Computer security settings

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by DavMaestro, May 9, 2009.

May 9, 2009
  1. DavMaestro
    OP

Newcomer DavMaestro Member

Australia
    My ds locates an access point but it says my computers security is not letting my ds to set up wifi

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    If you are using a router/hub/switch your computer should not make any difference to the DS as it is the router/hub/switch that sorts everything.
    However the DS has rather limited security in that it only supports WEP encryption (two further forms called WPA and WPA2 exist and these are sometimes added to newer routers by default).
    Your only real option it to use WEP or nothing with the DS, there are other methods of security but they are largely ineffective against a good attacker (someone who knows how to go after a WEP protected network), if you do want to try them for some reason read up on mac address filtering (it is about 10 seconds to get around), SSID hiding (again 10 seconds) and low power transmission (I really do not suggest this one;a high gain antenna is trivial to make and it will only end up frustrating you).

If you are using a dongle to connect through then it is a different matter. Best guess is your firewall (windows has a lousy one by default but your AV software may well have one), not knowing which one you use I can only give general advice (some are set up to do things silently) so go in an when your DS tried to connect it should flag up a process and block it, unblock this and the DS should work.