Hacking Configurable USB Loader

Wizard1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
xflak40 said:
to play backup disks via the disk channel, u need to install cioscorp (v3.6), but if ur already using a Hard drive there isn't much point to doing this (cioscorp is a little risky as it replaces almost all of the main ios' used by the wii)

So are you saying because I loaded IOS222 and 223 disk channel wont work any more? Im just trying to understand what's happening behind the scenes. Or does it have anything to do with the WADs i installed?

Everything was working perfectly fine until that day I did all the changes.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
no, this has nothing to do with cios 222 and 223

the disk channel uses ios' under 70 to run games, and different games may run under different IOSs. So cioscorp v3.6 will install custom ios' (only in SOME slots under IOS70), so when u go to launch games from this disk channel (backups or originals) a custom IOS is used.

Neogamma already uses cios249, so it does not require the use of cioscorp to run backups

EDIT: what do u mean everything was working perfectly fine until changes? what stopped working? u should never have been able to play backups through the disk channel unless u already had cioscorp installed

Wizard1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wizard1 said:
xflak40 said:
to play backup disks via the disk channel, u need to install cioscorp (v3.6), but if ur already using a Hard drive there isn't much point to doing this (cioscorp is a little risky as it replaces almost all of the main ios' used by the wii)

So are you saying because I loaded IOS222 and 223 disk channel wont work any more? Im just trying to understand what's happening behind the scenes. Or does it have anything to do with the WADs i installed?

Everything was working perfectly fine until that day I did all the changes.

QUOTE(xflak40 @ Jan 2 2010, 11:45 AM)
no, this has nothing to do with cios 222 and 223

the disk channel uses ios' under 70 to run games, and different games may run under different IOSs. So cioscorp v3.6 will install custom ios' (only in SOME slots under IOS70), so when u go to launch games from this disk channel (backups or originals) a custom IOS is used.

Neogamma already uses cios249, so it does not require the use of cioscorp to run backups

EDIT: what do u mean everything was working perfectly fine until changes? what stopped working? u should never have been able to play backups through the disk channel unless u already had cioscorp installed

Oh oops I forgot to mention Im running Wiikey 1 under the hood. That's why its wierd that none of my backups show up in Disc Channel.

Could there be some wierd interaction going on between NeoGamma, Customizable USB-Loader and my Wiikey?

T

TheGlow

Vegeta said:
zx3junglist said:
I'd make sure that you're using the first partition on that drive, and that it's set to use usb rather than sd. Themes will go in usb:/usb-loader/themes/theme-name/

Well, the drive was pre-formatted with NTFS when bought new and I formatted it to FAT32 under Vista x64. The drive only has one single partition.

Which program can I check just to be sure it has one partition?
If your on windows, then rightclick My Computer on the desktop, or Computer in the start menu and click Manage
then go down to Disk Management.

That will show all your drives, and then all the partitions associated with it.
Not sure what your trying to do but for me I wanted CFG to run off a fat32 while having games on ntfs. so I made the fat32 the active partition so the loader/forwarder looks for files there first, then have cfg itself set to look at the ntfs1 partition.
If you want to redo your partitions without losing stuff, youll need a program like Acronis Disk Director to resize and redo stuff.
Windows will let you convert fat32 to ntfs, but not ntfs back to fat32.
Right now im playing witha 160gb hdd and it seems more than enough. sadly wii doesnt have a whole lot going on for it.
once rawk sd has some usb support, ill get some rb instruments.

cambric

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Dear All,

I use wbfs_file 2.2 with no problem on my MacOSX computer.

I tried the new 2.6 version but it does not work... here is the error I got:

QUOTE said:
Macintosh:Bianco cambric$ ls -al
total 9179936
drwxr-xr-x 5 cambric staff 170 2 Gen 23:32 .
drwxr-xr-x 5 cambric staff 170 25 Ott 00:48 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 cambric staff 4699979776 7 Mar 2008 Bully Scholarship Edition.iso
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 cambric staff 138712 29 Dic 18:39 wbfs_file

Macintosh:Bianco cambric$ ./wbfs_file "Bully Scholarship Edition.iso"
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap

Macintosh:Bianco cambric$ ./wbfs_file "Bully Scholarship Edition.iso" scrub "Bully Scholarship Edition Scrub.iso"
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022
Trace/BPT trap

Hope to see a new MacOSX working version in the near future...

Thanks to all of you,

Cambo

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
wbfs_file 2.7-beta
wbfs_file_2.7-beta.zip
(included sources and windows binary)
Changes:

v2.7-beta:

* New command: wbfs_copy will copy a game directly from one wbfs
partition to the other
* New command: iso_info will print out some info about a wii disc
* All commands that expect a ISO as source now also accept a device
so that a DVD drive can be used directly
* Commands writing to WBFS partition or file can now be aborted
by sending ABORT to standard input

It's a beta, please test, hopefully I haven't broken anything...
linux and osx binaries should follow in a couple of days...

tonybologna

GO VOLS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oggzee said:
wbfs_file 2.7-beta
wbfs_file_2.7-beta.zip
(included sources and windows binary)
Changes:

v2.7-beta:

* New command: wbfs_copy will copy a game directly from one wbfs
partition to the other
* New command: iso_info will print out some info about a wii disc
* All commands that expect a ISO as source now also accept a device
so that a DVD drive can be used directly
* Commands writing to WBFS partition or file can now be aborted
by sending ABORT to standard input

It's a beta, please test, hopefully I haven't broken anything...
linux and osx binaries should follow in a couple of days...

Thanks a bunch!
bow.gif

DGenerateKane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm experiencing code dumps when trying to do anything wifi related. I know the root cause is my router, after refreshing the settings on it the code dumps stopped. I've tested it when intentionally disabling my wireless internet and just get the expected error message, so I don't know what exactly is causing the code dumps.

Pjetr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi, I'm having some troubles here.
I followed the GAF tutorial, and now i'm here:
I can install my games to an wbfs partition, I can see my games on the partition but, when I try to launch, I just return to my Wii menu.
But before that happens, I get the little music you would here if you go to the disc channel.
If someone could help me, that would be grand.

Sorry for the probable repost.

dottor_male

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wiiman8709 said:
Ok.. here is my problem. I am running Configurable USB loader 50. I have everything up and running through Homebrew. All covers are there and the games work perfect. I wanted to add a configurable USB channel so i don't need to go through Homebrew. When i installed the wads for this. it just resets back to the wii menu. The Wad i used was USBLoaderCFG_NForwarder-UCXF-Channel.wad. Went through WAD Manager on hombrew to do this. I have never had this happen before. I read through about 150 posts on here and either i'm not understanding correctly or i'm just clueless. Anyway. I'm using 249 with Rev. 14. Do i need to upgrade to rev 15 or 16? I had this channel working before when i upgraded from 1.5 but it didn't give me all the options that the homebrew version did. I couldn't do all the 3d views and the alt.dol option wasn't on the menu as well. Thats why i deleted the channel and tried to reinstall it and now the channel doesn't work at all. Can anybody tell me what i need to do or what i'm missing?
Thanks in advance.
I'm using that forwarder and it works. You should check the folder's name of CFG Loader.
USBLoaderCFG_NForwarder-UCXF-Channel needs a specific name (check in the forwarder's thread), and if it not find the folder, it simply return to the system menu.

sheridan2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ouch what happened...went from 49 to 50 and the whole thing justed crashed...loads of white text on a black back ground when trying to start the loader. Had to manually delete and go back to 49 to get things working again, but now cant load images of games. try to download new ones and that just aborts...........suppose im probably gonna have to fully remove this loader and start again from scratch..maybe nows the time to think about another loader...shame as things were going so well...

sheridan2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok....deleted all files on sd card including all covers and config files. downloaded v50 and loads ok now from forwarder channel.......going through the global cover download...seems to be loads of error invalid png errors coming up but will have to wait till finished to see if ive got all the covers...finished now and all covers are there so things are sorted...think ill avoid 50c online update for now as that seems to have caused the crash...

DMOSH

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bert02 said:
@DMOSH
what does it do if you load it from the homebrew channel instead of the forwarder?
have you tried the universal forwarder instead?

Sup?
smile.gif

Well, If i don't have the SD card in the slot, I have to start Homebrew twice also.(BTW HB is vrs. 1.0.6, but acted the same on the previous vrs also)
The first time the channel loads, but empty(cause there is no SD card in) then if I exit to the SM and open Homebrew again, it searches the USB right off and loads up with everything listed. After that I can click on CFG from homebrew and it will load with the 6 sec routine.

I also have USB loader GX (Rev 866c ) and it will load the first time from a cold start(13 sec.) if thats any help

I have also done some tests from a cold start that went like this

1)ON> open HB(empty)>... exit to SM>... open HB(looks and loads from USB)>... start CFG from HB>... Loads(6sec) WORKS

2)ON> open HB(empty)>... exit to SM>... open CFG from SM> ... Loads(6sec) WORKS

3)ON> open CFG from SM>... 10sec. then it resets to SM>... open CFG from SM>... Loads(6sec) WORKS

4)ON> open CFG from SM>... 10sec. then it resets to SM>... open HB(looks and loads from USB)>... WORKS

5)ON> open USB Loader GX from SM>... Loads(13 sec.) WORKS

My guess is that this is a Homebrew issue as I have to start HB twice for it to establish contact to my USB drive cause it is looking for the SD card first and is not finding it so it sets itself up to look for the USB first the next time it opens.

Another reason I thinks this is( if i got this right) when I click CFG from the SM it forwards it to look for the .dol in the Homebrew channel. If the SD card is not in the slot, there is nothing for HB to find so it sets itself up to look in the USB first when it loads next,,then resets to the SM.

Does this sound right?
Can I change where HB looks first somehow?

Or is there an all in one version of 50c that will load up an embedded vrs. 50c like ...CFG USBLoader ID - IDCL has with v48?

as far as the universal forwarder,,are you refering to this one? universal loader

If so ,,I think THAT app is an excellent idea and I actually think I would like to use it. but not exactly sure how to use it cause I'm an old guy who is new to all this,,,,but I'm learnin..
wink.gif

I did download the "Forwarder_mod_by_WiiPower_R5.zip" but I dont know jack about altering the source codes. but I did read in the readme file that it looks for the sd card so I think i would have the same issue unless it was altered to look at the USB first,,which in that case that thing would be awesome for me.

While reading the 8 pages of that thread( and making my head
wacko.gif
with all the code thrown around that I haven't a clue about but find absolutely fascinating ) I also downloaded the "Uni Loader-unil.wad" from one of the links and installed it, when I went to use it (I don't remember the exact error) but it basically told me it couldn't find anything. and I'm guessing it was looking for an SD card.

Anyway, thanks for giving me a look
smile.gif
I'm gonna keep reading.......

D.

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Pjetr said:
Hi, I'm having some troubles here.
I followed the GAF tutorial, and now i'm here:
I can install my games to an wbfs partition, I can see my games on the partition but, when I try to launch, I just return to my Wii menu.
But before that happens, I get the little music you would here if you go to the disc channel.
If someone could help me, that would be grand.

Sorry for the probable repost.
Try using IOS222 as the default IOS, if you haven't done so already. Just install it via the tutorial and add "ios=222-mload" to config.txt.

Sabin_Figaro said:
how do I change the name of a game? Formula 1 shows as Sudoku Ball Detective, tried changing the titles.txt inside sd:/apps/usbloader_cfg and nothing.
I think the one in sd:/usb-loader has priority. Change that one. Also make sure that the ID of the installed game matches the one you are changing (e.g., don't change the PAL one if you have the NTSC game). You can see the ID for the installed game on the game's options or launch pages.

QUOTE(DMOSH @ Jan 4 2010, 04:43 AM)
Well, If i don't have the SD card in the slot, I have to start Homebrew twice also.(BTW HB is vrs. 1.0.6, but acted the same on the previous vrs also)
The first time the channel loads, but empty(cause there is no SD card in) then if I exit to the SM and open Homebrew again, it searches the USB right off and loads up with everything listed. After that I can click on CFG from homebrew and it will load with the 6 sec routine.
What if you start the HBC and get the blank screen, then push 1, select USB device and OK?

It does sound like this is a problem with your drive taking too long to wake itself up. Think of it as your drive needing to crawl out of bed and make some coffee before it will respond to any external stimulus. HBC and the forwarder simply give up when trying to wake it up as it takes too long before it responds, yet they do trigger its wake up sequence so that if you manually attempt to use them before the drive has gone back to sleep, the drive will work normally.

Oh, and the "Universal Forwarder" that is mentioned is linked to in the first post of this very thread.

Luriden

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I asked this earlier in the thread and it went unanswered, then posted it in the Hacking forum which is apparently the wrong forum.

I have CIOS222 v4 installed along with rev14, trying to load an NTFS partition with Configurable USB Loader FAT edition. On boot, it gives me a -1 error saying I don't have 222 installed. Any tips?

Would switching the partition to FAT fix it? And which is better in the long run, even after I get it working? I don't want to have to go back to WBFS since I need to use this hard drive for backup store for my PC until I can upgrade my PC's hard drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro