Hacking Configurable USB Loader

newwolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey,

I have a strang problem I resized my wbfs partition with Partition Magic 8.
Then place it back on my wii and it still worked.
But when I placed it on my pc WBFS manager said NOPE don't understand it.

Who can help me with this problem?

Grz.,
Newwolf

john1010_ma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Araxiel said:
i recently got a problem.. i updated my WII to 4.2E and now Configurable USB Loader wont load the drive.. it just stops at the splash screen and then nothing happens.. im not sure what version of the usb loader i have, but i know its pretty new, since it worked on Wii 4.1.. anyone able to help?
I'm guessing you did the official 4.2 update from Nintendo? If yes You might need to get your Wii softmodded again. Follow xzxero's guide in the stickies to sofmod your 4.2

Araxiel

Trophies
XP
Country
john1010_ma said:
Araxiel said:
i recently got a problem.. i updated my WII to 4.2E and now Configurable USB Loader wont load the drive.. it just stops at the splash screen and then nothing happens.. im not sure what version of the usb loader i have, but i know its pretty new, since it worked on Wii 4.1.. anyone able to help?
I'm guessing you did the official 4.2 update from Nintendo? If yes You might need to get your Wii softmodded again. Follow xzxero's guide in the stickies to sofmod your 4.2

correct, i used the official.. but HBC still works perfectly, so is it really necessary for it to be modded again?

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Araxiel said:
john1010_ma said:
Araxiel said:

correct, i used the official.. but HBC still works perfectly, so is it really necessary for it to be modded again?

Yes. If you have the latest HBC then that's why it works. It uses a different titleID than the one Nintendo was looking for.
Your cIOS are all gone (except for 250 if you have it)

john1010_ma

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Araxiel said:

Of course HBC works cos you're porbably using the latest version of HBC. Anyway, start from the trucha bug restorer steps in the 4.2 method of the guide.

hackotedelaplaqu

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
France
Forgive me if it's a noobish question but can we hope a wbfs conversion on the fly within cfg loader ?
We should launch directly isos (or zipped isos) on FAT32 and CfgLoader would do the "trick" when loading the game.

Araxiel

Trophies
XP
Country
just did everything you adviced me too, and it works! thanks a lot for the fast help
smile.gif

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
EnioMarcos said:
Games in FAT partition are ~2% smaller than games in WBFS partition.
On what are based these reports of smaller size?
The size should be the same.

newwolf said:
I don't know where you heard that partition magic supports resizing wbfs partitions?
You have most probably just corrupted it.

QUOTE(hackotedelaplaque @ Oct 28 2009, 07:15 PM)
Forgive me if it's a noobish question but can we hope a wbfs conversion on the fly within cfg loader ?
We should launch directly isos (or zipped isos) on FAT32 and CfgLoader would do the "trick" when loading the game.
cfgloader will not do any "tricks" on the fly.

newwolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
newwolf said:
I don't know where you heard that partition magic supports resizing wbfs partitions?
You have most probably just corrupted it.

I didn't heard it
unsure.gif
I just try it.
But the strange thing is the wii still reads it and the pc doesn't
Is there a kind of posibility wbfs-partition doesn't understand the new size and wii is not checking that.

EnioMarcos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
oggzee said:
EnioMarcos said:

The WBFS partition have 638.56Gb used space and 292.94Gb free.
After conversion: the FAT32 partition have 626.52Gb used and 304.98Gb free

That's the numbers here... I don't know why the used and free space are a little bit diferent...

inAcrysis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
EnioMarcos said:
oggzee said:
EnioMarcos said:

That's the numbers here... I don't know why the used and free space are a little bit diferent...

Used space gone down 12Gb & free space gone up 12Gb by the looks fo that.

EnioMarcos

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
inAcrysis said:
EnioMarcos said:

Used space gone down 12Gb & free space gone up 12Gb by the looks fo that.

And, so far, everything are pretty ok in kingdom...
smile.gif

All games working very well.

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oggzee said:
EnioMarcos said:
Why should they be the same? Even going from one size WBFS partition to another can cause the size of the games to increase or decrease, all depending on the size of the blocks. In WBFS, the number of blocks on a drive has to fit into 16 bits, so you can only have a maximum of 65,535 blocks. On my 450GB WBFS partition, the blocks were 8MB in size, but when I reformatted it to a 900GB partition, the block size doubled as well, to 16MB. This caused each game to increase in size by 24 or 32MB. The same is true of FAT32 partitions and depending on the size of the allocation unit you select when formatting, the games can grow or shrink.

BTW, is there a recommended maximum size for the file allocation table? Is it always read from the drive when needed or is there any caching going on?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
newwolf said:
I didn't heard it
unsure.gif
I just try it.
But the strange thing is the wii still reads it and the pc doesn't
Is there a kind of posibility wbfs-partition doesn't understand the new size and wii is not checking that.
This is a known trick. Partition Magic doesn't resize the partition properly, but the Wii access method doesn't stumble whereas the PC one does. It is likely if you actually filled up the partition that the Wii might start causing errors due to the discrepancy.

Your only real hope is to try to resize it back to the original size with Partition Magic. Hopefully that would undo everything you did before. If that doesn't work, then you simply need to either stick to your WBFS partition or reformat the whole drive and rip all your games again (which doesn't take much longer than copying them anyway).

QUOTE(inAcrysis @ Oct 29 2009, 04:31 AM) I don't even know how to get wbfs_file1.3.exe going!
I know

laurozza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
kylsav said:
Its nice to see Configurable USB Loader use FAT32 now but isn't there a max file size for FAT32 of only 4 GB? This wouldn't allow some games to be on the FAT32 partition?
When you convert .iso files into .wbfs files, they will be split in parts. So no problems with the max file size limitation.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Skizzo said:
Why should they be the same? Even going from one size WBFS partition to another can cause the size of the games to increase or decrease, all depending on the size of the blocks. In WBFS, the number of blocks on a drive has to fit into 16 bits, so you can only have a maximum of 65,535 blocks. On my 450GB WBFS partition, the blocks were 8MB in size, but when I reformatted it to a 900GB partition, the block size doubled as well, to 16MB. This caused each game to increase in size by 24 or 32MB. The same is true of FAT32 partitions and depending on the size of the allocation unit you select when formatting, the games can grow or shrink.

BTW, is there a recommended maximum size for the file allocation table? Is it always read from the drive when needed or is there any caching going on?
Thank you for the enlightenment! I knew the block size was variable but didn't expect the difference would be that much evident! So there you have it, I don't know everything about wbfs
wink.gif

And about fat, yes libfat does cache device accesses. And the only instance when the whole fat is read is when the free/used space info is needed. Which you can see at the bottom of the game list and it does take a few moments or in the install screen. But this is done only one time and cached for further use. I hope this answers your question, if I understood correctly what you were asking?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
oggzee said:
And about fat, yes libfat does cache device accesses. And the only instance when the whole fat is read is when the free/used space info is needed. Which you can see at the bottom of the game list and it does take a few moments or in the install screen. But this is done only one time and cached for further use. I hope this answers your question, if I understood correctly what you were asking?
I think the only part you missed this time, oggzee, is to mention that using "hide_hddinfo=1" in config.txt will remove even that initial delay in the game list.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://torrentfreak.com/one-nintendo-dmca-notice-just-wiped-out-8535-yuzu-emulator-forks-240502/