moozxy

hamboning
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My mum's computer won't turn on anymore.
She said during the day that it kept switching off by itself. This sounded like what happened to mine, dust had clogged the fan up, so when I looked it was caked in dust.. So my guess is it overheated and something broke.. lol
Anyway if this happens does this mean the computer is unfixable without getting new hardware?

moozxy

hamboning
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just opened it up, and yes it looks like the capacitors are swollen..
The computer is quite old but my mum just used it for going online checking emails etc. do you think it's worth trying to fix?
And how much do motherboards cost, and could I (no experience) install it?

moozxy

hamboning
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'll assume it's the names printed on it and that is ASRock and then it has several numbers and letters so I'm not sure which one is the model number.. I'll post them all; K7S41, ATA133, AGP 8X.
I don't know about the CPU sorry.
Thanks for taking time to help me out too, it's much appreciated.

powertex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sounds like the problem may be caused by one or two things, power supply or motherboard. if there are no swollen capacitor, then your motherboard is fine. usually though even if the capacitor goes bad it would still power up for a second and gives you and error. i'm leaning towards the power supply.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That board is an ASRock K7S41 and supports a Socket A processor (AMD Athlon XP/Duron).

EDIT: Looking at the manual you would probably need a new PSU as well if you needed to replace the motherboard, I doubt that has an ATX 2.0+ power supply in it that would be required for a newer board.

moozxy

hamboning
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ah ok.. Well my mum decided she could live without hers and would go on either mine or my sisters when she needed to check her emails.
Is there anything I could pull out of there that's of any use?

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
Depends on what your PC is. The RAM might be usable in your PC, the hard drive definitely will be. But if it's an old slow small hard drive then it's probably not worth using it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: 4th wife