machomuu said:
They didn't revolutionize First-Person shooters

Fool.

Explain.

Joe88 said:
QUOTE(machomuu @ Apr 6 2011, 05:12 PM)
(especially Physics).
speedy thing goes in, speedy thing comes out
Valve is known for their physics engine, and Half-Life 2 had physics unseen in games at the time.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
A revolution is a big change. They made a great FPS with the HL series but they didn't change shit.

It could be said that they revolutionized the puzzle genre with Portal. But it still wasn't them, but the guys who made Narbacular Drop.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ikki said:
A revolution is a big change. They made a great FPS with the HL series but they didn't change shit.

It could be said that they revolutionized the puzzle genre with Portal. But it still wasn't them, but the guys who made Narbacular Drop.
This.

They didn't revolutionise anything, just made a good series.

Sonic4Ever

Trophies
XP
Country
France
machomuu said:
Sonic4Ever said:
machomuu said:

Fool.
Explain.
Did you live in a shelf during these last 20 years? Half Life DID revolutionize FPS for years, it has since been regarded as one of the greatest games of all time. Gameplay and level design were at its finest. Story was good. It was immersive. It was totally the shit.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ikki said:
Thanks Ikki, this was my point.

Sonic4Ever said:
machomuu said:
Sonic4Ever said:
QUOTE(machomuu @ Apr 6 2011, 11:12 PM) They didn't revolutionize First-Person shooters

Fool.
Explain.
Did you live in a shelf during these last 20 years? Half Life DID revolutionize FPS for years, it has since been regarded as one of the greatest games of all time. Gameplay and level design were at its finest. Story was good. It was immersive. It was totally the shit.
Great game =/= revolutionize

None of your points tell me how it revolutionized anything.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sonic4Ever said:
machomuu said:
Sonic4Ever said:
machomuu said:

Fool.
Explain.
rev·o·lu·tion·ize
? ?/?r?v??lu???na?z/ Show Spelled[rev-uh-loo-shuh-nahyz] Show IPA
–verb (used with object), -ized, -iz·ing.
to bring about a revolution in; effect a radical change.

What radical change did the Half Life series bring?
You just got defined fool.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
BobTheJoeBob said:
Sonic4Ever said:
machomuu said:
Sonic4Ever said:
machomuu said:

Fool.
Explain.
rev·o·lu·tion·ize
? ?/?r?v??lu???na?z/ Show Spelled[rev-uh-loo-shuh-nahyz] Show IPA
–verb (used with object), -ized, -iz·ing.
to bring about a revolution in; effect a radical change.

What radical change did the Half Life series bring?
You just got defined fool.

If anything I would say Red Faction brought in some pretty big ideas with the whole fully destructable terrain deal, and that was probably much bigger than anything Half Life 2 did.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
purechaos996 said:
Valve is probably one of the best developers out there, at least they aren't lazy and when they make games they support them for years to come.

I do love Valve and appreciate their work but I think that's actually one of the problems. Instead of making new games they just make one game and keep it running for years to come. I mean I don't need their franchises to go annual like Call of Duty (although Left 4 Dead had a sequel a year after its release and it was pretty worthwhile), but for them to just have a major turnaround in one of their franchises every once in a while instead of just adding more stuff to the original.

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Ikki said:

Much like every other brilliant concept, Valve bought them. While you can say the idea was made outside of Valve (much like CS, TF, L4D), Valve owns them and it's theirs now.
tongue.gif

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
does valve milk a genre? i dont think so. They do make good games and they dont overdo it on the sexual or comedy part (maybe somehow but not as others do eg. ubi and square on sexuality i mean)
then again, as long as the ppl love the game more than they hate it, its a good developer but if the few fans (relatively) think the quality is much better than the rest of the games then u call them creative developer.

Call me noob but whats IP? Valve focuses on First Person games, maybe something DIFFERENT would be in order from them to be called creative.

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ehhh regardless of whether or not Half life was truly revolutionary......Valve still made steam and that is revolutionary, to a point where I think the pc gaming industry would be a bit different these days if not for t

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
twiztidsinz said:
MasterPenguin said:
shakirmoledina said:
Call me noob but whats IP? Valve focuses on First Person games, maybe something DIFFERENT would be in order from them to be called creative.

Alien Swarm & Dota 2 say hi.

Not Made By Valve says hi.

QUOTEAlien Swarm is a free top-down shoot-em-up video game by Valve Corporation.

Dota 2 is an upcoming action fantasy strategy video game, developed by Valve Corporation.

Made by Valve says hi.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
MasterPenguin said:
twiztidsinz said:
MasterPenguin said:
shakirmoledina said:

Alien Swarm & Dota 2 say hi.

Not Made By Valve says hi.

QUOTEAlien Swarm is a free top-down shoot-em-up video game by Valve Corporation.

Dota 2 is an upcoming action fantasy strategy video game, developed by Valve Corporation.

Made by Valve says hi.

Modders who are being paid for valve, not original valve employees. Things that Valve have bought the rights to. Not original valve creations.

MasterPenguin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
What's your point? They're apart of Valve now, so it's Valves game. All developers hire out people when they create their games - you're saying the game doesn't belong to them?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo