Counter for Rage Quiters!?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by The_Dark_Knight, May 8, 2011.

May 8, 2011
  1. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

Member The_Dark_Knight GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi all,

I hope this is the right place to ask. I skimmed over the forum but couldn't find any place that talked about this.

As validated by this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103736

... the percentage of rage-quitters in the online battles is out of control. I literally get rage-quit on in 9 out of 10 of the matches when I'm winning and a lot of people have had the same experience.

At the very least, I'm wondering if there is a way to edit our win totals so that we can at least give ourselves the wins we deserve? (There is a forfeit option that people are NOT using if they want to give up!)

So... I'm using a Supercard DS Two and have access to Pokesav and the AR function on the card. I don't know what Pokegen does but I could get that if it would help.

What can we do to counter this massive error in the online structure?!

2. Yatashi Strife

Member Yatashi Strife GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i doubt it would be possible because that would be editing the very core of the game and completely changing the the way multiplayer works for that specific game. if u ask me its not worth even trying. i would just deal with it. the fact that u can just start a new game will not persuade anyone to even bother with this.

3. Yatashi Strife

Member Yatashi Strife GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i no its a pain in the arse (happens to me all the time T-T) but i just deal with it and in turn i never rage quit on ANYTHING! ill only quit a game if it has terrible lag.

4. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

United States
    been playing on and off for the last 6 hours... 1 win, 1 loss, and the rest are all rage quits.

I just got rage-quitted by a guy who brought two lvl 33 pokes into a match. what the hell did he expect?!

this is beyond ridiculous.

if there's nothing I can do about it, is there any other way to battle trainers without relying on the random wifi or the snail's pace of friend codes/play dates?

5. demonicstrife

Member demonicstrife *INSERTGENERICTITLE*

United States
    Damn, is Wi-Fi battles in Black and White really that bad? I haven't played online yet as I've been finishing up HeartGold.

6. Dr.Aqua

Member Dr.Aqua GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yep Its horrible

7. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    NO way to edit the stats and NO way to stop them. I know, I hat them too, especially the trolling asshole [censored]s who insist on taking the full hour limit for the match, only to struggle to their last 1 HP focus banded asshole to drop out at that point before I finish their ass.

I NEVER understood why Starfox Command was the only game ever to keep track of dropouts... WTF.

Protip: if their pokemon are not all level 50 (unless it's an endure team, lv 1) they are NOT going to win, they are probably a noob who doesn't realize random battles are 50and+ and they WILL drop out.

Protip 2: See a Breloom? DON'T EVEN start the match.

Protip 3: try going to Smogon, or another cometitive battling site to get matches against non-assholes.

Protip 4: let's play sometime. I wanna play honorable players like you. [​IMG] My FC can be found on my FC database, if you wanna play shoot me a PM.

8. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    Unfortunately there's no way to stop it.
    They just don't want the loss to go on their profile.

9. lordrand11

Member lordrand11 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would say laugh derisively at them. But douche bags are gonna be douche bags.

10. The_Dark_Knight
    OP

United States
    And I'm not even battling on the ranked matches anymore! For the last three days I switched over to Free battles because I thought those people wouldn't rage quit since THERE IS NO DOWNSIDE TO TAKING A LOSS. No one can even see your loss total and there is no overall score to be affected!!!!

I don't understand these people!! Arghh!! I'm so full of rage non-quitting!!

Schlupi - I'll definitely take you up on that battle offer someday. But for the immediate future I wanna try to figure out a more general solution - like finding a good forum for battling.

Sadly, I've tried that before and it's just as much of a pain. It's never just general battling. It's always set up by one guy who tailors the rules in some annoying way (that usually benefit his team the most!).

What we really need is a CHAT ROOM where people can just pop in and go "who wants to do _____ battle?" and then a bunch of people spit out their FCs and, to quote Pit, the fight is on!

The forum route is just too slow and clunky.... it's always like:
    "who wants to do _____ battle?"
    *wait an hour*
    "are legendaries allowed?"
    *randomly check the forum*
    "sure, why not"
    "ok, let's play!"
    "cool, what's your FC?"
    *two days later*
    "5555-5555-5555"
    "ok, well, I'm leaving for Cambodia tomorrow so PM me if you're free right now"
    "sorry, I'm at my sister's dance recital all day.... let me know when you get back!"
    *two years later*
    "I'm back. I was taken hostage by Combodian rebels and forced to build car engines out of elephant tusks. I escaped by hiding in the carcass of a dead elephant for a week until an American tourist group landed near by and brought me back home ... wanna battle?"
    "rofl, that sux, dude! sorry tho, I don't play pkmn anymore... I'm all YuGiOh now. laterz!"

.... happens every time, am I right? =P

11. Schlupi

United States
    I ALWAYS have played free battles. Those bastards still drop out ll the time...

Trolls... I HATE THEM

12. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    It would seem to me that this would be an issue for the developer to deal with, not the gamer. A rage-quitter should have a separate "category of shame" that would denote them as the rage-quitter they are. Maybe even penalize their wins if they rage-quit like that. Or maybe some other method of demeaning them for their unfair actions. At any rate, some way to deter people from doing things like that. Maybe a DNF (did not finish) category, so you could spot people like that.

13. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Lots of games don't do it because there's also accidental, and they don't want to be seen as a rage-quitter if their net is bad or their battery is shit and keeps dying.

Though there's obviously a difference between dropping out 3 times total, and having dropped out 50...

14. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States

Hmm...good point. I didn't consider that. I don't play games online, so I'm not really all that knowledgeable on the subject. But still, a DNF category could still denote a person with those tendencies to drop out of a game, whether it be because of a crappy ISP or rage-quitting.

15. Schlupi

United States
    Regardless of whether it's low interwbz count or intentional, yu don't wannabe battling them anyways. >_>

16. Bassdark25

Newcomer Bassdark25 Member

United States
    They should have done it similar to Megaman Star Force 3. I though it would be similar, but they left two things that would punish rage quiters: DCs on their profile, and "would you like to battle X trainer?" option. Also something clever the Megaman crew did was make the game tell either you had a unintentional DC (wi-fi shut down, I dunno) or you just turned off your game off.

But that just that game... Pokemon didn't at least have a number of DCs on the profile so we can at least know if it's worth the time battling.

17. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    I have a solution: Stop winning.
    You get a full match and other people get the stats, everyone wins.

18. TheDarkSeed

Member TheDarkSeed I'm a pretentious sack of shit

United States
    Let's explore the reason rage quitters quit.
    Here are some theories of mine:

-when they are getting badly beaten, they feel no reason to continue battling and "leave the battle".

-when an opponents sweeper is at sweeping potential(calm mind, drag. dance, etc.).

-(my favorite) shuckle trolls.

-serene grace, kings rock & iron head. and things of that nature.

-opposing team has ubers.

-a stalemate reaching an upwards of 50 turns.

If you don't do any of these things. Then you've got yourself an asshole.

Solution:
    When I feel I'm badly beating an opponent, I start to attack my own pokemon...just ehough so that I still have a chance at winning -_-. I think of it as a handicap.

19. leeday100196

Member leeday100196 GBAtemp's Official Infernape™

Australia
    Happens in every match im in basically. Makes me so mad i want to troll. Oh well, there's always stuff like Black Ops to play, though noobs still rage quit there too.

My best strategy to counter rage quitting is to try and do nothing each turn, like switching to a pokemon that you KNOW will get hammered by the next attaack. It makes the ragers so happy to watch your pokemon suffer.

20. 10_0ARMY

Member 10_0ARMY THE *Original* 1 Man Army

United States
    Protip 2: Why not? I'm no hardcore pokemon competitor, but what's so special about him?

Also I hate rage quitters when they are losing, but have you ever though the connection may have dropped? It be nice if all games gave a loss for rage quiting...so quitters can LOSE!