Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sorry guys, there are three reasons why there are no upcoming Console Wars so-far:
  1. Not much going on. The PS4 was announced, the XBox 720 is in the works but all we have is speculation, the WiiU and the PSVita are still both bombing big time.
  2. My lass was here for 2 weeks and I had better things to do than to entertain others. ;)
  3. Bought a PS3 with her, so... Yeah. Games. :D
There are stories brewing though, just no time to put them on cyber paper. Stay tuned, the series are far from over. ;)

delta12

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
i just spent almost an hour to read this topic from page one. Some of it made me lol. It was bad also at the same time it was good? well, can't say my true feeling in English, i enjoy it.
Thanks, looking forward for next episodes.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
935275_583046088395945_340962195_n.jpg
You know what that means...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Facts and data can't compete with feels and muh nostalgia.

Welcome to the internet.
I don't deny the fact that the console may have posted a profit, however small, I just want to see evidence of it. If there was a profit, I don't believe it was in any way significant to the company when the system just didn't sell.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't deny the fact that the console may have posted a profit, however small, I just want to see evidence of it as I find its possible profit margin to be in no way significant to the company when the system just didn't sell.

You're wrong. I played with an N64 growing up. That means it was a success, and everyone bought one, and it had all the games. Your facts can't change the reality I've constructed for myself.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
>Sees new console wars and laughs

>Looks one post down and sees Foxi trying to drag an off shore bullshit-barge inabout the N64

34712339.jpg
Oh, I'm sorry that I don't live in Nintendo Land circa 1998 where having no games is better than having loads of games and selling less units is being more popular. One has to be able to look at a system critically, it's all a matter of a simple reality check and if nostalgia clouds people's reasonable judgement then they can't call themselves unbias.

It's funny how the people whom I talked with yesterday clung to the "but it didn't bring a loss" argument when that should be the least of our worries - we're gamers, not economists or stock market players, all we care about are the games and whether we have someone to play them with, the profit margin for the company itself is completely irrelevant.

I only mentioned the fact that it was outsold 3 to 1 to underline how popular the PlayStation was in comparison, the N64 had 5 times less games which represents developer interest. Eerpow did show some nice figures from 2003 when the N64 was discontinued that showed that the difference in sold units wasn't as big as by the end of PlayStation's lifecycle in 2006 but it was still huge - there were more PlayStation owners, more PlayStation games and the PlayStation left that generation undisputably victorious, end of.

If being a level-headed individual who can compare two numbers and say which one is bigger makes me uncool then so be it.

Reactions: Gahars and Castiel
D

Deleted_171835

Oh, I'm sorry that I don't live in Sony Land where having no games is better than having loads of games and selling less units is being more popular. One has to be able to look at a system critically, it's all a matter of a simple reality check and if nostalgia clouds people's reasonable judgement then they can't call themselves unbias.

It's funny how the people whom I talked with yesterday clung to the "but it didn't bring a loss" argument when that should be the least of our worries - we're gamers, not economists or stock market players, all we care about are the games and whether we have someone to play them with, the profit margin for the company itself is completely irrelevant.

I only mentioned the fact that it was outsold 2 to 1 to underline how popular the Nintendo DS was in comparison, the PSP had 495 less games which represents developer interest. The difference in sold units was still huge - there were more DS owners, more DS games and the DS left that generation undisputably victorious, end of.

If being a level-headed individual who can compare two numbers and say which one is bigger makes me uncool then so be it.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh, I'm sorry that I don't live in Sony Land where having no games is better than having loads of games and selling less units is being more popular. One has to be able to look at a system critically, it's all a matter of a simple reality check and if nostalgia clouds people's reasonable judgement then they can't call themselves unbias.

I only mentioned the fact that it was outsold 2 to 1 to underline how popular the Nintendo DS was in comparison, the PSP had 495 less games which represents developer interest. The difference in sold units was still huge - there were more DS owners, more DS games and the DS left that generation undisputably victorious, end of.

Funny, well played. Here's my answer:

That's all entirely true - the PSP lost in the competition againts the DS. Now, a 2:1 ratio isn't as crushing as a 3:1 one, but that's besides the point - the sales are not the core factor. 387 games, only 303 of which were available for western gamers (here Europe was shafted the most - out of the 387 titles 84 are exclusive to Japan, 50 to the Americas and only 4 to Europe. This means that European gamers only ever got to play 253 games) is where Nintendo 64's core problem was.

As I said in the EA thread, I'm a strong supporter of having a variety of titles to choose from - the N64 lacks this variety. The same 30-40 titles are repeated over and over by everyone and the rest faded into nothingness or was multiplatform with superior releases on PC or other consoles (Resident Evil, Quake, Quake 2, Starcraft and so on).

With the DS versus PSP situation you don't have that problem - the PSP had 497 games less than the DS (which has 1297 titles as of November 2012, I don't have data more accurate than what Wikipedia tells me), yes, but it wasn't five times less. There's 802 titles available for the PSP plus numerous PSN Minis.

You have to look at the ratio here - 387 to 2418 is not exactly like 802 to 1297, is it now? The PSP versus DS ratio in terms of game library size without counting the PSN Minis is 1 to 1,6 - PS1 to N64 is 1 to 6,24 - that's a drastically different situation.

I've made some more accurate calculations rather than just looking at the numbers without counting, the ratio was actually even worse than 1:5 - it was 1:6.

(1297/802 = 1,61(...) - meaning for 1 PSP game you have 1,61 DS games)
(2418/387 = 6,24(...) - meaning for 1 Nintendo 64 game you have 6,24 PlayStation games)

Now for the conclusion - the 6:1 game ratio and the 3:1 sales ratio in favour of the PS1 (which directly translates to a 3 times smaller userbase), well-known, inheritent problems with development for the system and badly chosen storage medium all amount to me giving it a negative review - it's as simple as that.

I can say so with a clear conscience as I don't have any emotional attachment neither to the PlayStation nor the Nintendo 64 - at the time of their release I had neither, I was a proud member of the PC Master Race.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What makes you uncool is you bought the arguement here.

I couldnt give less of a shit about the N64, the only games I ever played on mine were Mario Party, OoT, MM. Nothing else interested me (other then Megaman 64, but Legends 2 was better.) if anything I agree with you. Whats pissing me off is that the whole fucking 5 page argument had little to nothing to do with the news, and on top of that you feel the need to pull it over to another front, where you can get more support for no fucking reason.

When you become an individual who knows where the stupid arguments end and the funny shit begins, then call yourself level-headed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: