Hacking Complete newbie

evadwolrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Could someone kindly give me a quick noob guide?

What is accepted as the best chip generally?

Can you still play online with backup games?

What's the best way to get your Wii chipped in the UK? DIY or some other way? (this might have to be done through PM I assume)

Can a US image be played on a chipped UK Wii? (PAL)

I'm all good with DS carts etc, but I've only just thought about chipping my Wii!

Oh yeah, apparently I have a low enough serial number for it to work according to my gf who checked last night - I got mine in the first UK batch on launch day.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
What is accepted as the best chip generally?
Wiikey was popular until it took them months to release their 1.9b update. But the last update come out much faster (a few days). There are also several other popular chips though, such as CycloWiiz, OpenWii, Wiinja, etc. I think it comes down to opinion. I have a Wiikey and I'm perfectly happy with it.
However if you have a D2C drive/chipset, your only choice is D2Ckey, as all other chips only work on D2A and D2B.

Can you still play online with backup games?
Yes.

Can a US image be played on a chipped UK Wii? (PAL)
Mostly, yes. However some games will semi-brick your Wii or just not work at all.
I personally have not tried playing games from another region, so there should be others else with better explanations.

QUOTE(evadwolrab @ Nov 7 2007, 06:21 AM)
Oh yeah, apparently I have a low enough serial number for it to work according to my gf who checked last night - I got mine in the first UK batch on launch day.
Then you shouldn't have to worry about the D2C thing. You should have a D2A.

If there's anything I didn't answer, it's because I don't know the answer.

1337Nemo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The

loresfx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Wiikey was popular until it took them months to release their 1.9b update.

dont lie, it took them a week or 2 and hasn't changed the fact that they are popular.
grog.gif

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It took wiikey almost 6 months or so to put out 1.9b.

but it didn't matter really because there wasn't an urgent need for it. When it came to the mario hotfix, which there was an urgent need for, they were on the ball.

The_Cylon_Surfer

Trophies
XP
Country
dont lie, it took them a week or 2 and hasn't changed the fact that they are popular.
grog.gif

[/quote]

A week or 2?? ermm not from what I saw, tried and tested it didnt...maybe we live in different timezones or time passes much slower for you...
blink.gif

Still back on topic, I have a Wiikey (as you can guess from the above post) I cannot comment on other chips - I have not tried them but in all fairness I put a burnt DVDR in my wii, it shows up as a game, I play it. You cant get fairer than that.

I also live in the UK and I contacted someone on Ebay to chip it for me (after a poor try myself)....
wtf.gif
..I know but it all worked out good, the guy repaired my bodged job and still managed to use the chip I thought I may have screwed, the service cost me little more than £35 inc posted (but not chip) and the turn around was a mere 3 days.

The only thing I woudl watch out for is as mentioned before - playing non PAL games. Some work fine, other dont and some can semi brick your Wii. If you read this sites wiki before trying any non PAL game then you shoul dbe all good!

Best of luck and I hope this helps.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Wiikey was popular until it took them months to release their 1.9b update.

grog.gif

Check out Wiikey's news page:
http://www.wiikey.cn/news.html

QUOTE said:
Wiikey update: ETA 1 week!
We have received positive news from the developers. The long-awaited upgrade to wiikey is basically finished, and is now being tested on different systems to ensure that is is working smoothly. We expect that it will be available to the public around May 15.

We would also like to point out that making the upgrade incompatible with clones have not caused any delays in the process.
The post itself is not dated, but the first paragraph indicates that it was posted before May 15.

And there's this:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=50102&st=0
Dated April 29th.

Then going back to Wiikey's news page:
[07.09.03] Wiikey update 1.9b
A leaked version of the wiikey firmware update is available on several websites. While the leaked firmware is indeed working and has all of the announced features, it has not yet been fully tested and does not come with the configuration and recovery discs. A full version will be available from wiikey.cn very soon.
The update was leaked around July 8th. That's at least 2 months.

And if you were around to see all the bashing that was going on during the 2-month wait, you would see that they lost much of their popularity.

I am not bashing the Wiikey. As I stated before, I have one and am happy with it. Just pointing out the previous problems.

evadwolrab

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks a lot peoples!

THe_ALYMEr, was the person on eBay actually advertising as a Wii chipper or did you just send a message to someone you thought would be able to do it? Any chance you could PM me their eBay username? I'm a bit scared of posting my Wii to some random - not as if I can go to the police about it if I never get it back is it? "This guy was supposed to be illegally chipping my console and hasn't given it back! Seize him!"

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: