ROM Hack Convert .smd and .swd to midi?

Espeon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've used Tinke to extract some music files from a .nds file. I'm trying to turn them into midi files via converting or ripping. Are there any (preferably free) programs to turn one or the other into midi? I know that .swd is smilar to a midi file. Any help or pointers appreciated.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Out of curiosity what games are they? They may have already been ripped or extracted.

To the best of my knowledge ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-various-audio-formats-of-the-ds.305167/ ) there is no simple ripper like there is for SDAT for the smd/swd aka pb audio format. This tends to leave fiddling with the loopback options of emulators (to generate wave files no less, in case you had your heart set on tracker/sequenced for some reason).

Reactions: Espeon

Espeon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Out of curiosity what games are they? They may have already been ripped or extracted.

To the best of my knowledge ( http://gbatemp.net/threads/the-various-audio-formats-of-the-ds.305167/ ) there is no simple ripper like there is for SDAT for the smd/swd aka pb audio format. This tends to leave fiddling with the loopback options of emulators (to generate wave files no less, in case you had your heart set on tracker/sequenced for some reason).

The game is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. I've checked around, but no one has successfully ripped music from this game. Every one who has a midi from it made it themselves by ear - something I just can't do.
I have tried extracting .sdat, but I haven't been able to turn that into midi on the VGMTrans program that I tried.

psy_commando

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been working on reversing stuff from that game for a while now, and I've taken a look at the music files you're talking about as well.

Honestly, its very similar to the midi file structure from a quick glance. It even uses similar keywords for tracks and etc.
I doubt it would be all that difficult to reverse the format and turn it into a regular midi. I just think that not many popular games uses that format, and thus tools for it are basically non-existent.

However, I do plan to work on a converter for those in the future, eventually. But, for now I'm prioritizing sprite extraction/replacement first and I'm still stuck trying to figure out the PKDPX format and its possible compression(which I still have no real lead on..).

I'm guessing you're not a programmer Espeon, but if anyone wants to take on making a converter for those swd and etc, files, I'd be glad to lend a hand !

So if you ever stumble on someone that's working on some form of converter, or looking to, it might help speed things up ! Well, actually, if I could figure out that darn PKDPX thing, I'd probably have begun working on the music files by now XD

Espeon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
However, I do plan to work on a converter for those in the future, eventually. But, for now I'm prioritizing sprite extraction/replacement first and I'm still stuck trying to figure out the PKDPX format and its possible compression(which I still have no real lead on..).

I'm guessing you're not a programmer Espeon, but if anyone wants to take on making a converter for those swd and etc, files, I'd be glad to lend a hand !

So if you ever stumble on someone that's working on some form of converter, or looking to, it might help speed things up ! Well, actually, if I could figure out that darn PKDPX thing, I'd probably have begun working on the music files by now XD

It would help immensely if you made a converter for those file types in the future (no pressure!). I appreciate your help on this. I guess I'll look into some more file types and similar for now :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34