Gaming Conduit E3 Demo!

euphemism

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from IGN
QUOTE said:
"Nintendo has just announced (for the first time formally) that a new Pikmin is on the way.

During a developer roundtable at E3 2008, Nintendo creative mastermind Shigeru Miyamoto has confirmed for the first time that Nintendo is indeed bringing back the beloved GameCube franchise, and we can only assume it's going to be for Wii.

Details on the game are sparse right now, but Miyamoto did casually mention "We're making Pikmin" during the roundtable presentation. He hinted earlier that a new Pikmin could be on the way – both in previous conferences and in our recent interview with him – but now it's officially official. Pikmin is making a return."

This game seems to be coming along extremely well. Look here for a video displaying how customizable the controls are.

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Vater Unser said:
And Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't happen. Not on the Wii, not on Nintendo's next system.
It is possible (although highly unlikely) that the Wii might get another Mario game in the future, but if Nintendo had a new Mario in development for the Wii, that would be one of the games they'd sure as hell have mentioned during the press conference...
Why would nintendo not release a new wii mario game? Mario sells BIGtime, as does zelda. They have already said that a new zelda game is under development, also one for the ds, and a new mario game. Why it wouldn't be mario galaxy 2 is beyond me, it sold a LOTTTTTTTTTTTTT of copies. So I recon it's a real possibility
QUOTEAt E3 2008, Nintendo confirmed (very vaguely) that the Mario and Zelda teams had reassembled, but offered no further details. But when we sat down with Shigeru Miyamoto this week, he elaborated on situation, absolutely confirmed that a new Wii Zelda is underway, and suggested that it will see some fundamental changes.
http://au.wii.ign.com/articles/890/890200p1.html

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
High Voltage confimed that the game will have 16-players multiplayer with WiiSpeak support!
hrth.gif

jservs7

Witcher of Whores
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From IGN:

QUOTE said:
July 17, 2008 - IGN Wii readers are no strangers to The Conduit, a Wii-exclusive first-person shooter developed by High Voltage Software. We unveiled the ambitious project many months ago and we've been posting regular (and usually exclusive) updates on it ever since. But at E3 2008 this week, we finally had the chance to go hands-on with the shooter to find out if it's really all that High Voltage has been promising. And now that we've gripped the Wii remote in our hands, run through a world drown in uncommon (for Wii) graphical effects and gunned down alien vermin with customized precision, we can state without any hesitation that it most certainly is the real deal. Put it on your radar right now because it is exactly the caliber of Wii effort you've been waiting for.

High Voltage is not "officially" showing The Conduit at E3, but it has set up the first-person shooter on a small flat-screen television in a darkened hotel room in downtown Los Angeles. Creative directors Eric Nofsinger and Matt Corso seem excited to finally show us the title in motion, but also a little nervous. And we can understand why. This is do or die time. No more controlled videos or screenshots. Now the game really has to speak for itself. And we've been in exactly this situation before -- where a title has been made to be the next big thing, but when we finally sit down to play it, we're underwhelmed.

After explaining that all the voice work in the 15-minute E3 2008 demo of The Conduit is placeholder, the action begins and any remaining fears we have are washed away. We can tell right from the get-go that High Voltage has nailed it, just as we could tell from the start that Ubisoft's over-hyped first-person shooter Red Steel totally missed the mark. You can see it in the way the reticule moves smoothly around the screen and you can see it when Corso makes a sharp turn and the screen flows quickly and fluidly to the right. The clunky, mechanical control that you endure in so many console-based first-person shooters is absent from The Conduit. Rather, it simulates the spectacular responsiveness found in Medal of Honor Heroes 2, a game that we celebrated almost entirely for its definable control setup.

And really, The Conduit takes customized controls to the next level for a number of important reasons. Yes, it does feature the ability to fully adjust your turn speeds and dead zones (the invisible bounding box that separates aiming from turning). It also features customizable cursor sensitivity, camera look angles, auto centering, and turning while the cursor is offscreen. You can even adjust your character's run speed (For the record, we felt that the present maximum run speed should be the new starting point and High Voltage agreed, so expect that change to be introduced in future builds). The game already boasts a number of extra control options over Heroes 2, but what really makes The Conduit's approach extra special is that you can make all of these adjustments in real-time. As you're moving through an atmospheric Washington D.C. that has been invaded by alien forces, you can bring up a graphic overlay that let's you customize all of the aforementioned attributes, and if you make changes, they will be reflected on-the-fly.

The Conduit additionally features a fully customizable control scheme so that you create your layout as you see fit. Don't like the fact that scope zoom is mapped to the bottom D-Pad? Change it. Prefer that the A button be used for crouching? No problem. And High Voltage promises that in the final version, you will even be able to map certain moves to Wii remote gestures if you'd prefer. On top of everything else, you can also completely edit the game's heads-up display, moving around information such as character health and ammo to your preferred positioning. Supposing you're the type who hates their screen clogged with any items, you can altogether remove it. The developer has really provided all of the options that hardcore gamers will want.

We had absolutely no trouble blasting our way through a portion of the opening stage, effortlessly targeting enemies and taking them down with different weapons, from a powerful handgun to a sniper rifle and even some alien tools of destruction inspired by the Half Life series. For example, there's an extraterrestrial weapon which shoots missile-like projectiles that will follow your on-screen reticule around. There is another alien gun in which you must twist the Wii remote to set the angle of the shots it fires. Aiming is incredibly tight and fast. Shooting enemies is very satisfying. It works as well as any Wii fans might hope.

The Conduit looks better than the majority of Wii games on the market thanks to High Voltage's dedication to taking advantage of the hardware -- a novelty, unfortunately, since few other third-parties bother. The game sports a very crisp, clean look complemented by a host of graphical effects, from dramatic real-time lighting and particles to bump- and normal-mapped objects. Characters animate fluidly. Transparent water shimmers realistically. Aliens sparkle with reflective armor. Later, when High Voltage brought The Conduit to our E3 war room, the polished visuals encapsulating the title tricked a few passersby into believing that The Conduit was an Xbox 360 game. All of the extra graphical bells and whistles have come at the price of the occasional framerate hiccup. The Conduit usually runs at 30 frames, but skips a beat during high-action sequences. The developer promises that the final version will run smoothly all the time and we definitely believe it.

The E3 demo of The Conduit is entirely single-player focused, so we didn't get the chance to test the game online. However, High Voltage is purportedly aiming for a robust online experience complete with WiiSpeak support for voice-over support -- another first-person shooter first on Wii.

We're going to have more coverage on The Conduit in the coming weeks and months. For now, rest assured that the FPS is exactly what the doctor ordered. High Voltage was busy at E3 2008 meeting with a number of major third-party publishers about the project and we don't think the developer will have any trouble whatsoever securing a significant backer when it finally decides to select one.
If some people can think this was a 360 game, thats good enough for me!
biggrin.gif

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
manias said:
Why would nintendo not release a new wii mario game? Mario sells BIGtime, as does zelda. They have already said that a new zelda game is under development, also one for the ds, and a new mario game. Why it wouldn't be mario galaxy 2 is beyond me, it sold a LOTTTTTTTTTTTTT of copies. So I recon it's a real possibility
Where did you hear about a new DS Zelda? I only know that the Wii and DS Zelda teams joined together and are making a new Wii Zelda.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
MagNetCZ said:
manias said:
Where did you hear about a new DS Zelda? I only know that the Wii and DS Zelda teams joined together and are making a new Wii Zelda.
I believe Miyamoto said the Zelda handheld team is working on a game to IGN.

MagNetCZ

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dinofan01 said:
MagNetCZ said:
manias said:
I believe Miyamoto said the Zelda handheld team is working on a game to IGN.
Well it is working on the Wii Zelda along with the original Wii Zelda team. At least that's what he said in the IGN interview.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back