• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Covid-19 vaccine

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 500 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 245 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RocaBOT

Yo best puppy (but automated 🙃)
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
tabzer, if you're going to go on saying that "half of your sources say [this]", please CITE the fucking sources that do so. Unless you can say which ones do what you say they do, your word has no value.

RocaBOT

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
England has effectively removed all restrictions, including the self-isolation requirement, opting instead to urge the public to practice safe behaviours and stress the importance of hygiene. After an initial spike in cases, which was to be expected, the number of deaths is steadily decreasing.
It's almost as if the restrictions were lifted only 2 weeks ago and that the lag between actions and hospitalisations was 2 weeks since the beginning of the f*ing pandemic 2 years ago. And that the lag between hospitalisation and death was also positive (making the total lag more than 2 weeks).
Incidentally, the number of intensive care patients in the UK is growing again, after 2 weeks of no restrictions. Who could have thought? 🥴
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare

RocaBOT

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@The Catboy posted the sources. I read them and responded. If you want to be coy and say that the sources didn't say those things, then I would be happy to make you look like a schmuck.

Enjoy:
which ones? You're giving the whole bunch when you said only "half" of them said what you say they say. I'm not losing my time reading the whole thing if you cannot single out the ones that are relevant to your narrative. You're the one claiming something, you're the one who needs to cite exactly where it is, please. Like I'm trying to help you here, for once, so you can try to not be an ass and not talk to me in such a condescending way.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's almost as if the restrictions were lifted only 2 weeks ago and that the lag between actions and hospitalisations was 2 weeks since the beginning of the f*ing pandemic 2 years ago. And that the lag between hospitalisation and death was also positive (making the total lag more than 2 weeks).
Incidentally, the number of intensive care patients in the UK is growing again, after 2 weeks of no restrictions. Who could have thought? 🥴
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare
We’re all well-aware of the delay between infection and possible hospitalisation. There was no observable spike in deaths and only a very moderate uptick in cases that doesn’t go beyond the variability expected from this disease. If you expected a slam dunk, it’s falling pretty flat - the last spike was observed in January. Swing and a miss. Graph below, sorted by nation, since we’re talking specifically about England and not Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. Tl;dr/How2Graph, lifting the restrictions had negligible effect, if any.

00200580-E0F6-46BF-818F-A6F5B605FA93.jpeg

For the record, I made my post 2 weeks after the rules were relaxed (which happens to be the incubation period of the original virus, variants incubate faster), now it’s been over 3 weeks, which means that you were wrong then and you continue to be wrong now, so I’m not sure why you’re pulling the victory lap routine - the data is stacked against you. If there was going to be some sudden spike, we’d see it by now. In fact, we’d see it last week. All we saw was a moderate uptick, as I stated earlier and as I restated now.

Edit: I initially looked up the wrong date, it was 13 days to be exact, one day short of two weeks.

RocaBOT

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The rules were only scrapped in the UK at the end of February though, I fail to see how an early-march post is more than 2 weeks after that.

To be exact, only rules that were scrapped early february are international arrivals, not local rules about masks and promiscuity. And that's literally what counts.

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we're past the point where citing sources will change anyone's mind. There's a "credible" source for pretty much any claim these days, just depends which side you're on. We're in a post-news era. The news outlets are technically putting out true statements, but still managing to lie by omission.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The rules were only scrapped in the UK at the end of February though, I fail to see how an early-march post is more than 2 weeks after that.
The restrictions were officially lifted on February 24th. I made my post March 8th. Wanna count the days together, or can you handle that? I’m counting 13 days (since February only has 28), with the NHS estimating Omicron’s incubation period to be between 3 and 5. How about now? Still failing, or just being facetious? Plenty of time for cases to start mounting, especially with this variant, and yet here we are. Initially I remembered the date of 21st, but that’s when the plan was published - it went live on the 24th, so fair enough, one day short of two weeks. Still a weak argument with Omicron in mind. Let me repeat that - 3 to 5 days. Not 2 weeks.
To be exact, only rules that were scrapped early february are international arrivals, not local rules about masks and promiscuity. And that's literally what counts.
Why are you telling me what rules were changed or lifted in a country *I* live in? I think I know what changed a little bit better than you do. Good grief.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ay-safe-as-covid-19-england-restrictions-lift

Reactions: Retro_Mod_Gamer

RocaBOT

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow okay, I was slightly wrong on the duration indeed. Do you need to be so agressive though? I do not think my messages were, good grief.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wow okay, I was slightly wrong on the duration indeed. Do you need to be so agressive though? I do not think my messages were, good grief.
That’s not the impression I got - you came across as sarcastic and unnecessarily rude when the results you posted were predicted in the very same post you were quoting. If that was not your intention then I apologise, but I have low tolerance for snark, especially when what I’m saying is backed by data, not government propaganda - I’m not a huge fan of the government.

I made a very simple statement of fact - based on all available data regarding Omicron keeping the restrictions in place made no sense to the UK government, and weeks down the line we see the exact result that was expected. It’s simply not as deadly as earlier variants, it incubates fast and it’s extremely contagious, equivalent to the likes of measles. I have no doubt that most cases go completely unreported, but as I stated earlier, the gross majority are about as severe as a cold, with symptoms passing after around three days. If the point you were trying to make was that some people will die from it, you’re not wrong - some people definitely will - people die for all sorts of reasons, the question is whether it’s worth to shut the country down over it. By this point people in risk groups should’ve been vaccinated three times over, if they haven’t gone through the trouble of getting a free shot after two years, they’re clearly not intending to get one now. We can’t stay in our basements forever and pretend that this is an acceptable state of affairs, not when the risk is minimal. From a macro perspective, the value of generating herd immunity via the spread of a (comparatively speaking) benign variant, and the value of returning to a semblance of normalcy, cannot be overstated. If the data we have on Omicron is correct then for all intents and purposes this is the end game for most people - it’s over.

For the record, I wouldn’t be surprised if we *did* see record COVID deaths at some point, as seen across the pond. That’s not because Omicron is particularly deadly - it’s because it spreads like wildfire, infecting orders of magnitude more people than earlier variants. In other words, we’re dealing with a “small slice of a bigger pie” kind of situation - it’s a small subset of a larger total. Most cases will likely never be reported due to the mild nature of the infection and the fast recover time (around three days). Many people will just assume they caught a cold, they’ll never get tested and they’ll never know they had it. Of all the variants out there Omicron is by far the most preferable - most people are open to the risk of sniffles, but not open to the prospect of coughing their organs out. So, to reiterate, this is not an excuse for complacency - people should not treat this as an excuse to engage in irresponsible behaviour or to lower their hygiene standards. With that being said, we’re dealing with a very different virus now, and with the virus changing, so should the approach towards it.

Reactions: Retro_Mod_Gamer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
which ones? You're giving the whole bunch when you said only "half" of them said what you say they say. I'm not losing my time reading the whole thing if you cannot single out the ones that are relevant to your narrative. You're the one claiming something, you're the one who needs to cite exactly where it is, please. Like I'm trying to help you here, for once, so you can try to not be an ass and not talk to me in such a condescending way.
So, I'm obligated to read the sources but you are not. If you want to not back the sources that you didn't read, you are free to do that. Also, I agree, wasted my time. It turns out it wasn't genuine, but shit-flinging.

Last edited by tabzer,

RocaBOT

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For the record, I take good care to only cite their data page, and not any page where the government shows their opinion or decisions. Especially because I know said decisions and presented arguments in favour are biased towards their narrative, as is the case with any decisionary body. The raw data can at least be looked at without needing to go through the prism of their tendencies and their 'living with covid' or whatever the current argument is at the time (if looking in the past or the future).
I can understand having low tolerance, sorry if it did appear the way you saw it, perhaps my choice of words was not the best it could have been.
The point still stands, once it grows enough to throw current care capacity (which we already established is limited by the number of care workers and is not just a covid problem), we'll have issues getting healthcare again, and it will have to be tackled again. Pretending otherwise that everything will be all good and well forever is at best a sour dream, I'm afraid.

And yes, there is an issue issue with communication of many world governments and decisionary bodies that are unable to be truthful and trustworthy, which makes people do anything to not listen and to invent whatever conspiracy is good for them even in the face of reality. Ultimately however, the problem is still everyone's problem, like for any other preventable illness. Our luck is that it's not as deadly as some others, but still, it causes problems and it'd be nice to handle that on the long term once and for all, instead of relying on short-term patches forever and declaring that it's magically over after 2 years for no valid reason.

RocaBOT

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*snipped quote to removed post*

For one, maybe you want to tone it down a bit. Moderation decisions are rarely made alone and you have channels to contact the moderation if you want something checked and sorted, if memory serves.
Next, maybe instead of just posting a video, you could have explained with proper words what it is about, because the name itself is frequently used by random conspiracy theories about whatever. So there is reason to have a bias about said words if you give no context. And you should have expected that and taken the front by explaining first and beforehand to avoid that, imo.
Like if it is serious, expose the actual arguments instead of linking to the video and adding nothing of your own? Because otherwise, yes, if the thing sounds like random bullshit with nothing to show otherwise, the mods have power to take action, they're here for that. Publicly ranting about mod decision is not a solution, it's a temper tantrum at best.

Last edited by porkiewpyne,

RocaBOT

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So, I'm obligated to read the sources but you are not. If you want to not back the sources that you didn't read, you are free to do that. Also, I agree, wasted my time. It turns out it wasn't genuine, but shit-flinging.
I'm not the one stating that the sources say something. You are, which means you already read them. Please don't deform my argument in what it is not, especially when I'm not the one who brought in said sources in the first place.

For fuck's sake, you're the one pretending to have read them, and now you're throwing a tantrum because I ask you to point me in the direction you say you read something because I do not have the time to look at the whole of them if only half say what you say they say? This is ridiculous man, get a grip of yourself!

Reactions: The Catboy

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For one, maybe you want to tone it down a bit. Moderation decisions are rarely made alone and you have channels to contact the moderation if you want something checked and sorted, if memory serves.
Next, maybe instead of just posting a video, you could have explained with proper words what it is about, because the name itself is frequently used by random conspiracy theories about whatever. So there is reason to have a bias about said words if you give no context. And you should have expected that and taken the front by explaining first and beforehand to avoid that, imo.
Like if it is serious, expose the actual arguments instead of linking to the video and adding nothing of your own? Because otherwise, yes, if the thing sounds like random bullshit with nothing to show otherwise, the mods have power to take action, they're here for that. Publicly ranting about mod decision is not a solution, it's a temper tantrum at best.

I believe the title and organization which was posting the original video alone should show that they are in no way affiliated with any web site or organization focused upon conspiracy or coincidence research, and rather was a video made with the global economy in mind.
Given the DRASTIC changes that the world has allowed itself to endure in the name of a virus that has an exceptionally high survival rate, it becomes which clear that while watching, the lock downs, the "vaccine" mandates, and so forth, all effect the welfare of global economics and the people imprisoned to it.

If these words elude half of the MODs on this site, then that is not a fault of mine, but of their cognitive abilities or disabilities there in.

As for explaining my self and where I am coming from each and every post...
...I have been here for years, I already have a reputation, people kind of know what to expect from me and basically where I am coming from because of all my other posts and videos. I really don't have time to break my self down and re-iterate every single post. I am not trying to be a prick but dem's da facts.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
My Wife (37) got Covid too - Stupid little Thing
She has reacted a little different
from my (also stupid Man - 52) Symptoms (only a little tired) but everything is fine.
Best Friend (stupid Man too - 59) has a little more (coughing and headache) but not more and is fine.
My "Maid of Honor" has no Symptoms...stupid little Girl (42).
Me Wifes Female College (stupid Woman - 35) had little Headache and was tired,nothing more.
and with many more (stupid) People who I had "Covid Conversation" in the last 4 Weeks....
By the Way,we/they are all unvaccinated - stupid People.

5 stupid Humans - 5 different Reactions.
Why shouldn't that also be true with regard to this
"It helps everyone,it is safe for everyone and is equal for everyone " Vaccination Thing ?
(This Time I do not forget to push the sarcasm Button to OFF *click*)

appleburger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wife (37) got Covid too - Stupid little Thing
She has reacted a little different
from my (also stupid Man - 52) Symptoms (only a little tired) but everything is fine.
Best Friend (stupid Man too - 59) has a little more (coughing and headache) but not more and is fine.
My "Maid of Honor" has no Symptoms...stupid little Girl (42).
Me Wifes Female College (stupid Woman - 35) had little Headache and was tired,nothing more.
and with many more (stupid) People who I had "Covid Conversation" in the last 4 Weeks....
By the Way,we/they are all unvaccinated - stupid People.

5 stupid Humans - 5 different Reactions.
Why shouldn't that also be true with regard to this
"It helps everyone,it is safe for everyone and is equal for everyone " Vaccination Thing ?
(This Time I do not forget to push the sarcasm Button to OFF *click*)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_size_determination

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

Last edited by appleburger,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/sGvT5FKSiyk?si=TYqsdjjbF-4N8Xc8