Hacking Compiling WBFS on Mac OS X

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
collin said:
darkten said:
That said, everything under the GPL is there.

No need to rehash the derivatives issue -- I think you misconstrued my reply. I am saying that you just don't need to actually include the source in the package (that you needlessly over-accommodated
tongue.gif
), the GPL just says that you have to note it somewhere and have it available. I was just suggesting that you make a note of it somewhere (perhaps around the trademarks section of the About dialog) and not bother with shipping the source in the zip.
Problem there is that the GPL states that you then have to keep supply of the source for three years, whereas if you release it this way, it's a one shot.

Posts merged

Heck, I reformat my web server more often than that ...

collin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
joda said:
Problem there is that the GPL states that you then have to keep supply of the source for three years, whereas if you release it this way, it's a one shot.

Posts merged

Heh, fair point. Then may I suggest just putting it in the bundle (in Resources)?

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
collin said:
joda said:

Posts merged

Heh, fair point. Then may I suggest just putting it in the bundle (in Resources)?

I have a better suggestion:

Why don't WE not talk about this. Neither of you are the copyright holders of any of the assets involved.
smile.gif

Ya' feel me?

Oh BTW...

Kwiirk is in violation of GPL 2. Let's see if Collin can tell me how, and why.
biggrin.gif

d10

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
darkten said:
Why don't WE not talk about this. Neither of you are the copyright holders of any of the assets involved.
smile.gif

d10
Fair enough. (I have a thing for letting weird sayings go unanswered ... sorry =)

On another note, my question remain:
QUOTE(joda @ Apr 8 2009, 05:30 AM) Just one question, does this implementation of wbfs suffer from the same shortcomings as the original/usb-loader one with regards to file system corruption, when you sometimes remove a game somewhere in the middle and then add more? I myself had to format and start over after games started overwriting each other, spreading the misery around--fixing one fucked up another.

om_nous

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Joda,

We have not encountered that bug, if it is a bug in wbfs then it 'could' happen since we are using the wbfs binary. If it eases your mind at all I have done an excessive amount of adding/removing/extracting/renaming on my HDD and have not had a problem.

If there is a bug and a fix is released you can always apply that to the wbfs source included in the zip, build and replace the wbfs in the resources.

Dookieman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
collin said:
joda said:

Posts merged

Dude, seriously, who cares? Stop bothering them about GPL, they know what they are doing.

joda

Trophies
XP
Country
om_nous said:
Joda,

We have not encountered that bug, if it is a bug in wbfs then it 'could' happen since we are using the wbfs binary. If it eases your mind at all I have done an excessive amount of adding/removing/extracting/renaming on my HDD and have not had a problem.

If there is a bug and a fix is released you can always apply that to the wbfs source included in the zip, build and replace the wbfs in the resources.
Thanks for the reply. Good to know.

I did encounter this once, but it might as well have been because of a messed up partition table. I zeroed out the disc completely after that and made sure it got partitioned properly this time--I was just using a drive lying around as is. I guess I'll extract all games and do a little testing then ... =)

Anyways, once more, thanks for an excellent application!

tps2d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured out why I'm able to get 13+MB/sec and only 2-5MB/sec using your application...

Using your newest app:
Code:
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂdisk4ÂÂÂÂÂÂ cpuÂÂÂÂ load average
ÂÂÂÂKB/t tpsÂÂMB/sÂÂus sy idÂÂ 1mÂÂ 5mÂÂ 15m
ÂÂ 19.92ÂÂ32ÂÂ0.63ÂÂ 4ÂÂ3 92ÂÂ0.23 0.16 0.10
ÂÂÂÂ4.00 1537ÂÂ6.01ÂÂ 4 15 80ÂÂ0.37 0.19 0.11
ÂÂÂÂ4.00 1532ÂÂ5.99ÂÂ 3 15 82ÂÂ0.34 0.18 0.10

Using the original wbfs I compiled (without the speed enhancement from the last page) using command:
Code:
$ ./wbfs -p /dev/disk4s1 add MarioKart.iso
Code:
ÂÂ 13.78ÂÂ51ÂÂ0.68ÂÂ 4ÂÂ3 92ÂÂ0.19 0.16 0.10
ÂÂÂÂ4.00 1051ÂÂ4.11ÂÂ 2 10 88ÂÂ0.17 0.16 0.10
ÂÂÂÂ4.00 1056ÂÂ4.13ÂÂ 1 10 88ÂÂ0.16 0.16 0.10

Using that same exact binary, with one small change in the command:
Code:
$ ./wbfs -p /dev/rdisk4s1 add MarioKart.iso
Code:
ÂÂ 12.26ÂÂ61ÂÂ0.73ÂÂ 4ÂÂ3 92ÂÂ0.13 0.15 0.09
ÂÂ128.00 136 16.95ÂÂ 2ÂÂ7 90ÂÂ0.28 0.18 0.10
ÂÂ128.00 111 13.82ÂÂ 3ÂÂ7 90ÂÂ0.26 0.18 0.10
ÂÂ128.00 112 14.00ÂÂ 2ÂÂ8 90ÂÂ0.24 0.17 0.10

Using the binary provided with your application and the "rdisk" instead of "disk":
Code:
ÂÂ 40.26ÂÂ67ÂÂ2.61ÂÂ 4ÂÂ4 92ÂÂ0.21 0.25 0.15
2048.00ÂÂ 7 14.40ÂÂ 2ÂÂ8 89ÂÂ0.20 0.25 0.15
2048.00ÂÂ 7 14.80ÂÂ 2ÂÂ8 90ÂÂ0.18 0.24 0.15

Obviously OS X handles writing to "rdisk" differently than "disk". I'm not really sure why. Any chance you could update your app to use rdisk?

tps2d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great! As you can see, using rdisk with your binary dumps the game to the HD in 2MB chunks. Do you envision that being a problem? It's basically the same speed as the 128KB chunks dumped by the initial ported binary.

toni.belangenani

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Wow, great to see that you guys took the effort to improve this already excellent app! Thanks a lot for making it available for all mac users out there!
yay.gif
As soon as the usb-loader itself is a bit more stable, i'll definately recommend this to some of my friends!

g3power

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
om_nous said:
I did encounter this once, but it might as well have been because of a messed up partition table. I zeroed out the disc completely after that and made sure it got partitioned properly this time--I was just using a drive lying around as is. I guess I'll extract all games and do a little testing then ... =)
I did encounter this, too. At the time I attributed it to the mad killing of the wbfs process I had been doing during the debugging phase. This probably is, and I am very sorry to say that, a fragmentation issue!

QUOTE(tps2d @ Apr 8 2009, 08:55 AM) Obviously OS X handles writing to "rdisk" differently than "disk". I'm not really sure why. Any chance you could update your app to use rdisk?
Silly of me not to think of trying that
blink.gif

encaputxat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
one member of other website says that runs well in his ibook g4, but i don't know why i can't detect my western digital hard drive with my powerbook... a window from finder apears and says me to ignore, inicialize or get it out.

g3power

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
encaputxat said:
one member of other website says that runs well in his ibook g4, but i don't know why i can't detect my western digital hard drive with my powerbook... a window from finder apears and says me to ignore, inicialize or get it out.
Just click "ignore". It should work then, if it has already been processed through init on the command line or on your Wii.

Just connect your usb drive to the Wii and format/init through the USB Loader! (The usual "you will lose all your data" applies.)

If you don't have the device connected to your Mac during boot, but connect it later (!) the message will not come up.

joshysquashy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Many thanks! I think we can proudly say that Mac's have the best software for managing WBFS partitions!

Thanks to everyone involved, I really appreciate it!

om_nous

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
g3power said:
encaputxat said:
Just click "ignore". It should work then, if it has already been processed through init on the command line or on your Wii.

Just connect your usb drive to the Wii and format/init through the USB Loader! (The usual "you will lose all your data" applies.)

If you don't have the device connected to your Mac during boot, but connect it later (!) the message will not come up.

Just to expand upon this some, if you open WBFS for MacOS X before you connect the drive you will not get the error. We intercept the disk before the system can give you that error.

-omi

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
Kudos to the team for this program! Not only are you guys give us Mac users a nice free gift but wrapping it up in a fantastic GUI is just icing on the cake! Thank you guys so much!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1