• Total voters

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is fat32 that much better than wbfs? I want the extra space, but if it doesn't work, then I might as well stick with wbfs. If I decided to switch over though, how would I keep my games on the drive? I'm using USB loader gx right now. Thanks. And I also heard fat32 can't support files larger than 4 gb, so how would I play smash bros brawl?

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure what you mean by "extra space", since the amount of space occupied is the same. I'd go with FAT32, since FAT32 lets you store other files and doesn't require third-party software to browse.

Playing all Wii games on a FAT32 volume requires a different type of file. You need a program that converts ISOs to .wbfs files, such as wbfs_file (command-line tool).

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "extra space", since the amount of space occupied is the same. I'd go with FAT32, since FAT32 lets you store other files and doesn't require third-party software to browse.

Playing all Wii games on a FAT32 volume requires a different type of file. You need a program that converts ISOs to .wbfs files, such as wbfs_file (command-line tool).

Can anyone give me a guide on how to do all this stuff? Also:
So ISOs don't work?
And how do I get smash bros to fit?

Thanks a bunch.

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I converted my 1TB drive from wbfs to fat32 because i hit the 500 game limit on wbfs.

When i copied all the games over from wbfs to fat32 the amount of space used went down 20GB because something to do with sector sizes or something like that.I'm not exactly sure why but im sure someone else would explain what im talking about a little better.

Also smash bros will work on fat32.It will take the iso and split it into smaller files of 2GB in size of 4GB in size depending on what program you use to transfer the iso to your hard drive.I use wii backup manager and there is an option in the settings menu to pick the size of the file split.So far everything from fat32 is working great for me.
I'm just waiting for wiiflow to release a new stable release that fixes some of the issues it has with fat32 support.Until then i will be using GX or configurable as my loader.

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I suppose you should take a look at a GUI program, such as WiiJManager or Wii Game Manager. Navigating an interface is easier than trying to pick up the syntax for the CLI tool.
wink.gif

Programs that can handle .wbfs files will scrub the Brawl image, and then split it into multiple files. Splitting the file gets around FAT32's file size limit, so it can be placed on the volume.

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, now I got a huge problem. None of my games will load besides New Super Mario Bros Wii. I tried both USB Loader GX and Configurable USB Loader. So I am definitely switching to FAT32. Now I'm extracting. Hopefully this doesn't happen on FAT32.

The funny thing is, the drive started out as FAT32. I changed it to 2 partitions of WBFS and NTFS because I read a guide tellling me to do that. Oh well, back to the beginning I guess...

icebrg5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You could be using a bugged copy of gx and thats whats causing the games not to load.Configurable loader should be fine though as its not buggy.

Or you may have accidentally changed some setting in the global config thats causing them not to load. Try deleting your config files and trying to load them again.

joelozy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
icpmattj said:
You could be using a bugged copy of gx and thats whats causing the games not to load.Configurable loader should be fine though as its not buggy.

Or you may have accidentally changed some setting in the global config thats causing them not to load. Try deleting your config files and trying to load them again.

I'm going to make the switch to FAT32 first, then I'll change the settings. Plus the poll is 69% in favor of changing so I'm doing it. Only 5 hr 42 min 39 sec left until the full format is complete using GUIFormat.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
quickformat rulez - needs seconds instead on hours
a modern drive with defect sectors visible to the os is dying soon anyway

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users