Homebrew Could a port of Zelda: OoT be possible?

Angelus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How many will know, recently they were able to decompile the source code of Zelda OoT from N64, so my question for you would be, is a port for the NDS / NDSi viable? I mean, without a doubt it would be great and it would be a watershed for future projects, but taking into account limitations and so on, do you think it could work?

Reactions: banjo2

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Possible. Newer games, contemporary games (games from the same system) and more potent games have been ported already/some years ago.

Likely to happen? Even in the DS heyday when there were lots of devs looking to push the limits it would have been unlikely -- this is far from a simple tweak a few controls and press compile setup and you are going to have to optimise, maybe make some artistic decisions on what to reduce in quality, the code is not the nicest code to work with that I have ever seen and has a few leanings towards what the N64 was good at (which the DS is a different beast). Add onto that the legally dubious nature of the code and that DS homebrew has kind of been dead since IOS and then android hit then chances slip further.

The DSi, which is a notably more powerful system, drifts further into the compile with a few tweaks territory (see some of the moves made for Mario 64) but you also get to ask how many DSi users there are as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Why do that when they make bogus accounts