Hacking Configurable USB Loader

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
kamiro04 said:
My suggestion is: if the game title is longer than one line, can it be splitted by word and not by letter?
Sorry if I posted this here and it's not its place, should I post it in the issues section of the proyect in google code as a suggestion?
That's fine, i added it to my todo but it's rather low priority.

overjet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
if i use config.txt the cfg usb loader doesn't work because doesn't detect the hardisk.

If i use only settings.cfg the loader works but it doesn't find the cover

overjet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
i have found the problem.

When cfg usb loader starts it starts with cios 249.

I have installed cios 249 rev 21.

The configuration is:

247 base 56

248 base 57

249 base 58

250 base 37

When it starts it uses cios 249 so base 58 if i select 247 or 248 or 250 works correctly.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
overjet said:
249 base 58
When it starts it uses cios 249 so base 58 if i select 247 or 248 or 250 works correctly.
base 58 has a different (native) usb2 driver than all other bases.
If it doesn't work for you, i'd recommend installing some other base into slot 249 like base 56 or something

XICO2KX

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
oggzee said:
Interesting, thanks for testing.
Are you using background music play in cfg with a mp3 on hdd?
That would explain why it would keep on reading from it...
Nope, I'm not using any music!
rolleyes.gif

Could that have anything to do with that timer that appears at startup when we don't have any USB drive connected to the Wii?
huh.gif

QUOTE(oggzee @ Jan 18 2011, 08:02 AM) EDIT:
btw, which cios are you using?
Does it make a difference if you use the standard cfg64.dol with wanin cios 249 or cfg64-222.dol with hermes cios 222...

About libogc, i doubt that's the problem, the loaders that use a cios don't use the usb storage routines in libogc but implement their own. But maybe libogc is the solution, however that would mean that before a shutdown we would need to reload ios to a standard one, init libogc and then shutdown it, it might be worth a try but sounds a bit complicated.
I was using Waninkoko's cIOSX rev21 [Base:56,Slot:249]!
tongue.gif

I just finished testing cfg64-222.dol with Hermes' cIOS v5.1 [Base:38,Slot:222] and it produces the exact same results:
  • blinks every 20 seconds
  • sound when less than 15s
  • no sound when more than 15s
closedeyes.gif

The same problem happens with WiiMC, so I think I'll post a bug report to see if they come up with some solution!
cool.gif

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
XICO2KX said:
rolleyes.gif

Could that have anything to do with that timer that appears at startup when we don't have any USB drive connected to the Wii?
huh.gif

No, that timer is only used at startup it doesn't have anything to do after that.

QUOTE(XICO2KX @ Jan 18 2011, 02:33 PM) I was using Waninkoko's cIOSX rev21 [Base:56,Slot:249]!
tongue.gif

I just finished testing cfg64-222.dol with Hermes' cIOS v5.1 [Base:38,Slot:222] and it produces the exact same results:
closedeyes.gif

The same problem happens with WiiMC, so I think I'll post a bug report to see if they come up with some solution!
cool.gif
I have checked waninkoko ehci module (USB2 driver)
And it has a "watchdog" that reads from the hdd every 10 seconds, I believe this is intended to keep the hdd from going to sleep.
If you want look at loop.c for:
#define WATCHDOG_TIMER (1000 * 1000 * 10)
__EHCI_Watchdog(void)
I believe hermes cios has a similar thing.

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
oggzee said:
overjet said:
249 base 58
base 58 has a different (native) usb2 driver than all other bases.
If it doesn't work for you, i'd recommend installing some other base into slot 249 like base 56 or something

I have that exact problem with rev21 base58 in one of my newer wii's. My older wii does not have this problem whatsoever.

digdug3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
oggzee said:
XICO2KX said:
rolleyes.gif

huh.gif

No, that timer is only used at startup it doesn't have anything to do after that.

QUOTE(XICO2KX @ Jan 18 2011, 02:33 PM) I was using Waninkoko's cIOSX rev21 [Base:56,Slot:249]!
tongue.gif

closedeyes.gif

cool.gif
I have checked waninkoko ehci module (USB2 driver)
And it has a "watchdog" that reads from the hdd every 10 seconds, I believe this is intended to keep the hdd from going to sleep.
If you want look at loop.c for:
#define WATCHDOG_TIMER (1000 * 1000 * 10)
__EHCI_Watchdog(void)
I believe hermes cios has a similar thing.

I have the same problem. Harddisk not spinning down.
The only solution would be loading another IOS before shutting down? Maybe you could make it optional?

netspy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
x4mer said:
Oggzee,

In the rev20 has lags thread http://gbatemp.net/t263019-waninkoko-s-cio...with-ios56-base, and the rev21 released thread http://gbatemp.net/t271050-custom-iosx-rev21-released?, people are discussing problems with lag and controller dropouts using Wanin rev20 or higher with any base.

One person said they had 2 Buffalo station 320G drives, with one FAT and the other WBFS. Using a Wii with rev20base56, no problems were encountered using the wbfs drive, while the FAT drive suffered from the lags/dropouts. He has since formatted the wbfs drive to FAT, to test, and it now suffers the same problem.

Due to this difference, and the fact that only Wanin releases using external FAT support have the problem, I'm wondering whether it's possible that the problem lies in (or can be circumvented in) the frag modules of cfgUSB.

The quickest way to test it, is with the Wario Shake It game. Load the game to the screen where you select your save game, and just let it sit there. The hard drive will blink every 8-10 secs. This HDD activity will be synchronous with a message flashing onscreen for an instant saying that communication with the remote has been lost. Most games don't show an error, but it causes problems like constantly missed notes (every 10 secs) in RB3.

QUOTE(oggzee @ Jan 18 2011, 03:53 PM) I have checked waninkoko ehci module (USB2 driver)

Maybe I'm a bit off-topic, but do you think it could be a good reason for the controller lag problem ? Thanks in advance for your answer.

Jabe

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi!

Thanks for this great 64 version.

I have some suggestion for Configurator.

Is it possible to add to functionnality to search automatically for config.txt, themes files, and covers folders based on ../ upfolder.

Let me explain why…

When I launch CfgLoaderConfigurator.exe from SD:\usb-loader it already does this automatically.

But because of all translation files I store CfgLoaderConfigurator.exe inside some subfolder called CfgLoaderConfiguratorv64Fr.

And because I'm doing this, when I'm launching it, if I use cover wizard it doesn't find cover folders, and so on for config.txt files, etc.

I don't know if my problem seems clear, let me know if not.

kamiro04

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
oggzee said:
kamiro04 said:
My suggestion is: if the game title is longer than one line, can it be splitted by word and not by letter?
Sorry if I posted this here and it's not its place, should I post it in the issues section of the proyect in google code as a suggestion?
That's fine, i added it to my todo but it's rather low priority.
Ok, thank you!

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
digdug3 said:
The only solution would be loading another IOS before shutting down? Maybe you could make it optional?
I think it would need ios reload and some kind of delay as well.
I would like to avoid complicating this further.
You can achieve the same by exiting to HBC and shutting down there.
It's just one button more: home + off.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
netspy said:
x4mer said:
In the rev20 has lags thread http://gbatemp.net/t263019-waninkoko-s-cio...with-ios56-base, and the rev21 released thread http://gbatemp.net/t271050-custom-iosx-rev21-released?, people are discussing problems with lag and controller dropouts using Wanin rev20 or higher with any base.
The quickest way to test it, is with the Wario Shake It game. Load the game to the screen where you select your save game, and just let it sit there. The hard drive will blink every 8-10 secs. This HDD activity will be synchronous with a message flashing onscreen for an instant saying that communication with the remote has been lost. Most games don't show an error, but it causes problems like constantly missed notes (every 10 secs) in RB3.

QUOTE(oggzee @ Jan 18 2011, 03:53 PM) I have checked waninkoko ehci module (USB2 driver)
Maybe I'm a bit off-topic, but do you think it could be a good reason for the controller lag problem ? Thanks in advance for your answer.
You're right that is probably the reason.

digdug3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
oggzee said:
digdug3 said:
I think it would need ios reload and some kind of delay as well.
I would like to avoid complicating this further.
You can achieve the same by exiting to HBC and shutting down there.
It's just one button more: home + off.

I agree. Thanks for the great loader!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @The Real Jdbye @SylverReZ @Xdqwerty :creep: +1