• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Covid-19 vaccine

Will you get the vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 500 67.1%
  • No

Votes: 245 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
this'll lead you eventually to the one truth.
There is no 'the one truth'.

But I think of 'antifa' (in the US) as a phenomenon in the US that (if they are visible in the form of protests, at all), is mostly limited to two states, where a bunch of young people migrated to because of rent (becoming to high) pressures, and that then dont had the best economic growth projections. So social unrest potential as well, but not on the right wing.

And because its so flipping limited in attaining public visibility at all -- arguably it even more so is a scarecrow, right wingers might put in front of your window, to convince you that 'mainstream ideology is in danger' - to then move you to the ideological fringes as well.. ;)
Name me one instance, where 'antifa' actually mattered or produced something of lasting societal value, or gain in mindshare in the US.

Or is this just the fringes hitting themselves over their heads over who is the right type of radical?

'Antifa' might become more important, if the US chooses to become more authoritarian again. But even thats highly doubtful, and probably mostly scaretactics employed by teenagers.. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nah, dude. There’s a huge difference between someone listening to medical professionals vs someone who thinks being asked to consider the health of others is “forcing them.” No one is forcing you to get the vaccine but that doesn’t mean people should respect you nor your action. It also doesn’t mean that you are free from being criticized and being called out on your stupidity. Simply put, anti-vaxxors are stupid and they are a massive problem. Diseases that were once considered rare or even nearly eliminated have started to spread again because of anti-vaxxors. Covid is still spreading because people are refusing to get the vaccines. Anti-vaxxors are dangerous idiots who are deliberately ignoring actual professionals because they believe some stupid conspiracy they heard about on YouTube or something stupid like that.
Because you and others here have the moral authority and high ground to judge others actions and opinions. Gotcha. You can disagree with others actions, but that still doesn't mean your actions are the right ones either. All I know is, is that if people like you disagree with my way of doing things it means I'm going in the right direction.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Savior of the broken
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Because you and others here have the moral authority and high ground to judge others actions and opinions. Gotcha. You can disagree with others actions, but that still doesn't mean your actions are the right ones either. All I know is, is that if people like you disagree with my way of doing things it means I'm going in the right direction.
Your opinions are based on misinformation and pseudoscience that is causing the death of countless people who are unfortunate enough to be exposed to anti-vaxxors. This isn't just disagreeing on how much cream goes into coffee, this is disagreeing with your moronic actions that have the possibility of killing other people. But you know, I am going to ask you to provide a good and evidence-backed reason as to why you should be respected? Do you have evidence to prove that being against vaccines isn't a harmful practice?

Reactions: KingVamp and Lacius

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has nothing to do with authority or high ground. It can be demonstrated that people who choose not to get vaccinated are willfully increasing the odds of getting sick and spreading sickness to others, potentially (and actually) killing people.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got vaccinated and I saw a pop up window that sad "Microsoft would like to know your location". I also have the sudden urge to get Game Pass, a Series S and Series X, and get Windows 11 Pro and Enterprise.

Reactions: KingVamp and Lacius

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your opinions are based on misinformation and pseudoscience that is causing the death of countless people who are unfortunate enough to be exposed to anti-vaxxors. This isn't just disagreeing on how much cream goes into coffee, this is disagreeing with your moronic actions that have the possibility of killing other people. But you know, I am going to ask you to provide a good and evidence-backed reason as to why you should be respected? Do you have evidence to prove that being against vaccines isn't a harmful practice?
All I said was you can't make people take vaccines or do stuff they don't want to do because we all have basic human rights. I don't think I said why, I just said people don't have to because it's their choice and even if you wanna judge that, that still doesn't mean your position is automatically right because you disagree with one's actions. I wasn't looking for a debate (for now), just pointing out basic human rights is all.

This has nothing to do with authority or high ground. It can be demonstrated that people who choose not to get vaccinated are willfully increasing the odds of getting sick and spreading sickness to others, potentially (and actually) killing people.
Oh boo hoo hoo. People die everyday from plenty of other things, to car accidents to other diseases, so the goddamn king flu isn't a unique case where very few people die from it anyway. "B-b-b-b-but it's preventable with the vaccine." So is falling down the stairs and breaking your neck but that also happens to people anyway. You can't control every little thing and belittle people for not following your rhetoric.

D

Deleted User

so the goddamn king flu isn't a unique case where very few people die from it anyway.
607,000 deaths
33.9M cases.
United states. Alone. Those numbers aren't adding the entirety of the worldwide.

This ignores any of the long term issues from getting covid 19 for those who do survive, such as your lungs functioning worse than smoker, loss of taste and smell. Car crashes only 6 million occur, and total deaths is 36,096.
To put that in perspective. 607K from covid ranks higher than the second leading cause of death in the United states in 2019. Which is cancer.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm
Think twice before you go saying very few people die from it.

Last edited by ,

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
607,000 deaths
33.9M cases.
United states. Alone. Those numbers aren't adding the entirety of the world wide.

This ignores any of the long term issues from getting covid 19 for those who do survive, such as your lungs functioning worse than smoker, loss of taste and smell. Car crashes only 6 million occur, and total deaths is 36,096.
To put that in perspective. 607K from covid ranks higher than the second leading cause of death in the United states in 2019. Which is cancer.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/leading-causes-of-death.htm
Think twice before you go saying very few people die from it.
Considering the world wide 7 billion population, even if you add world wide deaths, which is 4 million I think (and god knows how much that is a lie, if you die from a car crash but have covid they still say it's covid), 4 million vs. 7 billion, um yes, that's still very few people.

Reactions: _47iscool

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I said was you can't make people take vaccines or do stuff they don't want to do because we all have basic human rights. I don't think I said why, I just said people don't have to because it's their choice and even if you wanna judge that, that still doesn't mean your position is automatically right because you disagree with one's actions. I wasn't looking for a debate (for now), just pointing out basic human rights is all.

Oh boo hoo hoo. People die everyday from plenty of other things, to car accidents to other diseases, so the goddamn king flu isn't a unique case where very few people die from it anyway. "B-b-b-b-but it's preventable with the vaccine." So is falling down the stairs and breaking your neck but that also happens to people anyway. You can't control every little thing and belittle people for not following your rhetoric.
"People die everyday, so there's no point in trying to stop hundreds of thousands (or millions) of preventable American deaths." It's hard to believe you're being serious. By your logic, why even have seatbelts?

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

Some of those car accidents are avoidable. We can belittle and shame drunk drivers. It is their fault that people die.

We can draw similarities to drunk driving and people refusing to get the vaccine. They are both putting other people at risk in a situation that is avoidable.

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"People die everyday, so there's no point in trying to stop hundreds of thousands (or millions) of preventable American deaths." It's hard to believe you're being serious. By your logic, why even have seatbelts?
Some of those car accidents are avoidable. We can belittle and shame drunk drivers. It is their fault that people die.

We can draw similarities to drunk driving and people refusing to get the vaccine. They are both putting other people at risk in a situation that is avoidable.
Is it avoidable, and you can take steps to prevent a lot of disasters, but you can never completely stop them or predict the unpredictable. You can control events up to a point, but don't get hung up on trying to control every little thing.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the world wide 7 billion population, even if you add world wide deaths, which is 4 million I think (and god knows how much that is a lie, if you die from a car crash but have covid they still say it's covid), 4 million vs. 7 billion, um yes, that's still very few people.
Whichever way you slice it, 4 million deaths is a lot of death, and that's with COVID-19 mitigation like masks, physical distancing, and (more recently) vaccines. Without masks, physical distancing, and vaccines, the number of worldwide deaths might be closer to 80 million.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Is it avoidable, and you can take steps to prevent a lot of disasters, but you can never completely stop them or predict the unpredictable. You can control events up to a point, but don't get hung up on trying to control every little thing.
You're right. Some deaths are unavoidable and unpredictable. That doesn't apply, however, to current COVID-19 deaths.

Reactions: The Catboy

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whichever way you slice it, 4 million deaths is a lot of death, and that's with COVID-19 mitigation like masks, physical distancing, and (more recently) vaccines. Without masks, physical distancing, and vaccines, the number of worldwide deaths might be closer to 80 million.
Yeah I don't think so bud, and although it is sad 4 million people supposedly died (I know people died from the disease, but considering how politicized th

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You're right. Some deaths are unavoidable and unpredictable. That doesn't apply, however, to current COVID-19 deaths.
Yeah I don't think so bud, and although it is sad 4 million people supposedly died (I know people died from the disease, but considering how politicized this disease has been from day 1 and how much cover ups have been going on, I'm not going to really commit to that 4 million estimate) but to say it would be 80 million deaths is hysterical and laughable at best. And it can and does apply to current chinese virus deaths. Get your feeling out of it since you rely so much on your version of science and facts.

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Yeah I don't think so bud, and although it is sad 4 million people supposedly died (I know people died from the disease, but considering how politicized th

Yeah I don't think so bud, and although it is sad 4 million people supposedly died (I know people died from the disease, but considering how politicized this disease has been from day 1 and how much cover ups have been going on, I'm not going to really commit to that 4 million estimate) but to say it would be 80 million deaths is hysterical and laughable at best. And it can and does apply to current chinese virus deaths. Get your feeling out of it since you rely so much on your version of science and facts.
No one calls it the Chinese Virus. It just sounds weird hearing or reading that. Get with the times. No one has called it the Chinese Virus in a long time.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There is no evidence of widespread misreporting of COVID-19 deaths, and there are no examples I'm aware of that include someone "getting COVID-19 and then dying in a car crash" being counted as a COVID-19 death. The 4 million number is the closest thing to a correct number that we have, and it could be larger.

The world population is approximately 8 billion. Given the death rate is approximately 1 in 100, that comes out to about 80 million deaths if the virus is allowed to spread unchecked.

Please do not complain about the pandemic being politicized when the former president is the one who politicized. There is no reason for medicine and science to be politicized.

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one calls it the Chinese Virus. It just sounds weird hearing or reading that. Get with the times. No one has called it the Chinese Virus in a long time.
Chinese virus.

There is no evidence of widespread misreporting of COVID-19 deaths, and there are no examples I'm aware of that include someone "getting COVID-19 and then dying in a car crash" being counted as a COVID-19 death. The 4 million number is the closest thing to a correct number that we have, and it could be larger.

The world population is approximately 8 billion. Given the death rate is approximately 1 in 100, that comes out to about 80 million deaths if the virus is allowed to spread unchecked.

Please do not complain about the pandemic being politicized when the former president is the one who politicized. There is no reason for medicine and science to be politicized.
Look at Dr. Fauci as an prime example at this virus being politicized. President Trump didn't politicize it, the left did. Nancy Pelosi knew about the virus and told everyone to go outside to Chinatown and ignore the virus, only weeks later to change her tune.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chinese virus.

Look at Dr. Fauci as an prime example at this virus being politicized. President Trump didn't politicize it, the left did. Nancy Pelosi knew about the virus and told everyone to go outside to Chinatown and ignore the virus, only weeks later to change her tune.
How did Dr. Fauci politicize anything?

Pelosi didn't engage in politicizing the virus. She attempted to de-escalate anti-Asian sentiments.

The United States utterly mishandled the pandemic. 4% of the world's population, but about 25% of worldwide cases and deaths. If anything, it should be called the Trump Mumps.

Last edited by Lacius,

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How did Dr. Fauci politicize anything?

Pelosi didn't engage in politicizing the virus. She attempted to de-escalate anti-Asian sentiments.

The United States utterly mishandled the pandemic. 4% of the world's population, but about 25% of worldwide cases and deaths. If anything, it should be called the Trump Mumps.

And that's just the beginnin. He funded the lab where the virus originated as shown in the leaked emails, he flip flopped on masks saying it'll only stop a dropplet at most but it's not effective, then saying you need to wear a mask to stop it, then wear 2 masks. Virus' are microscopic and can go through the smallest of holes through the mask. I mean,if the mask were to stop the virus, it would have to be made so you wouldn't be able to breathe since if air can slip through the mask a virus can easily as well.

And if Pelosi wanted to "de-escalate anti-Asian sentiments", which wasn't the case, she failed big time since even today Asians are getting brutally attacked int he streets.

For you to believe this was all Trumps fault and nobody else's is misguided and foolish and blind to the fact that all the other politicians pretty much fucked up and blame it on Trump and reminds me why I stopped debating against people like you. People never wanna believe the truth and are too stupid, ignorant, and stubborn to see otherwise.

Last edited by BitMasterPlus,

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

And that's just the beginnin. He funded the lab where the virus originated as shown in the leaked emails, he flip flopped on masks saying it'll only stop a dropplet at most but it's not effective, then saying you need to wear a mask to stop it, then wear 2 masks. Virus' are microscopic and can go through the smallest of holes through the mask. I mean,if the mask were to stop the virus, it would have to be made so you wouldn't be able to breathe since if air can slip through the mask a virus can easily as well.

And if Pelosi wanted to "de-escalate anti-Asian sentiments", which wasn't the case, she failed big time since even today Asians are getting brutally attacked int he streets.

For you to believe this was all Trumps fault and nobody else's is misguided and foolish and blind to the fact that all the other politicians pretty much fucked up and blame it on Trump and reminds me why I stopped debating against people like you. People never wanna believe the truth and are too stupid, ignorant, and stubborn to see otherwise.

oy vey, nothing but idiotic conspiracy theories from you...
and that last sentence is grade a irony coming from you

Last edited by ut2k4master,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There's a lot to debunk here, so everyone forgive me if I miss something.

Fauci said masks probably weren't helpful back when we weren't convinced anything other than medical grade masks were helpful, but as our understanding changed, Fauci said so. There was also concern that citizens would deplete medical grade masks, since those were the only ones confirmed to be effective at the time, when medical professionals needed them most. I can't think of a more intellectually honest position than to go where the evidence goes. That's a feature of medical science, not a bug.

The COVID-19 virus usually transfers from person to person via droplets of saliva, which masks are able to block. A mask doesn't have to block transference at the atomic level in order to be effective (and respectfully, that's a ridiculous suggestion). A virus is many times bigger than oxygen molecules, and saliva droplets are many times bigger than a virus. Cheap disposable masks and cloth masks are at least 50% effective at preventing infected saliva droplets from transferring from person to person, and that number jumps quite a bit with two masks on top of each other. That number is also higher with better masks.

If you don't like wearing masks, get vaccinated. It's as simple as that. The vaccines are 80-95% effective against COVID-19, which is better than the protection you get with a mask, and the CDC guidance is that you don't have to wear a mask in most situations if you are fully vaccinated. It's a win-win.

The only person who politicized the virus was the former president. He downplayed it and ridiculed mitigation techniques like masks for political gain.

Last edited by Lacius,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @K3Nv2 https://youtu.be/_b_WmfLhnMM?si=1GZF2ULEvDAH418O +1