely shot. The more objects it has to handle, naturally, the slower it gets. Only use a couple of balls and boxes and the demo runs pretty darn smooth. I will admit that this isn't the first physics demo I've tinkered around with on the Nintendo DS. DS developers have shown me, off the record of course, some of their own attempts at Havok-like physics engines on the handheld, and admittedly some of theirs are far more elaborate...but none of their tech demos were as open and freely explorable as Pocket Physics. And for the love of god, please don't tell me about other physics demos. I know this is inspired by Crayon Physics, and I'm a huge fan of Line Rider, too. You can find more at the guy’s page. You’ll need a way to put a DS file onto a DS cartridge, and since there was a report that 90 percent of you already have a way to do it, I’m not going to tell you how. So nyah.

Hmmm...I wonder how Craig was able to run the homebrew?

JKR Firefox

Back.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
by Doggy124
What if the review by IGN is done on flashcart?
At least they must get flashcart to run PP.

I always wondered if they had some sort of official flashcart kicking around their offices. Do they always get an actual copy of the game? I doubt it somehow. Also, remember the video of Matt playing the Halo DS concept on his DS? How was he able to get that to run? Was it an actual beta cartridge as he stated? Or if, as everyone else claims, he made it on his own using the Goldeneye Rogue Agent engine, how would he have been able to execute it? Strange
tongue.gif

QUOTEby Opium
It's pretty cool to have homebrew coverage in the mainstream media. I'd like to see more of it.

I agree with you Opium. Everyone seems to cast us in a bad light but for once it's nice to see a positive spin on things. I mean, why are there so many talented developers out there who Nintendo and other companies are allowing to go to waste? We're sick of the same old same old. I know I am anyway which is why I turned to flash carts in the first place. I bet you I'm not the only one who picked up a game, got home and realized it was crap. It's so much better for me to be able to download, try, and buy if I like it.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Have yoou looked at the comments. Everyone there hates (or pretends to hate) flash carts. I have never seen such negative reactions anywhere else.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
This may mean more noobs then usual or lurkers that hog bandwidth
dry.gif

Or, more programmers may see this as an incentive to program for the DS( more people would use it or something..........)

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
QUOTE said:
So you basically admit to having a flashcard you play this on? Somebody should go and tell Nintendo. By their logic and definition, that makes you a Miyamoto-raping pirate, who deserves to be given the plank.

Well, that is just a single comment that leaves room to interpretation because of the "By their logic and definition" part. When I looked yesterday, it appeared worse to me. Must have been the dizziness I felt.

JKR Firefox

Back.
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
So you basically admit to having a flashcard you play this on? Somebody should go and tell Nintendo. By their logic and definition, that makes you a Miyamoto-raping pirate, who deserves to be given the plank.

Well, that is just a single comment that leaves room to interpretation because of the "By their logic and definition" part. When I looked yesterday, it appeared worse to me. Must have been the dizziness I felt.

Well, from what I can tell there is only one negative comment out of 15. And if you interpret it the way I did, I believe the guy was being sarcastic.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
flash cart exposure on any mainstream site can't mean anything good for flash carts.

i for one am starting to hate ign. they banned me for saying "too bad blu-ray won, hd dvds seem easier to pirate." yet they've made one article that pretty much served as an advert for the R4.

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If IGN have a flashcart... that means one of the IGN editors must have an account here on gbatemp...
you're all kidding yourselves something fierce if you truly believe that the people in [the industry] (magazine reviewers, strategy guide publishers/authors), developers and even people at companies like sony, microsoft and nintendo don't know about this site and the the "tools" of the trade.

when I worked in the biz, we had access to everything that everyone here does. it's cheaper than official dev tools and more easily accessible and allows people to do their jobs. plain and simple.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol newegg+