Competition Time 2: The Designing of a Handheld

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Updated my device a bit (still need to think about the specs):

Front
Prototype3(RED).JPG
Side
Prototype3(RED3).JPG
Back
Prototype3(RED2).JPG

The back is supposed to have a dark-grey sticker with information on it, but I don't really understand how to use this program fully yet. I also still need to add some other buttons/connections. The side uses textured rubber material, so the player has a firm hold on it. The front uses medium-gloss plastic (I plan to make it matte-finish so glare doesn't affect gameplay), while the back uses matte-steel. With the four rubber pads on the back, it can hold the device on a sloped table without sliding off. Uses 3.7V lithium-ion rechargeable 1800mAh replaceable battery.
The links to your images are broken. You might want to fix that.

Mars_x

♥♪!?
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Updated my device a bit (still need to think about the specs):

Front
Prototype3(RED).JPG
Side
Prototype3(RED3).JPG
Back
Prototype3(RED2).JPG

The back is supposed to have a dark-grey sticker with information on it, but I don't really understand how to use this program fully yet. I also still need to add some other buttons/connections. The side uses textured rubber material, so the player has a firm hold on it. The front uses medium-gloss plastic (I plan to make it matte-finish so glare doesn't affect gameplay), while the back uses matte-steel. With the four rubber pads on the back, it can hold the device on a sloped table without sliding off. Uses 3.7V lithium-ion rechargeable 1800mAh replaceable battery.

Here, i'll help:

Prototype3RED.jpg

Prototype3RED3.jpg

Prototype3RED2.jpg

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
Here's my entry :D
HEX

The Device
gallery_174127_492_617328.png
The "old" Details
gallery_174127_492_647059.png
A Video presentation

Since everyone's doing it, here are the "new" specs...
SPECS:

-4-Core 3.0 GHz AMD CPU
-Radeon 6850-H [hendheld] HD
-1GB DDR3 RAM
-4 Swichable "Slots"
-5mp Camera w/ Flash
-3.5 Headphone Jack
-Virtual Surround Speakers
-Gyroscope
-Accelerometer
-Internal 64Gb Memmory
-Optional SD Card Memory
-5" 16:9 AMOLED MultiTouch-Senstive Screen
-IR Sensor
-Bluetooth
-2.4 GHz 802.11b/g Wi-Fi
-Micro Usb Slot
-Dynamic Notification LED

I spent three days on this, and I hope presentation is a part of the criteria.
Just in case if you don't understand:
-Hex = Company's Name
-HexOs = The operating system
-Steam's Big Picture = The new (currently in beta) Steam Menu
-Steam Game Cartridges = A new cartridges full of steam games.
If any questions need to be asked, Just PM me :)

I made a mistake, the SD Card and Volume slider are mixed up. :S

Edit:
-Video towards the end was rushed (because of time management).
-I spent 15 hours creating the object in Cinema 4D
-5 hours rendering
-From here the video was compresed multiple times (You can see the quality loss)
-I made the "notes" using Adobe Flash CS6
So yeah one whole big collaboration of software helped me create this device.

Reactions: 7 people

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
302cq3o.jpg

Individual railgun launchers that shoot depleted uranium shells for getting rid of people who ask for a go.

f2vhn6.jpg

Super hd 9000x9000 screen. Look at those crisp graphics. Dual analogs cause everyone loves analog sticks.Front facing camera for taking pics of YO FACE.

2u557d3.jpg

On the left is a pez dispenser, cause who doesn't love pez sweets? Buttons for launching the railguns and a headphone port.

Specs:
64gb ddr3 ram
5G internet connection
State of the art gfx card
Speakers so you can hear stuff
9.99 ghz cpu

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Mobilophono R1

Specs:
Build in Google Chrome
28.5 GB Ram
4G Internet conenction
GPU Merz RAM 512 GPU Clock 500 MHz
CPU 329 MHz Quad Core
Can make phone calls
Build in MP3/MP4 Player
Radio
And some more surprises :)

AFaj5.png

And one of the surprises is the Cookie Storage :D
You just need to press the PRESS button and the Mobilophono R1 is gonna open itself revealing cookies in it :)
xsK1l.png

The strongest Handheld in the world, but its expensive and not much 3rd party companies won't support it.

Hope u like it guys.
(Veho mine is better)

Reactions: 1 person

Kiaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's my complete entry. The device is called VECTOR.

Device:
VECTOR(4).png

VECTOR(5).png

VECTOR(6).png

VECTOR(7).png

VECTOR(8).png

VECTOR(9).png

9hqeqq.jpg

1zqudj5.png

fkuv10.png

VECTOR(10).png
Numbers:
1: L/R Triggers
2: Analog Stick
3: SELECT Button
4: High Quality Stereo Speakers
5: 640x480 Screen Resolution, 4inches (4:3 Ratio)
6: Parallel LED Lines
7: Standard ABXY Buttons
8: Power/Charge LED Indicator
9: START Button
10: Unique 35mm Game slot
11: Unique USB Input
12: 3.5mm Headphone Jack
13: Volume Up/Down
14: 24mm SD Card Slot
15: POWER/Home/Resume Key
16: Rubber Pads
17: Battery Cover with information
SPECS:
ARM Cortex-A9 Processor
SGX543MP4 GPU Quad-Core
2GB RAM
Stereo Speakers
640x480 Screen Resolution, 4inches (4:3 Ratio) Multi-Touch
3.5mm Headphone Jack
SD Card slot
35mm Game slot
L/R Triggers
Standard Four Key Buttons & Circle Pad
2.4Ghz 802.11b/g/n Wireless Connection
Unique 19mm micro USB slot
Built-in 32GB Flash Memory
1GB NAND Memory (System files)
Bluetooth 2.1
Gryoroscope Controls
5.2V Lithium-ion 1800mAh Rechargable Battery
Features:
- Open Source Menu (Customizable to however you want the menu layout to look and function, even in 3-Dimensional maneuver)
- Parallel LED Lines [Changes color flows during gameplay (Timing and color will be programmed by game developers] Increases tension of gameplay
- Wireless media transfer (Can transfer any files through internal file browser with built-in Bluetooth/WiFi; Can also transfer your custom menu layouts to connected devices/online database server for others to view/download)
- Supports Android installation

The point of this new portable gaming device is to impact the player in a new way. This device uses the Parallel LED Lines to integrate with the gameplay.

Examples:
- During a boss fight, the LED lines will flow to the color RED.
- While upgrading a weapon, when the process fails and the weapon breaks, the LED lines will flash briefly.
- When using a powerful skill, the LED lines will flow into various colors.

Basically, the LED lines are used to impact the gamer to increase tension of gameplay. User has the option to turn the feature off in menu.

Reactions: 2 people

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gaming has changed quite a bit over the last 20 years, we've gone from points in which this was considered the best in graphics, to this.
Times when the idea of swinging a controller like a sword was only something someone too into the game would do.
And even taken gaming from 2D sprites on an 8-Bit background to true 3D that are nearly living and breathing.

However, one thing has never changed for handhelds.

Controls.

Now sure, with a console you can just buy a 3rd party controller.

A PC you can just remap the keys.

But handhelds have never changed.

Your buttons are welded into the console and set in stone.

Thats how its always been...

Till today.

I would like to introduce you to a little friend of mind. He's called...
gallery_272004_850_98418.jpg

Core is much unlike any console on the market.

Its a console designed to give the gamer full control over almost every aspect of not only the consoles software, but its hardware too. And in an easy and safe way that even a young child could handle with the proper instruction.

To begin, lets look over Core's hardware shall we?
gallery_272004_850_212886.jpg

Core is packing quite a bit of power for such a small device. Its built using some of the best technology used in not only game consoles, but Netbooks, Tablets and Smartphones too. I wont stack all the super technical stuff like RPMs and manufacturer (besides these can all be found in the instruction manual)

Heres an overview of what this puppy is packing. (Dont worry, theres also a simplified terms in [,] next to each!)

CPU- 1.5 GHZ dual core processor (ARM based) [Pretty much everything your device does and how fast it does it, dont worry, we got a good one!]
GPU- Kyoware custom IRIS GPU [For your graphical prosessing, it pretty much makes everything look all pretty on that nice ol screen!]
Screen- 5 inch, AMOLED, true HD (1080p), multi-touch screen. [This is how you see all the hardwork the GPU does, oh and you can touch stuff]
Bluetooth 2.1 radio [You know how your in a store and you see a guy talking to himself but hes not really because he turns and you see a little gadget in his ear. This is pretty much what lets him do that. You can also use it for transferring files and such]
16 GB Flash storage [Honestly, why are you buying this is you dont know what this is >_>]
KyoWave 1.4 Radio (for local multiplayer) [Its faster then bluetooth and a bit more versitile. This is what you use to play with your friends on the bus or co-workers]
and 1 GB RAM. [You know how you hate it when you have to wait like 10 minutes for stuff to happen on your computer? This makes 10 minutes, 6 seconds.]

All in all, with the in-box Expansions on the console isnt much larger then a Playstation Vita (give or take 6 or 7 CM)

Core has only 5 input methods. the HUB, up and down Volume and the POWER cover button (pressing on the battery cover for 2 seconds powers on, 3 seconds to power down, with an on-screen confirmation, and a quick double tap will put it in sleep) and touch screen (you could also count the gyroscope and mic but lets stay on point shall we?)

Not much for a gaming console right? It doesnt have to be! Thanks to 3 magical ports on the sides and bottom of the console. These are the PEGASUS PORTS. These allow the Core to use small input/output modules called Expansions.

gallery_272004_850_453000.jpg

This is where we change the game.

By including the expansions Core is a massively versatile console. No longer must you suffer with flat-out stupid controls that were put in by designers at 2:00 AM when they just wanted to get home! Nor faulty buttons that make Dollar Store toys look like well designed projects! Nor do you have to ship your console back to corporate for something as stupidly simple as a stuck trigger! With Expansions your able to operate on a much more personalized level without the need for hardware mods or custom orders!

Now you might be thinking "Thats it? Thats your ace in the hole Kyoware?! BWAHAHAHA, ILL JUST USE MY iContropad FOR THAT CRAP!"

Well our first response would be "Shut up, you casual gaming fan-boy!"

Then we would tell you that the PEGASUS PORTS arent only used for cheap I/O ports, but also have direct connections to the Internal storage, This means you can effectively upgrade your handheld without any sort of hardware engineering knowledge what-so-ever! In fact, you might never even have to buy a new handheld, seeing how all you have to do is just buy an new Expansion to boost your specs!

Along with that we also have a special Dock Expansion for seperate purchase for Core, this Dock allows you to quickly change your Core from a lite handheld to a meaty home console.

gallery_272004_850_10767.jpg

It is serves as a charger and has a direct HDMI outlet and boosts Cores signal radius by about 2 times (both Bluetooth and KyoWave), and has a separate 512 MB RAM unit inside with a extra 16 GB. Along with that it features 2 USB ports and 4 (two on each side) PEGASUS PORTS.

But I think thats enough about Core's Hardware, lets talk about the Software...

gallery_272004_850_154388.jpg

Core runs on Kyoware's Myth Operating System (or MythOS) out of the box, however, this can be changed to ANY custom firmware, kernal, or even change the OS altogether (just be sure that it has the ability to read .COR files or you wont be able to play any games for the handheld)

gallery_272004_850_107801.jpg

When you first boot up MythOS your going to see the HUB. This is sort of the central station for all information going on, from the HUB you can use the "Dial" to navigate menus. Or access Kyoware's online service, UNION with your Avatar. Check out what your buds are doing via Notification bar or just quickly jump to a certian area using the System button.

The HUB is fully themable. You can even move or replace entire sections of the HUB with no worry (the system button can not by any means be deleted. If you want to lock yourself out of your console then use debug mode.)

The HUB's System button allows you to even launch MythOS in de-bug mode. This means things like terminal access, deletion of the System button and many other things.

Kyoware's UNION service is as versatile as the OS itself. A developer can create an API to use on our service, allowing you to connect nearly ANY account to your UNION account. Its like your Facebook account, on friggin crack!

The UNION service also features a Shop. Here you can buy Games, Music, Videos, DLC, Apps and even Mods! And its all saved to you UNION account for access on both PC, Core and any future consoles that may come to fruition.

All in all, Core is all about choice. Its from the simple things such as swaping a modern control scheme for a more retro one, or making your own custom API, Kyoware is challenging the old "Lock it down!" method, in favor for a more mature and easier to move in to Gaming experience. In fact, its Gaming which powers the heart of Core. Everything built into Core is to ensure that not only the big guys get to make cool games, but so do the indie crowds or aspiring devs. Core is gaming gone back to its roots, its origin. Its Core, If you will.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hello.

My concept might be a bit too advanced to compete with the Vita/3DS but it's neat. Also, it's a bit late to compete with the 3DS or Vita, as you're already two years behind. The next handheld shouldn't look to compete with older tech, it should look one step further. Also, in order to compete these days your thingy has to have stuff you couldn't do with a phone, so I went in a different direction.

It's called the Mvr.

c6e9g.jpg

The headset is an Oculus Rift-type 3D VR headset. It has motion/tilt sensing and follows the movements of your head, and "plonks" you straight into a virtual scene where you can look around by moving your head. In games, this motion translates into the camera controls on top of the usual (controller/mouse) camera controls, so that you can look around freely, but don't have to look around in order to turn (the aim control would still be tied to the analog by default; ultimately, the control scheme is up to the user).

The resolution doesn't have to be HD, but 800x600 per eye would be nice. The Oculus Rift has these nonlinear image warping lenses that concentrate the most pixels right in front of your eyes, and have a lower resolution on the periphery (human peripheral vision can't discern fine details so it's a shame to waste precious pixels on areas you can't really see well), which gives the illusion of a much higher resolution.

The front side of the headset features a 3D camera and a Leap Motion sensor pad. The headset can act as regular glasses, augmented reality (information overlayed over the camera feed) or full VR. The Leap Motion sensor follows your hands, and can scan objects/surfaces/surroundings in 3D.

Built-in microphone.

The handheld part houses the CPU/GPU/RAM/internal memory. I'm not familiar with the latest processor/graphics tech so I won't give any names or numbers, they would just be silly. Also includes memory card reader, WiFi, 3/4G, the usual.

The analog nub placements are modular; you can take out an analog nub and replace it with a trackball. It's a thing now. I wouldn't make it obligatory but definitely give people that possibility.

The headset and controller/main module communicate wirelessly (there can be a cheaper, wired option). The more expensive version would still include optional wired communication, to prolong battery life.

As for the battery, it would use this tech or similar. Ten times the capacity per volume of current lithium-ion batteries, with much shorter charging times.

There's also a stylus. It's not obligatory. You use it to "write" on any flat surface. The console would use a method similar to the PS Move to gauge the position and distance of the stylus (the stylus would have a huge glowing pink butt), and combine it with the Leap Motion data to get accurate position and orientation, and track the movement of the stylus. Touch can be communicated via an IR diode in the stylus that lights up when you press the stylus tip. In AR mode, your scribbles will be overlayed on the surface you wrote them on. Technically, a stylus is not necessary, but why not. The stylus slots into the controller.

I toyed with the idea of the glasses and controller slotting together into one package but dropped it because of the issues with their respective sizes and shapes.

Here are the more or less finished designs. There are two variants, a "cool" and sleek, "Apple lawsuit waiting to happen" one, and a more industrial Terminator-y one. The sleek version conceals everything in a smooth housing and behind a glass panel that really does nothing but conceal the cameras and Leap sensors, and looks cool. Imagine it in black or some dark metallic shades (you wouldn't be able to see a thing on the sketch if it were dark so I left it white-ish).

SoCvX.jpg

The second variant on the other hand flaunts the tech and the components. Everything is adjustable and brimming with Allen screws and matte plastic. Those wavy things at the right of the side view are elastic bands (think skiing goggles). The design aesthetic is pretty much lifted wholesale from the Saitek/Mad Catz Cyborg Rat mouse. Think "military / cyborg / night vision goggles / I never asked for this," and the sketch doesn't quite convey it because I can't really draw. You'll have to imagine it yourselves. And while you're imagining, imagine some letters and numbers and scales and gauges, and maybe a targeting reticule around one of the cameras.

BaMEl.jpg

(You'll also have to imagine shoulder buttons on both controllers.)

The controller contours mirror the contours of the headset (a bit). I didn't do any more work on the stylus because it's, well, a stylus. Not much to do with it.

Of course, it's inevitable this will be compared with the Virtual Boy, but the poor thing was 15 years too early and today's level of tech can address the (many, many) issues it had. It can be made to work today. Oculus Rift is generating a lot of interest, Google Glass is in the works, Apple has patented their version of AR glasses, it seems the future is full of things you stick on your head and stare into.

Additional features:

The tech makes a lot of stuff possible, it's up to the software how it should be used. Media player, 3D camera, 3D movie capture, voice chat, 3D modelling software (VR sculpting), whatever.

WiFi means you could access OnLive or other streaming services. OnLive wouldn't have 3D or VR support, but it would expand the library of potential titles.

Additional HDMI-to-wireless (or just a cable) module that lets you stream video from your console/PC/media player to the glasses, in 3D. This would be an added incentive to get the system. Again, no native VR support but several games developers are already working on adding Oculus Rift support to their titles so full VR in newer titles is a possibility.

Full HD screens!
Pulse measuring!
Mind reading!
Galvanic vestibular stimulation!
Magnets!
And more!

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The TapeWorm. Gaming that grows on you.
gallery_109594_291_3344.png

Specs:
CPU: Duel-core intel Atom
RAM: 1GB
Internal Storage: 2GB (expandable to 128 scxd micro sd)
Media: Internal Storage (download only)
Screen: 4.3 inch AMOLED HD touch screen
Connectivity: 3G/4G/LTE with supported carriers (Pay as you go with prepaid cards)/Wifi
Camera:Duel 8 Megapixel
Built in speakers and 3.5mm headphone jack
Duel li-on 3000 mAH batteries

Controls: Dpad, two touch circle pads, 4 button (red blue green yellow), L and R analog/click, and l2 r2 click.
Touch screen
Gyroscope and accelerometer onboard.

Software:
Firmware: Modified Android with Mobile Steam support and its own special version of the store. Only apps modified specifically for Tapeworm can be installed.

Features:
Duel Batteries- Lasts twice as long as any other handheld. While this makes the portable a bit less portable, it will last much much longer. The system tells you which battery its using (one or two) and how much of both you have left.
Custom Store:All the games are stored on your device. No switching carts or disks. The store lets you browse official exclusive games for the Tapeworm, as well as demos, DLC, comics, media, and ported Android titles like Angry Birds.
Other Tapeworm specific apps: Because TW is new, apps will be ported as time goes on. The TW launches with support for Netflix, Hulu+, Youtube,Facebook, and some others.
Custom Internet Browser: Takes advantage of the specific processor and connection to browse faster than any phone or gaming device. Surf the web and type with the onscreen advanced AI typing asset keyboard.

Online/Social Gaming:
Pay as you go cards: To play online, you have to buy cards with a code that allows you to access the online services.
Gaming with friends: Online, or Salmonella, is how you can play across the internet with friends. Just pick up Salmonella cards and play with your infected friends. How do you get friends? Spread the infection.
Local play (Quarantine mode): Lets you Brofist other gamers to open connections to play games locally. Up to 16 local Tapeworms can be connected.
Worldwide (Airborne mode): You must have a PAYG internet connection card first, as well as an internet connection (3G/4G/Wifi) to play with other Airborne gamers.
Building a friends list:You can get friends one of two ways. The first, if you know someones name, you can search for them and add them. The second takes advantage of BroFist. Whats BroFist? Read on.

Brofist:
Basically its a cool way of opening Bluetooth connections. To become infect someone (become friends and add them to your friends list) tap the BF button on the side of the TW to put it into BroFist mode. Then give your friend a knuckle bump with your Tapeworms and boom! You are both infected.
So what all is BF mode good for? Not only adding friends, but other things too. The biggest thing is pairing with other Blue tooth enabled devices. Like wireless headphones (included), BT keyboards, etc.

Other Features:
Take your TW with you! If you happen to pass other people with a Tapeworm you can gain points towards feeding your tapeworm. Have your TW in scan mode (standby) to play.
Pandemic: Passes your system ID to anyone that you pass. That person is now a carrier of your virus (system id) and passes it to anyone they come in contact with. You get more points the more people contract your virus.
Zombie: Us at TW headquarters will pick a specific user to be a zombie. Enable your TW to play. The players must keep their Wifi on and not pass any zombies or you'll be infected. Game ends after a specific time limit. Depending on your area, you might not be able to compete.

Fluto

A potato in disguise
Trophies
XP
Country
After seeing this ^
Im going to improve my handheld.

Isn't that against the rules?
everyones been doing it *shrug, ill just link to my original post, and edit that.

@Mezut360.

Don't change the design of your handheld + leave steam out of the picture.
I'd ista-buy it!

Oh, too late, im uploading now.

... And here it is on my original post.
http://gbatemp.net/topic/334098-competition-time-2-the-designing-of-a-handheld/page__st__135__p__4404469#entry4404469

Acetonide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So there's been a lot of entries lately as the deadline is pretty much upon us.. But most of them are pretty similar to devices around now.. Actually mine is too. >.>;; There's a few creative ideas but I'm not sure they're done well, and then some which are done really well..
I already sent in my entry much earlier via pm (while Hadrian was still accepting entries) but because I couldn't do what I wanted this weekend I ended up designing another handheld device just for fun.. It's not a serious entry (obviously, and lacks many specs and I didn't even bother to include speakers, volume control, on/off buttons, or a headphone jack in the diagram) but more of a "Here's something semi-creative I came up with.. What does everyone think?" sort of thing.. Please excuse the poor images, I only have MS paint since my laptop died so yeah.. My actual entry was done in paint too. >.<:
So.. Please let me know what you think of it? >.<;

1. Thumb Nubs
2. Trigger Button
3. Capacitive Touchscreen w/ Tactile Layer
4. Action Buttons (3)
5. Home/Start/Select Buttons
6. D-Pad (opposite from thumb nubs)
7. Connector (attached to the controls, allows for 360 degree rotation of controls; screen can slide into place and rotate 360 degrees for better viewing)
8. Top of screen to show example of how it connects to the controls

Crytonide is proud to introduce the RotoMobo (Rotatable Mobile; working name). It sports a 6 inch widescreen (16:9) with capacitive touch capabilties and a tactile layer. The controls each have a three-axis accelerometer and three-axis gyroscope for motion sensing as does the touchscreen. They controls can bee rotated 360 degrees for a more comfortable grip while you play, and the screen can tint up and down 360 degrees so you won't have bend your wrists to play comfortably. It has a D-Pad on the bottom of the controls so you can rotate it and use that if you prefer (we are rethinking the trigger design to better fit with the D-Pad). The screen can be connected either horizontally or vertically for games in profile view, and because the screen can be detached you can just bring that with you for games that don't require the controls.

On the back side there is a 12 mp digital camera and microphone. It features two headphone jacks (one on the side and one on the bottom) so you can use headphones how ever you connect your controls. The controls are wireless and connect via bluetooth so if someone were to develop something like a boxing game players could remove the screen and actually punch to interact with the controls (we advise against doing so while in public for safety reasons).

It charges through an inductive charger we have included and has 100GB internal flash memory, and is expandable via microsd card. It also features a mini usb port for data transfer and back-ups onto a computer (Windows, Linux, and Mac compatible).

And then below is the actual entry I sent in.. I'm posting it here just in case something went wrong. >.>; The information is written more like I'm presenting it to a board of directors or something.. Let me know what you think about this too.. I think it's kind of common place though.. ._.''

Here is my entry for 'Competition Time 2: The Designing of a Handheld'

It is the Crytonide Alpha (Crytonide is the company name, Alpha is the handheld device).

I have included links to the image, a .docx describing it, a .pdf copy of it (slightly outdated) for those who can't open .docx, and a zip containing everything.

ZIP
PDF
docx

Also, just in case.. I have included a BBCode version of the information below.

Introduction
Nintendo's 3DS and Sony's Vita rely heavily on big series, and exclusive titles for their sales and profit. Since Crytonide is a relatively new company, we do not have that luxury. Instead we intend to rely on our user base, hobbyists, and developers who want to do some programming in their spare time.

We believe in two concepts, two concepts which most companies tend to stray from because for some reason. First is accessibility and openness. Originally we planned to have the handheld's operating system as open source, but in after some thought we decided it left us open to too many vulnerabilities. Instead we will sell the device with a Software Development Kit (SDK) that will allow programmers to access all the hardware of our system. That way for anyone unsatisfied with the software and applications available from us for our system, they can make their own or look to the user base. Second is customizability and compatibility. I have never understood why developers don't understand that people want to be able to change and edit everything to their exact preferences, or why they don't understand that all things should work together and be user friendly. We intend to have web browser allow with flash and shockwave support, along with anything else we can manage to fit in, from Android to Steam. We will allow you to change the look of your desktops as much as possible, and even allow you to add in your own graphics and pictures.

This document will go over the specifics of our hardware and design, followed by our software, and all the systems and features we intend to include. When you finish reading this, you should understand the features of our device, how we intend to make any profits from this system, and what we intend to do to combat piracy of our games.

Hardware
Our device is designed to be a fold open dual screen handheld. However the top screen also splits from the bottom. They are connected through a unique connection to ensure stability and fast data transfer, but they can also communicate wirelessly via Bluetooth. This design brings several new options to the table. First, it can give a "console" like feel to those who want it because the top screen can be separated and stand alone, and the wireless communication allows for other players with our device to join in. Secondly, it allows for two people to play together with a single device (although the controls would differ between them). Lastly, for those who need a smaller and more portable device, they can simply bring one of the two halves with them depending on what they needed. Each one can run independently of each other.

The top screen boasts a full QWERTY keyboard and trackball for those who want to use the device more for browsing and surfing, or for computer based games. Its touchscreen is also better for handling with fingers, but also works well with special styli and brushes for the more artistic. For those who want to use it as a MP3 player on the go, the headphone jack is placed on the side so it can fit comfortable in your pocket. It is also the half that is more ideal for internet browsing, wireless communication, and the only side with a microphone.

The bottom half is the more traditional gaming device with a more common gaming touchscreen. It also takes advantage of eInk technology for those who want to read on the go instead. The D-Pad, Input Buttons, and Analog Nubs can all be removed and switched so you can configure your controls however you'd like. It also has two touchpads to replace the triggers of more console controllers. (The touchpads were taken out to avoid a potential lawsuit with Sony or having to pay to use their copyright.) Because triggers could not be added a second set of shoulder buttons were added.

Both
Internal
- 512 MB VRAM, 1GB RAM
- Dual Core ARM Cortex-A15 MPCore
- SGX544MP4 (4 core) Graphics (I'm not sure, I really want to say something from PowerVR's Series 6 but I can't find out much information about those)
Connectivity
- Bluetooth 4.0 Capability
- Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n)(2.4 and 5 GHz)
Data & Storage
- Two (2) Micro SD Card Slots (SDXC & SDHC Compatible)
- One (1) Mini USB Port (For Charging & Data Transfer)
Other
- Lithium-ion polymer battery (No exact mAh without being able to test device; intend to last a minimum of 6-10 hours depending on settings)

Top Screen
Storage
- 32 GB Flash Memory
Display
- 5.5 " Capacitive HD Super AMOLED Touchscreen (1024 x 480) (Widescreen)
Input
- Full Slide-out QWERTY Keyboard
- Trackball
- Power
- Volume (+/-)
- Built-in Microphone
Camera
- Internal .3 MP Camera
- x2 Optical Zoom; x12 Digital Zoom External 3 MP Camera

Bottom Screen
Storage
- 16 GB Flash Memory
Display
- 5" eInk Multi-touch enabled Resistive Touchscreen (4:3)
Input
- Three-Axis Gyroscope
- Three-Axis Accelerometer
- D-Pad (Removable)
- Four (4) Action Buttons (Removable)
- Two (2) Analog Nubs (Removable)
- Start/Home/Select Buttons
- Four (4) Shoulder Buttons (Two left & two right)
- Power
- Volume (+/-)
Camera
- External .3 MP Camera
Other
- Wireless Charging Station (inductive charging) & Top Screen Dock
- Ear buds
- 4GB Micro SD Card
- USB Micro SD Card Reader/Adapter
- Mini USB to USB Wire

Perpetuals & Accessories
- Headphones
- Bluetooth for PC w/ software (so bottom can be used with computer)
- Carrying Pouch
- Styli & Brushes for drawing programs (Capacitive touchscreen enabled)
- Augmented Reality Cards
- Desk Projector

Operating System
Our operating system works on several levels because of the detachable screens. They will be detailed in the diagrams included. Here I will explain some of the basic features we include and plan to implement. Obviously it will have a real time clock which games can access, and it can access games to record various game data to share it, along with tracking achievements and other things. You will be able to create an avatar which will represent you and can appear in certain games that utilize the avatar system. Your avatar can be created from a picture of yourself, or it can be built from scratch using various models and accessories. Either way, users can customize it to their liking afterwards or buy more accessories from our shop. It will also act as a pedometer if set to do so while the device is in sleep mode. We were planning to implement something similar to Nintendo's 'Street Pass' but after the court's decision in favor of Apple we decided we didn't want a long drawn out battle in court that we were likely to lose, so the feature was removed. We may add it in again later after we review all the potential conflicts and discuss it with legal, but our first priority right now is having a working and well-designed system, rather than all the little extras in our software that don't contribute to the game play. Of course it will also allow basic file operations (copy, cutting, deleting, renaming, etc.) so users can move their files as they like. We will have a Desktop and allow two levels of folders beyond that (a folder on the desktop, and a subfolder within that).

You can also connect to your existing social networking and social media websites to share information. It will do everything (with permission) from sharing Achievements to notifying you of up-coming events and birthdays. If your friends allow it, it can even retrieve personal information from your friends automatically and add it to your handheld's contact list.

When separated the bottom screen (with the D-pad) can be operated by the thumb-nubs, the D-pad, or the touchscreen. The top screen can be navigated using the touchscreen or the keyboard and roller-ball. More details over how the OS works and looks are detailed in the diagram.

Applications
Free Apps
Gaming App
This is the main application which is required to run any games we sell in our shop. It will record various information (pedometer, online time, total playing time, birthday, name etc) which can be integrated into various games. This is also the application which regulates the DRM in our games.
Drawing App
- Supports creating own palettes, animated gifs, pngs, bmps, jpgs, layers, filters, smart selection, & background eraser
- Also touchscreen & pressure sensitive for coloring and shading
- Can buy additional brushes to use with this app
Notepad App
Basic Notepad app for text files or for writing on touchscreen using pngs or jpgs
Media Player App
Supports mp3, flac, wav, wma, wmv, avi, mkv, mp4, flv
eBook Reader App
Reads txt, pdf, mobi, pdf, ps, djvu, tiff, dvi
Web Browser
A basic web browser with support for cookies, HTML5, JavaScript, Shockwave and Adobe Flash
Instant Messenger
A basic instant messenger for sending messages to friends
Camera Apps
To go with our cameras we have an App with several functions
- Allows taking pictures
- Allows recording of video
- Face detection, head detection, & head tracking

Paid Apps
VOIP App
This app is more or less pointless because it's not as if we can compete with Skype or Google Voice, but until they have it working on our device we figured we would make a small app for this. There would be a one-time fee to allow you to contact those on your friend's list.
Game Making App
This is a more beginner friendly program intended for hobbyist who may not know how to program. It is essentially a drag-and-drop/WYSIWYG game maker that also supports some C++ and ruby scripting. It allows importing many graphic formats including jpg, png, gif, and bmp along with animated gifs. It also supports music in different formats and videos (.avi and .ogv) for cut-scenes or movies included with the game. Games can then be exported and run on our systems, or uploaded to our User Shop (detailed below) and be sold for a price set by the developer.

Music Making App (2)
We intend to start off by selling two music making applications. They are detailed below.
1. Loop based - This is a music application aimed more towards beginners. It will include many popular loops and sounds which users can string together to make patterns, longer loops, or songs. Users can also record their own using the built in mic, and it supports exporting files in several formats including .ogg, .mp3, and .wav.
2. Writing Music - This is intended for professionals. It is a music composition and notation tool, and comes with many instruments so that they can test and hear what they right performed. It also allows exporting in many formats, including their sheets of music and the sound as performed by the included instruments.

Music Editing App
Currently we have plans to sell an application for editing music for a cheaper price. Mostly it would be able to affect pitch, frequency, and tone among other things. We may also include a feature to encode and change file formats, but we're somewhat hesitant to do so at this time.

Launch Games
When we launch our system the games we have available is very important to draw in many initial users. Since we are a new company we will depend heavily on good reviews and word of mouth in order to draw in more customers. Below is a brief description of the games we intend to have out when we launch our system. Besides the ones listed, we also intend to include various mini-games and puzzles games, some of which will be free, for more casual gamers and people who aren't interested in the games we have when we launch our system along with free books (although our library will be somewhat limited). We have other games planned, but they are things we intend to grow into franchises which will take longer to develop as we will need to create an entire world with complexities beyond what we have time for now.

1. 2.5D Brawler/Platformer (with RPG & MMO elements) - This is our flagship and what we hope will draw in the most players. Essentially it's a brawling platformer with stats you can build. It will have a small single player campaign and PvP (player versus player) style game play for local wireless communication which will also allow Player v. CPU games for bonus items. On top of that we will also have a dedicated server for players to go online and play with their friends which will be PvE (Player versus environment) exclusively. Stats they build and some items they obtain offline will be transferable to the online game and vice versa. (Online gameplay will be free with various (optional) items that require real money.)
2. Cartoonish Vehicular Combat & Racing - This will be rely on the standard OS heavily as it will use your avatar as your character, although for those who wish to replace their OS (we may allow this eventually) there will also be avatars they can use which will be less customizable. It will include racing on land, water, in the air, and under water. Games will be customizable (from just being a free-for-all combat, to racing, to teams, to special end time features) and players can design their own levels using a level builder we will include with the game which can be uploaded and shared with the community.
3. First Person Shooter - This is basic first person shooter which will feature different environments and time periods which you can go between. Each time period will have unique weapons, accessories, and clothing suitable to the time. It will feature an offline campaign for single player or local wireless co-op, and PvP. Players will not be able to level up or gain stats, but instead their ranking will go up based on how well they do, and they will be able to obtain money to purchases different items they can use in PvP games or for online campaigns. For online play we will have a server for an exclusive online co-op campaign which will traverse through all the time periods and will allow players to use any equipment they obtain through the game or in offline play. (Online gameplay will be free with various (optional) items that require real money.)
4. Basic Avatar Based Sports - We will have various mini-games and sports games that utilize all the features of our device (dual-touch screens, motion sensing, and gyroscope) for everything from racing to snowboarding, to rowing. This is intended for more casual gamers.
5. Any big name series we can get - At this time we haven't had any developers get back to us yet after looking at our SDK and hardware, but if any of them develop something we will release their game alongside our system if it was finished and extension testing has been done.

eShop
User Shop
The user shop is a place where users can freely upload applications, games, pictures, music, and other things they have developed for our device. They can either be free or they can charge others to purchase it from the shop. Items with a set price will be increased by 10% to 25% depending on the price which will be the profit our company receives for this service of providing a shop. Any well-developed application or game may also be accepted and sold in our official shop.

Company Shop
This is where we will make the majority of our profits outside of selling out hardware. It will be where users can purchase their games and apps. It will also be the place where we sell items to customize your avatar.

Website
Besides our eShop we will also create a website our customers can visit on any computer. Users will be required to register their system and connect it to their data from the device before they can make any purchases. Besides having our shop on the site, we will also have forums for users to discuss their development projects, and improvements they want to see in our system. It will also be a place where they can see games they've purchased and where they can get their games again as a back-up in case they decide to delete something or lose a game through data corruption. It will also feature high scores and other user data and will be the place we will announce gaming competitions. Of course we will also announce new games and developments in our company. We may also include special freebies and exclusives and may also free online games you can only get from visiting our site. Our intention is to draw users to our site to provide additional ad revenue.

We also plan to host some MMOs on our website, some of which will be browser based to attract more people to our website, even if they don't own our handheld device. To make it these games appealing to our customers with our device, they will also feature some offline mini-games or short campaigns exclusive to the handheld which allows players to earn items for their character to use online. Of course these MMOs will be free to play but will have some items which require real money to purchase. We are also considering testing out MMOs which are free to play up to an extent, but require a monthly subscription for further access and MMOs which require a single purchase to access the game.

Profits
We look to gain revenue from three main sources. The first source is obviously selling our handheld device. Unfortunately, most of our income will come from this, and most of the other sources rely on selling the device. Secondly, we will sell games and applications from our Shop. We can sell them for a lower price because we can cut out all the hardware, packaging, and shipping costs to put our product within stores, but this also limits our customer's access to shopping online either from our handheld or from a computer. Third, we will have some revenue from people subscribing to our online gaming servers. We will have some games which you can play online for free and some services and our eShop can be accessed by anyone of course, but our most popular games which require more servers and space will require a subscription (A single monthly or yearly fee to allow access to all gaming servers). In addition, we will also see some gains from advertising on our website and fees we gain from people selling items in our user based shop. We will also be selling various accessories for our handheld within stores, such as styli and replacement parts.

Anti-Piracy
Each system will have a unique code built into its hardware, and the gaming app will use it too. When you buy a game (from eShop from system) or from your online account each game will generate a matching code. If the game lacks a matching code then will not run. DRM free games will be available for a higher cost. Accounts on our website will only allow up to two (2) systems to be registered under an account and games downloaded from there can be shared between the systems. Occasional updates to games and software will occur which will hopefully help also. We understand this system isn't the best option, and will eventually be subverted nonetheless, but this is currently the best option we've come up with. Obviously since we are selling our games online they will be region free.

Scrapped
Detachable Parts
This is a good idea except small parts are easy to lose, especially when we are marketing towards all gamers, casual and more standard ones. It would bring a new level of customizability which more hardcore gamers would love, but at the same time having many separate parts would bring more potential problems in developing the hardware, trying to fit in all the components, and the younger market we are also aiming for may lose them. Making the parts cheap enough where losing one or two and replacing them wouldn't be a big deal would require a huge drop in the quality in materials used which we decided against. Below is a list of the components planned originally before this idea was dropped. It's a shame, because we really liked the idea, especially because it also meant that people could design their own custom device from the available parts and then order one made for them exclusively.

Slide out Keyboard - The design is very similar to the current keyboard, except it could be completely removed and one could fit it onto either screen.
eInk Touch Screen - It is exactly like the current eInk touchscreen but we were also planning to sell a separate larger version for those who wanted to use it as a eReader also. Since all our titles are to be downloaded, this screen is especially helpful for giving the user a feel like they own a manual to go with their game.
LCD Touch Screen - This is exactly like the current design also. It could be completely removed for those who wanted a smaller device for more casual gaming, similar to one may expect on a touchscreen phone.
(2) Speakers - There were several designs for these including the current version we settled on for our device that we're marketing. The idea was that they could be separated if you just wanted to use our headphones, or you could stand them up for a more 'surround sound' experience.
D-Pad & Joystick Nub & L Shoulder Button - This was designed so it could be removed and attached to either the eInk or the LCD screen for a standalone device. It was intended to go with the Action Button attachment.
4 Action Buttons & Joystick nub & R Shoulder Button - This was designed to go with the D-Pad attachment. As with the other one, it was intended to go with either the eInk or the LCD screen to make a more portable device for single screen games.
Ergonomic Sides - Rounded D-Pad & Action button sides for more comfortable play for hardcore gamers who may play for more hours.
Lower Touchscreen with "Tactile Layer" - It would allow the screen to create the feel of buttons and switches which would have been ideal for out file browser and it presented many possibilities for gaming also. Imagine feeling the resistance of a sword when you're in a fight or the weight of the hockey puck as you push it across the ice.

Other parts were planned which were to be sold later or made by 3rd party companies which will not be detailed here.

3G Connectivity
This idea was scrapped because of the unstable 3G networks within the US at this time. Although Sony decided to market their 'Vita' with it as an option, we decided to leave it out to reduce the price of the device and the price of our manufacturing costs. We felt that although it may be more common than wifi in the future, at this time it wasn't practical to put it into use.

Cartridge based DRM-free
We played with the idea for selling a cartridge with games or a disc of some kind much as Nintendo or Sony does, but we eventually settled on only selling our games and software online. It gave us more room to include other features when we took out the required space to read data on a unique medium; it also allows easier access for the most part. What we settled on allows anyone to download a game from any computer and then transfer it onto their device, or if they wished they could simply download a game straight from their device.

Larger & Lite Versions
This idea was scrapped due to financial limitations. We wanted to have two versions with different features to be released aimed towards two different goals, but in trying to keep within our projections we kept to one design. Originally the larger version was designed with two things in mind, one, a portable device that is similar to a console and two, a larger device for more casual gamers and people interested in eReaders. The lite version was intended to be aimed towards people constantly on the go who still want to play their games on the go. It would have fewer features but would be much smaller and lighter. It was intended to fit in the average pocket. (We feel that of the recent handheld devices most do not fit into the pocket well, with the NDS Lite being the best).

Collapsible Disc
This was another concept for a 'Lite' version. It was essentially an ellipse that would slide apart to reveal the screen in the middle. Early sketches of the concept are included with the diagrams included. This was a very early concept before the dual screens idea was adopted. We decided this idea was interesting and saved space, while providing comfortable controls during playtimes, but overall it wouldn't work well enough to compete with the current market.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: y