ROM Hack [Completed] Love Plus English Translation Patch

Exhaust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only briefly looked at some of the mails, I did notice the slight awkwardness with the use of "as if" but decided to leave it as it was. "Nante" is just a tricky term to translate because depending on how it's used, it could just add emphasis to a statement or be similar to the use of prefixes in english. However, by itself, it can be roughly translated to mean "why" but that's not much better.

For example, we could replace "as if" with "why" in this sentence:

"I love you. I can't live my life without you... As if..." ---> "I love you. I can't live my life without you... Why..."

It doesn't really change anything because the ambiguity is still there and the real meaning being expressed should be closer to:

"I love you. I can't live my life without you... why is that..."

That's why there's isn't really any one term we can use for "nante" since the meaning practically changes depending on the context of the sentence it's used in. Although the general meaning is still there, a lot of it is similar to filling in the blanks when you try to translate it so it might be best to leave it as an ambiguous term like "as if".

Edit: Right, made a slight typo. It's "??? (Nante)" and not "??? (Nande)".

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Exhaust said:
I only briefly looked at some of the mails, I did notice the slight awkwardness with the use of "as if" but decided to leave it as it was. "Nande" is just a tricky term to translate because depending on how it's used, it could just add emphasis to a statement or be similar to the use of prefixes in english. However, by itself, it can be roughly translated to mean "why" but that's not much better.

For example, we could replace "as if" with "why" in this sentence:

"I love you. I can't live my life without you... As if..." ---> "I love you. I can't live my life without you... Why..."

It doesn't really change anything because the ambiguity is still there and the real meaning being expressed should be closer to:

"I love you. I can't live my life without you... why is that..."

That's why there's isn't really any one term we can use for "nande" since the meaning practically changes depending on the context of the sentence it's used in. Although the general meaning is still there, a lot of it is similar to filling in the blanks when you try to translate it so it might be best to leave it as an ambiguous term like "as if".
Or, removing it altogether would also work.

"I love you. I can't live my life without you..."

It just sounds so much better than either of those you mentioned.

Exhaust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
Or, removing it altogether would also work.

"I love you. I can't live my life without you..."

It just sounds so much better than either of those you mentioned.

You're right, the alternatives I mentioned do not get the job done so they were just used as quick examples.

However, the general idea here is that there's a bit of playfulness that's intended there and omitting it altogether would just be missing the point. It's similar to statements like: "you really suck...just kidding."

But if you omit the latter part, all you'd get is "you really suck..." which then conveys a totally different meaning from the original statement. Anyways, my point is that the goal of translation is to get as close of a meaning to the original as possible and that's why it's not an easy task to accomplish.

OceanBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of them sound like they should be "Just kidding", but I'd be worried that people would think that meant to disregard what they said.

Should we gather up all the instances in which it happens? It shouldn't be too hard, and it'd be easier to see if they can be organized or dealt with in a case-by-case basis rather than trying to have a blanket solution, which is what I feel is the problem here.

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty much as Exhaust said, but the word is actually "nante" not "nande". (The two have different meanings.)

Manaka says this often (about a few hundred times), and I think it was added as a part of her personality. So in my opinion, we shouldn't omit it.

-----------------------------------

Edited: I'll leave this "as if" part for you guys to think about for a few days. I'll be working on bugs fixing for now. Some more scripts will be added later for editing then. (I'll try to upload them soon so our editors won't feel so bored.
happy.gif
)

QUOTE said:
Edit 3: The scripts also have an inconsistent usage of symbols. Some of them have [end of sentence]? and some have [end of sentence]. ?. Which one should we use?
I think I'll use the format without. So it will be

[end of sentence]?

The same goes to the heart mark. (The one that appears as a triangle sign in the script.)

Inori

Trophies
Website
gokusaishiki.wordpress.com
XP
Country
hey jjjewel! It looks like things are going well.

I agree with you about なんて. It`s not as if she`s honestly retracting what she had just said. Think of her as being too proud or embarrassed to say something directly, and adds "なんて" to not make things weird.

Exhaust is right, though. なんて doesn`t always mean "just kidding". It actually means something close to "or something like that". Generally, if it`s at the end of a sentence, you can take it as meaning "just kidding / as if etc".

If it`s in the middle of a sentence, it`s emphazing the preceding phrase, as in
彼のことを忘れるなんてできない = (Literally) I can`t do such a thing like forget him = I can`t ever forget him.

I would strongly suggest that it not be omitted. As Exhaust said, the meaning changes entirely with it being omitted. You should aim to get as close to the original/intended meaning rather than going for something that sounds better. It may be the case that the character laughs or smiles after she says the line (blah blah blah なんて~) . If you omitted the なんて, it wouldn`t make sense for her to say something so serious and then have a little laugh about it afterwards.

past939

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
U DOODS ARE AWESUM IVE BEEN LOOKIN FOR A PATCH EVERY WHEREI MADE AN ACCOUNT JUST TO GIVE U PROPS N I WOULD LOVE TO C A FULL TRANSLATION IMMA TELL EVERY ONE I KNOW I WANNA C THIS DUN (ps. i would help but i cant translate with @!#$ n i can barely turn on my comp without it goin into flames)

Gurukof

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
oh i love you guys
i been looking for a long time to play a tokimemo game they are cool

the patch is looking perfect
nice fonts

you re doing an incredible and a much aprecciated piece of work everything that is translated is working perfect i yet have to find a error xD

keep it up

you totally rock!!
wink.gif

ps: just made an account to thanks you guys
sorry for my bad english

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Densetsu3000 said:
You got me curious now...could I see some examples of the original Japanese sentences using ???????

I may be getting ahead of myself, but I might be able to offer an equivalent English colloquialism.

Here (under the spoiler tag) are a few examples;

[Manaka]
+------------------------+
?????
?????????????
???……?

//////////////////////////////

[Manaka]
???????????
?????????????
????……????

[Manaka]
????????????
????????????
????

[Manaka]
??????????
??????????
???

[Manaka]
?????????
?????????????
????????????
??????……?

[Manaka]
????????
?????????……?

[Manaka]
……?

[Manaka]
???????
??????????
????

///////////////////////////////

[Manaka]
???????????
??????????
??????????

[Manaka]
??????????
??????
?????????

[Manaka]
……????

Note: The ??? in blue can be translated into English without much problem but the red ??? is the one we're having problem with.

Thank you very much for taking a look.
wub.gif

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Thanks jjjewel!

You're right, it is hard to translate. In these cases it would seem that ??? is used more to express a feeling that can't be directly translated into a set phrase in English. I can't quite explain it, but for some reason the song "Dreaming of You" by Selena comes to mind (don't judge me for knowing that song). If that song were translated into Japanese, it would have???? plastered all over the lyrics. I pulled one of my Japanese grammar dictionaries off the bookshelf to get more info about it, and this is what I found:

From A Dictionary of Advanced Japanese Grammar:

???: that; things like
A colloquial particle used to express a strong feeling such as astonishment, incredulousness, envy, disdain, dislike, happiness, etc.

REL. ??????; ???; ??

? Key Sentences
A. "that" usage
???????????????????????
It's terrible that bulling continues after grade school into junior high.B. "things like" usage
??????????????????????????????
Lately I've been using only e-mail, and seldom write (a thing like) a letter.Formation
(i) {V / Adj - ?} inf ???
?????????????
It's terrible that you'd break up with me!

??????????????????
I can't believe that (some people think) this problem is easy!(ii) {Adj - ? stem / N} {? / ???} ???
?????????????
Is it true that you like natto?

???????????????????????
I had no idea she was an actress!(iii) N ???
??????????????
I hate (things like) computers.Examples
a. ??????????????????
I'm so jealous that they get to dance at a live performance.

b. ??????????????????????????????
I'm so happy that so many of you have come to my home.

c. ????????????????????????????
It's horrible that they waste electricity in the summer using their air conditioner until they're freezing.

d. ?????????????????????????
I had no idea he was that famous!

e. ??????????
You're such a dick!

f. ?????????
I hate natto. Note
??? is used to express the speaker's emotion, such as envy [Ex. (a)], happiness [Ex. (b)], anger/astonishment [KS(A) & Ex. ©], surprise [Ex. (d)], disdain [Ex. (e)], dislike [Ex. (f)], and a sense of unimportance / feeling of cumbersomeness [KS(B)].
Another thing I should add is that in my experience, I rarely ever hear Japanese males use this word. It seems to be used almost exclusively by females. In cases where a male is speaking and ??? would normally be used by a female, a male would insert the word ??? instead. I usually only hear male foreigners use ??? when speaking in Japanese. What those male foreigners all have in common is that they have Japanese girlfriends, so I think they pick up the word from hearing their girlfriends use it all the time.

Not sure if this helps, but I'm assuming the word may pop up in sentences that remain to be translated, so I'm hoping this can cast another light on the usage of the term.

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much, Densetsu3000.

For now, I'm pretty sure that we can't make a fix translation for ???. I think we will vary the translation to fit the context rather than find only one word to fit all.

To think of it, I might have overused "As if" in the translations. The scripts might sound smoother and less annoying if we vary the words/phrase for this part.
happy.gif

Exhaust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^
^

I guess the game doesn't reuse a fix translation for なんて then.

In that case, I already scanned through the mails and edited the ones I found. It didn't take long but I ended up opting to use some non-lexical conversation sounds (interjections) in a few of the lines. Hopefully it does the trick.

IAmTheRad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have to say that while some of the translated strings seem a little odd, the game is more playable than it would be if it wasn't translated at all. I could see this being a semi-full translation, but not many if at all graphics translated. The dialog for the girls is more important than graphics.

I also need to say that while some strings are translated, they do seem a little grammatically odd and sound weird in English. Some of the translated text for Rinko is noticeably bad with the translation.

Multiskin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
IAmTheRad said:
I have to say that while some of the translated strings seem a little odd, the game is more playable than it would be if it wasn't translated at all. I could see this being a semi-full translation, but not many if at all graphics translated. The dialog for the girls is more important than graphics.

I also need to say that while some strings are translated, they do seem a little grammatically odd and sound weird in English. Some of the translated text for Rinko is noticeably bad with the translation.
that's true.... and after manaka confession there is a lot of non-translated script
unsure.gif

jjjewel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it's a partial translation patch and the scripts aren't fully edited.
happy.gif
(Only about 5% of the scripts were edited in the current patch.)

You will have to bear with this until the next patch. Since there is no special occasion, I think the next patch won't be released until most of the scripts are edited. (Which will take quite a while.
tongue.gif
)

And please feel free to submit any errors you spot via Error report form. This will help us speed the editing process.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl...l9HYlE6MQ#gid=0

bobbytheD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i got to play this patch for a few hours last nite, and REALLY enjoyed it, THANK YOU for taking so much time and effort to attempt this project!

after about 40 days game-time, the dialog from Nene when walking home started reverting back to Japanese. but most of the other dialog is still working fine.

such a cool game.

Nene is the typical sort of middle of the road chick. not super hot, not a dog. cool to hang with, and date.

Tanaka is the HOT but slightly weird chick who is aloof and troubled in some ways, but you want to hit it anyhow

Rinko is the typical bitchy alt/girl type......who probably has deep insecurity issues and puts on a brave face for the world. i just f$%ck with her for the lulz....

very fun game. it's too bad there was never an official translation, and i APPLAUD you guys for doing this!

IAmTheRad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rinko's back story is interesting, to say the least. You'll find out why she's that way. I of course changed her personality but she cannot call me onii-chan because that's just weird for a girl I was planning on dating.

If I were you guys translating, I'd work on getting the pre-confession stuff done first, then move onto the other parts of the dialog.

bobbytheD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IAmTheRad said:
Rinko's back story is interesting, to say the least. You'll find out why she's that way. I of course changed her personality but she cannot call me onii-chan because that's just weird for a girl I was planning on dating.

If I were you guys translating, I'd work on getting the pre-confession stuff done first, then move onto the other parts of the dialog.

yes.....after i get bored playing with nene, i will probably use another save file and try courting Rinko to see what her deal is.

as a kid, i was always the guy who chased Takane types. but now i am married to a Nene, and happy
smile.gif

IAmTheRad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, as long as you don't marry your DS and get featured on CNN.

It's not really grammatical errors, it's just that some things seem odd. Like being a Library Committee. Yep, you read that right. It's the way it says in the game.

I know you could do a direct translation and not do any editing, but I'm sure many people would like you having a full translation of the project. It's better than a straight menu patch. I did have my first Study session with Rinko in my game, and I'm glad that you guys put in actual questions that someone from North America could get (even when googling a bit). I did have to look up the likes for Rinko since she asked me some of them, and that text in pre-confession is not translated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1