Gaming Computer Not Detecting Portable Hard Drive?

EpicJungle

stop browbeating me can't you see i'm sexy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My 110gb WD Passport has a few problems,
corrupting files, taking years to copy/paste/move files.

Don't suggest anything that involves erasing files; I have files that add up to 80gb :|

But now, the computer starts not detecting the hard drive
hate2.gif

Yay it detects it for some random reason
tongue.gif

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a MyPassport 250GB and usually I have to plug it into my hard drive then into my computer in order for it to detect though. It's a stupid little solution though and is probably only in my case.

But seeing all the problems you're having though it could be a more serious problem. Sad to say if it's crapping out you may as well get a new one. 80GB ones aren't too expensive really. They're decently cheap on Newegg at least. I don't know any online stores based mainly for Canada though, so sorry about that. But we've got a bunch of Canadians here and surely one will recommend you one.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
You could try opening the enclosure and hooking the drive up directly to your computer, if only to rescue what files you have before it totally fails.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
To me it either seems like the hard drive is failing or that you have some problems with the USB connection between it and the HDD. In the first case there's not much to do other than to abandon the drive and save what you can to another drive.

If it's the second case then it could be as simple as changing USB cable/changing USB port or opening up the enclosure, extract the drive and then install it inside your computer or in a new enclosure.
Guild McCommunist said:
But seeing all the problems you're having though it could be a more serious problem. Sad to say if it's crapping out you may as well get a new one. 80GB ones aren't too expensive really. They're decently cheap on Newegg at least. I don't know any online stores based mainly for Canada though, so sorry about that. But we've got a bunch of Canadians here and surely one will recommend you one.
http://www.newegg.ca/?

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually the topic creator is not asking anything, so what does he want...?

It's obvious the drive is (soon) hosed, keeping backups is good practice.

If the op wants 'pro' suggestions, seal the drive in a watertight bag and put it in a freezer half an hour, and see if you can backup the most important files afterwards. Not kidding. No guarantees. You can mess up.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Strider said:
Actually the topic creator is not asking anything, so what does he want...?

It's obvious the drive is (soon) hosed, keeping backups is good practice.

If the op wants 'pro' suggestions, seal the drive in a watertight bag and put it in a freezer half an hour, and see if you can backup the most important files afterwards. Not kidding. No guarantees. You can mess up.

Since your drive is crapping out, might as well try this. And yes, your drive is on it's way out the door. Sorry.

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you tried a shorter USB cable? I have a problem with my passport not detecting sometimes, and it's due to the USB cable being too crappy/short. These drives need just the right amount of power to start up.

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This is exactly why I avoid WD Products
biggrin.gif

Seagate have yet to fail me, all the WD drives I've had have bricked themselves.

Chances are that either:
A) You've damaged the HDD (dropping etc..)
B) You've broken the USB interface
C) USB Cable is broken
D) Drivers shitbricked themselves

if it's A, you're fucked
if it's B or C, you'll need to replace them, I suggest ditching the badly made WD case and getting a cheap 2.5" Enclosure/Caddy. Or hook it up internally.
if it's D, open up Device Management, uninstall all WD MyPassport related drivers, install the stock ones off their website, reboot, then try again. If this fails, its gonna be one of the other 3.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Is it not being recognized, or is Windows just not assigning it a drive letter? Try opening Disk Management and see if your drive is there. If it's there but not showing in My Computer, just assign it a drive letter and open it up.

EpicJungle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
shaunj66 said:
Have you tried a shorter USB cable? I have a problem with my passport not detecting sometimes, and it's due to the USB cable being too crappy/short. These drives need just the right amount of power to start up.

I tried sooo much USB cables... All of them act the same..

Antoligy said:
This is exactly why I avoid WD Products
biggrin.gif

Seagate have yet to fail me, all the WD drives I've had have bricked themselves.

Chances are that either:
A) You've damaged the HDD (dropping etc..)
B) You've broken the USB interface
C) USB Cable is broken
D) Drivers shitbricked themselves

if it's A, you're fucked
if it's B or C, you'll need to replace them, I suggest ditching the badly made WD case and getting a cheap 2.5" Enclosure/Caddy. Or hook it up internally.
if it's D, open up Device Management, uninstall all WD MyPassport related drivers, install the stock ones off their website, reboot, then try again. If this fails, its gonna be one of the other 3.

Aha, my parent bought the WD Passport cause it was on sale
wink.gif

A) I never ever dropped it or damaged it in any way :| We barely use it; it's only for backup..
B) I don't think so, when i plug it the blue light turns on
C) Tried soo much USB cables, and they all work with other sturff :|
D) I can't see any related drives in Device Managment

QUOTE(Skyline969 @ Aug 6 2010, 04:42 AM)
Is it not being recognized, or is Windows just not assigning it a drive letter? Try opening Disk Management and see if your drive is there. If it's there but not showing in My Computer, just assign it a drive letter and open it up.

Can't see it anywhere on Disk Management...
I guess it's not recognizing it..?

____

If this helps, there's a blue light that goes on whenever I connect the WD Passport.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Crazzy1 said:
If this helps, there's a blue light that goes on whenever I connect the WD Passport.
On the drive you mean? That's good, because that means it's receiving power. Put your ear to it and plug it in... can you hear the drive spinning at all? If not, the enclosure may be fine but the hard disk inside is done for.

EpicJungle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Skyline969 said:
Crazzy1 said:
On the drive you mean? That's good, because that means it's receiving power. Put your ear to it and plug it in... can you hear the drive spinning at all? If not, the enclosure may be fine but the hard disk inside is done for.

Yep, I hear the drive spin.
Sometimes it starts making a clicking sound loud enough so that I don't have to put my ear to it.
But good news: NOW THE COMPUTER DETECTS IT
... for some reason...
unsure.gif

Now, who can help me with the copying/moving/pasting/corrupting problem
tongue.gif

Frederica Bernkastel

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Ah, does it sound like this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WD_bad_h...ck_of_death.ogg
if so, you're done for.

If not, there's still hope (that it's just a filesystem thing). Some clicks can be caused by the spinning causing the HDD to vibrate within it's case/whatever it's resting on, and in some cases are fixable using bubble-wrap.

EpicJungle

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Antoligy said:
Ah, does it sound like this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WD_bad_h...ck_of_death.ogg
if so, you're done for.

If not, there's still hope (that it's just a filesystem thing). Some clicks can be caused by the spinning causing the HDD to vibrate within it's case/whatever it's resting on, and in some cases are fixable using bubble-wrap.

Nope, a different click *sigh of relief*

But the computer detects it now... But there's still this problem with taking years to copy/paste/move stuff into/out of the WD Passport..
How can I fix it..?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Crazzy1 said:
But there's still this problem with taking years to copy/paste/move stuff into/out of the WD Passport..
How can I fix it..?

It's still quite likely it's a hardware fault. You could try scanning the drive for errors, be sure to check for bad sectors also (there could be physical damage to them).
As a precaution I would backup any important files in case the drive fails fully.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.