Complete newbie

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by evadwolrab, Nov 7, 2007.

Nov 7, 2007

Complete newbie by evadwolrab at 11:21 AM (1,117 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. evadwolrab
    OP

Member evadwolrab GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Could someone kindly give me a quick noob guide?

What is accepted as the best chip generally?

Can you still play online with backup games?

What's the best way to get your Wii chipped in the UK? DIY or some other way? (this might have to be done through PM I assume)

Can a US image be played on a chipped UK Wii? (PAL)

I'm all good with DS carts etc, but I've only just thought about chipping my Wii!

Oh yeah, apparently I have a low enough serial number for it to work according to my gf who checked last night - I got mine in the first UK batch on launch day.

2. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Then you shouldn't have to worry about the D2C thing. You should have a D2A.

If there's anything I didn't answer, it's because I don't know the answer.

3. 1337Nemo

Member 1337Nemo GBAtemp Regular

Germany

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php?title=Wi...patibility_List

4. loresfx

Newcomer loresfx Member

United States
    dont lie, it took them a week or 2 and hasn't changed the fact that they are popular. [​IMG]

5. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    It took wiikey almost 6 months or so to put out 1.9b.

but it didn't matter really because there wasn't an urgent need for it. When it came to the mario hotfix, which there was an urgent need for, they were on the ball.

6. The_Cylon_Surfer

Member The_Cylon_Surfer GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    dont lie, it took them a week or 2 and hasn't changed the fact that they are popular. [​IMG]

[/quote]

A week or 2?? ermm not from what I saw, tried and tested it didnt...maybe we live in different timezones or time passes much slower for you... [​IMG]

Still back on topic, I have a Wiikey (as you can guess from the above post) I cannot comment on other chips - I have not tried them but in all fairness I put a burnt DVDR in my wii, it shows up as a game, I play it. You cant get fairer than that.

I also live in the UK and I contacted someone on Ebay to chip it for me (after a poor try myself).... [​IMG] ..I know but it all worked out good, the guy repaired my bodged job and still managed to use the chip I thought I may have screwed, the service cost me little more than £35 inc posted (but not chip) and the turn around was a mere 3 days.

The only thing I woudl watch out for is as mentioned before - playing non PAL games. Some work fine, other dont and some can semi brick your Wii. If you read this sites wiki before trying any non PAL game then you shoul dbe all good!

Best of luck and I hope this helps.

7. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    The update was leaked around July 8th. That's at least 2 months.

And if you were around to see all the bashing that was going on during the 2-month wait, you would see that they lost much of their popularity.

I am not bashing the Wiikey. As I stated before, I have one and am happy with it. Just pointing out the previous problems.

8. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Don't buy a Mod Chip if you plan to try to play NTSC games on a PAL Wii, the Compatibility is awful.

9. loresfx

Newcomer loresfx Member

United States
    lol sorry i overlooked teh post 1.9b took months. 1.9g took weeks [​IMG]

10. evadwolrab
    OP

Member evadwolrab GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Thanks a lot peoples!

THe_ALYMEr, was the person on eBay actually advertising as a Wii chipper or did you just send a message to someone you thought would be able to do it? Any chance you could PM me their eBay username? I'm a bit scared of posting my Wii to some random - not as if I can go to the police about it if I never get it back is it? "This guy was supposed to be illegally chipping my console and hasn't given it back! Seize him!"