additional images can be supplied that will be overlaid over the background:
- bg_overlay.png or bg_overlay_w.png for console background
- bg_gui_over.png or bg_gui_over_w.png for gui background
New options:
background_base
wbackground_base
background_gui
wbackground_gui
Used to specify the background base over which the overlays are applied.
-----------------------

so you just put the overlay png files within the theme dir?
no need to assign them in the theme.txt?

background_base = bg_base.png
wbackground_base = bg_base.png
background_gui = bg_gui_base.png
wbackground_gui = bg_gui_base.png

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
milcoi said:
so you just put the overlay png files within the theme dir?
no need to assign them in the theme.txt?

Yes, just put the overlay files in the theme dir.
There is no option at the moment to change the overlay file names.
(and I'm thinking that is not even needed)

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
cfg v41b (beta)

http://sharebee.com/59725b28

Changes since alpha:

* Streamlined steps in game install screen
* Fixed green screen before starting game (from cloader)

Changes since 40 release:

* Improved theming (background overlay and resize)

The install screen has been changed similar to the suggestion by gizmomelb:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=147...t&p=2148772
(except no size reported and no cover install)

duy64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it possible to add auto scrolling for long titles ?
Something like this "Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: Fullmetal Alchemist - Akatsuki no Ouji" can't be seen by the loader in flow mode and list mode.

Caliban

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know this will be a stupid question, but for upgrading versions I assume I can just download the new version and overwrite the files on my SD card thus keeping all my stuff intact. I downloaded v39 last week and have a bunch of games so far and everything is going awesome, I just don't feel like making a n00b mistake!

Thanks!

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
Caliban said:
I know this will be a stupid question, but for upgrading versions I assume I can just download the new version and overwrite the files on my SD card thus keeping all my stuff intact. I downloaded v39 last week and have a bunch of games so far and everything is going awesome, I just don't feel like making a n00b mistake!

Thanks!
Yes, just overwrite the boot.dol in the apps/usbloader directory. You can also use the online update within the Loader itself if your Wii is connected to the Internet.

Caliban

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
Yes, just overwrite the boot.dol in the apps/usbloader directory. You can also use the online update within the Loader itself if you're Wii is connected to the Internet.

I thought there was an online update on there somewhere, but I must be blind. I was looking for the options menu or whatever I could only find the options for the individual games themselves. I'll find it then!
smile.gif

EDIT: Ahhhhhhh, I need to push the 1 button TWICE to get the global options.

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
I have a question for theme makers:

Would you find the ability to change the overlay file name useful?

As at the moment the file names are hard-coded (bg_overlay.png, bg_overlay_w.png, bg_gui_over.png, bg_gui_over_w.png). And I'm leaning towards not making that configurable so that the filenames are standardized and can be easily swapped between themes without the need to edit theme.txt. Also note: if there are no wide variants supplied then the normal 4:3 overlay is used, so it is possible to use the same file for both 4:3 and wide mode. I'm mostly looking for opinion from: DonTlaloc, Blue-K, Milkoi and Narolez. But if anyone has any thoughts about that let me know.

milcoi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
oggzee said:

As at the moment the file names are hard-coded (bg_overlay.png, bg_overlay_w.png, bg_gui_over.png, bg_gui_over_w.png). And I'm leaning towards not making that configurable so that the filenames are standardized and can be easily swapped between themes without the need to edit theme.txt. Also note: if there are no wide variants supplied then the normal 4:3 overlay is used, so it is possible to use the same file for both 4:3 and wide mode. I'm mostly looking for opinion from: DonTlaloc, Blue-K, Milkoi and Narolez. But if anyone has any thoughts about that let me know.

I also recommend to keep them hardcoded and also the existing. The filenames will then be standardized and can be easily swapped between themes without the need to edit theme.txt
But, Maybe just a small change in filenaming:

bg_overlay.png (4:3 console background overlay)
bg_overlay_w.png (16:9 console background overlay)
bg_gui_overlay.png (4:3 gui background overlay)
bg_gui_overlay_w.png (16:9 gui background overlay)

This will be more correcsponding to the other names:

background = bg.png (4:3 console background)
wbackground = bg_wide.png (16:9 console background)
background_base = bg_base.png (4:3 console background)
wbackground_base = bg_base_w.png (16:9 console background)
background_gui = bg_gui.png (4:3 gui background)
wbackground_gui = bg_gui_w.png (16:9 gui background)

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
oggzee said:
I know you already have my opinion given our PM discussions, but I'd like to voice the reasons I've stated to allow for it, in case it helps the others make up their minds.

Reasons why allowing renaming won't hurt anything:
1: It can be done without adding new options, just by augmenting the new ones so they can optionally take a second argument.
2: Themes that use the default filenames don't need to include the option in the theme.txt and can copy files between themes just as easily as if the filenames were fixed.

Reasons that actually make having the options better:
3: If there's one or two overlays that everyone uses, they can be stored in the base directory and don't have to be included with themes, saving space on the SD card.
4: It allows the user to optionally choose no overlay in one theme, and an overlay in another with the same background image (which could be stored in the root)

Reasons made to maintain consistency:
5: Not being able to change those files makes them the only background related files which have fixed names.
6: Not only that, but they are also different to other fixed filename options as they don't get looked for in the base directory if they aren't found in the theme directory. That gives us three types of files: Those with options, those without and are only looked for in one directory and those that are looked for in multiple places. It's just more confusing.

Just to make it clear, my proposal is that the new options each have 2 possible values.:

Value 1: A single filename. Means to use a background, but not to use an overlay.
Value 2: Two filenames separated by a comma. First is background, second is overlay.

The default will be something like "background_base=bg_base.png,bg_overlay.png". That way, you can still copy files that use those default names between theme directories and it will work, unless the theme creator wanted to specify their own, which they have the power to do.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
oggzee said:

Meh, in my opinion Dr. Clipper said my main point, that made it a tie for me:
QUOTE...That gives us three types of files: Those with options, those without and are only looked for in one directory and those that are looked for in multiple places. It's just more confusing...
I don't need it, but I'm also not mad if you change it. Honestly, I don't care (harsh said). It's 50/50, so a tie for me. So I don't have a clear answer. I'll work with what I'll get, and it doesn't matter for me. You have to discuss that out with the other people here, sorry
tongue.gif

Btw: Many thanks for the Green-Screen fix
smile.gif

Dochog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which gives faster performance.

Having your files & covers stored on the USB drive or on a SD Card?

Is one way better over the other?

oggzee

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
milcoi said:
quick question:
Do I need to make the buttons for the wide overlay smaller then for the normal overlay?
Same as before - you create a 800x480 image, and then you can either shrink it to 640x480 or leave it in original resolution and let the loader scale it down to 640x480. Try it out and you'll get the idea...

Bronzodiriace said:
great work ogg
wink.gif

I have a little question about cios 222/223 rev 3.
Any differences about rev 2 and rev 3? I have rev 2.
The difference is in the USB driver (ehcmodule) for rev2 the version from uloader 2.5 is used while for rev3 the version from uloader 2.8D is used. I don't know the details, I think the changes are mostly about usb hdd compatibility, you can check the uloader changelogs if you can find more details...

QUOTE(Dochog @ Aug 18 2009, 04:13 PM)
Which gives faster performance.
Having your files & covers stored on the USB drive or on a SD Card?
Is one way better over the other?
USB HDD are generally faster than the SD cards.

charroux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dr. Clipper said:
oggzee said:
I know you already have my opinion given our PM discussions, but I'd like to voice the reasons I've stated to allow for it, in case it helps the others make up their minds.

Reasons why allowing renaming won't hurt anything:
1: It can be done without adding new options, just by augmenting the new ones so they can optionally take a second argument.
2: Themes that use the default filenames don't need to include the option in the theme.txt and can copy files between themes just as easily as if the filenames were fixed.

Reasons that actually make having the options better:
3: If there's one or two overlays that everyone uses, they can be stored in the base directory and don't have to be included with themes, saving space on the SD card.
4: It allows the user to optionally choose no overlay in one theme, and an overlay in another with the same background image (which could be stored in the root)

Reasons made to maintain consistency:
5: Not being able to change those files makes them the only background related files which have fixed names.
6: Not only that, but they are also different to other fixed filename options as they don't get looked for in the base directory if they aren't found in the theme directory. That gives us three types of files: Those with options, those without and are only looked for in one directory and those that are looked for in multiple places. It's just more confusing.

Just to make it clear, my proposal is that the new options each have 2 possible values.:

Value 1: A single filename. Means to use a background, but not to use an overlay.
Value 2: Two filenames separated by a comma. First is background, second is overlay.

The default will be something like "background_base=bg_base.png,bg_overlay.png". That way, you can still copy files that use those default names between theme directories and it will work, unless the theme creator wanted to specify their own, which they have the power to do.
I find that the hard-coded filenames works well, but agree that customization wouldn't hurt. Also, adding "lay" as was suggested would be helpful. Comma seperated options are confusing (how would you handle a filename with a comma in it?). I prefer the "whichever setting comes last" in the config file method, using different variable names.

I have many themes I was planning on posting, since I finished adding 16:9 versions to most of them, but now I'm converting them all to use overlays for easier customization. I really like the overlay concept, since that's how my themes were being made already, using layer templates in PaintShop Pro as overlays.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1