CQuake for dsimode anyone?

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by wolfmanz51, Feb 20, 2011.

Feb 20, 2011

CQuake for dsimode anyone? by wolfmanz51 at 8:58 PM (11,020 Views / 0 Likes) 64 replies

1. wolfmanz51
    OP

Member wolfmanz51 MrNintendosense

United States
    its a tresure hunt! Google code dsi file ds
    Elhobbs said
    EDIT: this is not coded specifically for DSi mode it just works with the ievo compatibility layer

2. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Froze when I tried to load it without the mp3s.
    I went on a 3-4 hour hunt for the mp3s yesterday, and I found the original ISO, so I ripped the songs off of it. But there are only 10 tracks (your post says it needs tracks 2-11, but there is no 11). What do I do?

3. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    IIRC, "Track 1" is the game data, Track 2~11 are what is playable in a CD player.

4. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Haven't gotten either version to work. I managed to get the July 2008 version working, but it doesn't have mp3 support.

5. elhobbs

Member elhobbs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    it is built using the latest libnds - so, by that measure it is built for the dsi and the ds. also, your links point to specific (older) releases. the latest version can be found at this url cquake latest svn. I can confirm that it works with the ievo but I do not have another way to launch dsi homebrew.

as far as setup goes - if you can get the July 2008 version running then the latest svn version should run as well. I need to change the way that the heapsize is currently being determined. right now you need to alter the cquake.ini file in the root of your card to get the dsi to use more memory. I set the heapsize to 15000 for dsi mode. the problem is that it will then fail in ds mode - though if you can run it in dsi mode then why would you want to run it in ds mode?

6. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I'm not trying to run it in DSi mode, I'm using a DStwo.
    But r25-r29 gives me rainbow bars on the bottom screen when initializing data, I haven't tried r30, but r31-r34 blurs/shakes the screen and stops when trying to load the mp3 (96kbs 22khz stereo, stops when loading track 2), and r35-r36 is the same except without the weird screen effects.

I don't know what went wrong, since r24 works completely fine for me.

7. elhobbs

United States
    try modifying your cquake.ini file in the root of your card. try changing heapsize to 3300. here is the cquake.ini file that I use with my dstwo on my dsi - I have quake installed in a directory named quake so that may not apply to you. as a note the cquake.ini file should be a single line of text with no carriage returns

-listgame -heapsize 3300 -basedir /quake

EDIT: I updated the value from 3395 to 3300 - I was using an older version on my dstwo. the latest version requires 3300 or it hangs

8. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Nope. Even with heapsize 3300, it freezes when loading track 2.

9. elhobbs

United States
    that is odd. I must confess that I am not much of an mp3 expert. does it work without the mp3 files present? they may be encoded in a format that is not compatible with the mp3 library (helix) that cquake uses. I converted the files using itunes. I set the import format to mp3, 96kbs, stereo - then import the quake cd.

try removing the mp3 files and see if it works. if it still hangs then the mp3 files are not the problem.

10. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Without the MP3s, I get an error... (I'm using r36)

I've taken the time to copy down the whole error screen:
    error codes

11. elhobbs

United States
    the specified address does not point to cquake code. this usually happens when the filesystem is not fully defragmented. cquake bypasses libfat in certain places, but it relies on the filesystem being fully defragmented. when it is not then bad data gets read from disk and it crashes. this really helped performance at one point - not sure if it still does...

12. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    So how can I fix it? (since defragmenting is bad for flash memory, and I don't want to reformat)

13. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    You can effectively "defragment" flash memory by copying all your data off the card, doing a full format, and copying it back on. I know you said you don't want to format, but I'd keep it as an option.

14. elhobbs

United States
    I will take another look at removing that requirement. there is a lot of disk reading going on in ds mode as there is only around 1-1.2 MB available for caching models and sounds effects. mp3 only uses about 16 kb (or 24 kb - i forget) but not enough to make a big difference.

it definitely can be removed for dsi mode where disk reads are less frequent, but it may make things unplayable in ds mode.

15. elhobbs

United States
    I updated the svn (r37) that removes the libfat bypass code path. this removes the requirement for a defragmented filesystem.

16. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    Hmm... I can get it to work now through the default plugin menu now, but I get the exact same error when I launch cQuake in iMenu.

17. VatoLoco

Member VatoLoco Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers.

United States
    Latest SVN version is working with Sudoku exploit =D
    very cool, thanks elhobbs =)

Has it been confirmed as working with the Cyclos dsi mode?

edit: missed this reading through the first time=p

18. Bunie

Member Bunie #1 Princess

United States
    I have a DSLite with a DSTT, wich build was last supported under these specs and is it better than the QuakeDS found over @ DrunkenCoders?

19. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I got this to work with SudokuHax and it is awesome. Full sound, touch control, extra cpu speed, -- everything! Couldn't believe it worked! Anybody else get it to work with S-Hax?

Edit: I'll settle down now. [​IMG] Hey elhobbs! (Didn't expect to see the dev here!) This is cool, good job man!
    Quick simple question: is it possible to save with S-Hax Quake?

20. Sir_Voe

Member Sir_Voe GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Nice! Always good to see another homebrew that works with Sudoku, and this is one of my favorites from way back.
    Seeing as the SD lib apparently doesn't yet support writing to memory, I edited the cfg files settings to suit my taste: brighter lighting, touch screen sensitivity increased, dpad strafing, and a few other assorted setting tweaks. This way I won't have to change a bunch of settings every time I play. If anyone else would like to use them, here they are:

http://rapidshare.com/files/450707799/autoexec.zip

Just extract them to your ID1 folder, replacing the existing ones.