CoroCoro Reveals new Gen 6 Pokemon

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It also depends on the environment where one is raised. I remember when I was a kid all the way back when, Pokemon Red and blue were seriously the greatest thing. EVERYONE had one where I lived, and it was really easy to just slip in and join the fun. As it's stuck with me since the original series, it just kinda grows on you to the point where it was kind of hard to shrug off. Even in college, I know a ton of social people who still play this game for fun and competitively. And geez, the competitive networks are insane, they have strategies that are so crazy it's almost unbelievable. It's like who has the time to think of these things LOL!

I actually feel like this game is going to be fantastic. I was personally disappointed by Gen IV and V, don't get me wrong they stand as good games, but it just doesn't have that wonder that the first three generations had. I saw the initial trailers and all that, and it just was clear that this seemed to be promising!

Gahars and I both grew up in the Pokemania craze (I being born in 1993, him being 1994) and I was fucking obsessed, but I'm a levelheaded individual and see the games for what they are.

If your argument is "Well it's nostalgia that makes Pokemon good" then your argument is REALLY flimsy. Like nostalgia is just yourself inflating bad things so they seem good because you're afraid it'll hit you straight in the childhood if you don't.

Reactions: Deleted User

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
To be fair I'm sure we've all played Pokemon here. I've played like almost every release through and through (except Black/White 2, I got a little more than halfway there but never finished it) and people still try to tell me I don't "understand" when I criticize Pokemon for valid reasons.
Okay? Well I don't know what your reasons are, this wasn't about you anyway. But, if you want to talk about it we can LOL. Gahars decided to remark sarcastically at the game's depth (or lack of depth according to him?) so I provided my reasoning behind why I felt he was just being closed minded and biased. That's pretty much it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay? Well I don't know what your reasons are, this wasn't about you anyway. But, if you want to talk about it we can LOL. Gahars decided to remark sarcastically at the game's depth (or lack of depth according to him?) so I provided my reasoning behind why I felt he was just being closed minded and biased. That's pretty much it.

He's neither of those things but okay man if that makes you feel better.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't mess with the Pokemon fanbase. These are people who will flip their shiz if you say one wrong word about the franchise.

Its a fantastic series, but its not perfect. No series is, and no series ever will be. It can always be better. And fans will always be somewhat disappointed that what they want hasn't been implemented yet, but slowly with each generation some of the fan wants will be addressed and added, unfortunately all the time between generations, only generates more wants than will be implemented in the next generation. And thus you can see how its a self sustaining model of a video game series. Its no wonder the series is so popular still well over 15 years since first being released.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're entitled to your opinion.

Pretty sure I'm entitled to knowing him rather well as opposed to expanding an obviously joking comment into an entire personal branding.

Like I'm gonna say pretty flat out I know him more than you and I do find it rather shitty that you'd say he's "close minded" because of Pokemon.

Reactions: Gahars

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Why do people keep labeling bad concepts or ideas as "complex"? The inclusion of EV/IVs, RNG, etc. have only detracted Pokemon from what I've seen. It's only lead to increased cheating and bickering among Pokemon fans.
Well, again, good/bad is subjective, either way it is complex, and I agree it probably does encourage cheating, I'm really curious about the new title coming out in Oct though, if no cheats exist then you have more reason to rely on friends instead of cheats which is probably what Gamefreak intended to begin with TBH...

Comforter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gahars and I both grew up in the Pokemania craze (I being born in 1993, him being 1994) and I was fucking obsessed, but I'm a levelheaded individual and see the games for what they are.

If your argument is "Well it's nostalgia that makes Pokemon good" then your argument is REALLY flimsy. Like nostalgia is just yourself inflating bad things so they seem good because you're afraid it'll hit you straight in the childhood if you don't.

Likewise good sir. And haha, nostalgia goggling is actually not my argumentative basis, believe it or not. It's (the Pokemon franchise) a very strange conversation opener too. I know, I have some very odd friends at that, but that's my own business right there. I can rail and mock aspects about it for hours, I'm a pretty big nut about it, but I don't try to reveal too much of that in public. ;) I personally want to get away from the home environment, due to some rather tense conflict, and playing these games was oddly like my way of reconciling a bit. Kinda hard to explain, hope I don't sound like some goofball. :D

Why do people keep labeling bad concepts or ideas as "complex"? The inclusion of EV/IVs, RNG, etc. have only detracted Pokemon from what I've seen. It's only lead to increased cheating and bickering among Pokemon fans.

The only problem I have with that is the absolutely dull and repetitive nature of legitimately raising a team. It took me some 200 hours of mindless zubat razing and whatnot to get a decent fucking team. And by decent, I mean competitively legal. I think on the Gen V games, I've clocked some 652 hours into it, because the reward for me pays off. O_O

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally want to get away from the home environment, due to some rather tense conflict, and playing these games was oddly like my way of reconciling a bit. Kinda hard to explain, hope I don't sound like some goofball. :D

No, of course not. Despite what some seem to believe, I have nothing against the Pokemon games. They can definitely be fun, and they're a great way to kill time. As far as easy to play handheld RPGs go, the series is tough to beat.

Just because I've enjoyed the time with the series, though, doesn't mean I'll overlook its faults or pretend it's something it isn't. That's all it comes down to, really.

Reactions: Deleted User

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Pretty sure I'm entitled to knowing him rather well as opposed to expanding an obviously joking comment into an entire personal branding.

Like I'm gonna say pretty flat out I know him more than you and I do find it rather shitty that you'd say he's "close minded" because of Pokemon.
Well I say that because it seems as if you're acting like what I'm saying is a sweeping generalization. We're talking about pokemon here, a subject I don't really feel he knows enough about to judge accordingly, no need to get butthurt turning a molehill into a mountain, again I think you're reading too far into what I'm saying, because you're right, I don't know him, so I'm going by what he's said so far on the subject. Jeez.

Comforter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Absolutely man, I totally see where you're coming from. I'm only a few years older than ya, but from my area, oh geez, people will freaking FIGHT about this franchise, it's absolutely ridiculous! As far as time killers, it's absolutely fun. I don't have a TV where I'm situated at, and my dinner location is absolutely horrendous as my caretaker watches his own strange stuff, so it's basically me in the dining room, playing the games from scratch to kill time. :D Don't even get me started on road trips. All I will say is that I have fun ways to make a Pokemon journey intense. :) Me and my brother do some truly mystifying things LOL.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I say that because it seems as if you're acting like what I'm saying is a sweeping generalization. We're talking about pokemon here, a subject I don't really feel he knows enough about to judge accordingly, no need to get butthurt turning a molehill into a mountain, again I think you're reading too far into what I'm saying, because you're right, I don't know him, so I'm going by what he's said so far on the subject. Jeez.

I'm getting annoyed because you're calling someone "close minded" with your justification being a video game. Also in general I see the "oh you don't just know Pokemon like I do!" argument far too often and it's bullshit.

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm getting annoyed because you're calling someone "close minded" with your justification being a video game. Also in general I see the "oh you don't just know Pokemon like I do!" argument far too often and it's bullshit.
Okay, well, be annoyed, I honestly don't care. :) I already explained my side and you're turning us both into broken records now. From what he let on he didn't seem to know how the game has changed over time. The old adage "don't knock it till you try it" applies here and I don't think it's "bullshit" but again, that's just your opinion, man.

Comforter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Hmm. I don't want to rain on your parade, nor look like I'm smashing your toes.

No offense, man, but that argument is pretty invalid. I will promise you right now that any argument where you "feel" something will not be valid in any case. Arguments on intuition hold up rather poorly, and I would know because 1) I've been there myself and 2) I'm in a class about these kinds of things right now, fascinating shit by the way. :D

The way that argument was presented lost you a lot of credibility points. :( Unless you've got proof that Guild's said something completely and blatantly stupid and wrong regarding the issue, his argument will actually stand over yours, whether you like it or not. :/

Again, I have nothing against you! But for what it's worth... I've always wanted to be able to do something like that and use my class stuff to debunk an argument. :3

DiabloStorm

Anti-Semantic Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Hmm. I don't want to rain on your parade, nor look like I'm smashing your toes.

No offense, man, but that argument is pretty invalid. I will promise you right now that any argument where you "feel" something will not be valid in any case. Arguments on intuition hold up rather poorly, and I would know because 1) I've been there myself and 2) I'm in a class about these kinds of things right now, fascinating shit by the way. :D

The way that argument was presented lost you a lot of credibility points. :( Unless you've got proof that Guild's said something completely and blatantly stupid and wrong regarding the issue, his argument will actually stand over yours, whether you like it or not. :/

Again, I have nothing against you! But for what it's worth... I've always wanted to be able to do something like that and use my class stuff to debunk an argument. :3
Geez, this is turning into another semantics argument (where's Rydian?) There was nothing intuitive about it, my responses were based off of exactly what he said at the time.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    sorabora tempBOT: sorabora has joined the room.