Comparing Retail Disc, Dios Mios, and Devolution

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by conanac, Jul 15, 2012.

Jul 15, 2012
  1. conanac
    OP

Member conanac Be an Angel

United States
    I am interested to know about the pros/cons of playing gamecube games by using different applications. The main idea is perhaps to help developers of each application to see the comparisons and then figure-out how to make their applications better.

To start with I made a video comparing the playing of Pokemon Channel with retail disc, Dios Mios (within UNEEK+DI), and Devolution (with sample loader). It seems that Dios Mios cannot load or process the files quick enough while Devolution displays some color/texture issues.

Hope this could trigger further refinements to either Dios Mios or Devolution.

Cheers.

[yt]YJ7weoJjfPU[/yt]

2. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    A very interesting comparison. Perhaps Pokemon isn't the best example...I actually haven't seen that long loading times in any other game I tried with DML or DM.

Haven't messed around enough with devolution to notice these kinds of artefacts. But some (like those white overlays on the red cheeks of Pickachu) are kinda funny. :P

3. wiismodrome

Member wiismodrome flubber

Seychelles
    In theory, Devolution could offer slightly better performance in some games due to the 1.5 x increase in CPU/GPU speed compared to GC mode. In practice, I've found that, compared to DIOS MIOS update 5, Devolution took a lot longer to load Zelda Ocarina of Time - Master Quest and had crackling audio during the selection screen. Hopefully the texture/rendering bugs which occur when playing GC games in Wii mode will be fixed in future revisions.

4. sk0ld

Member sk0ld GBAtemp Regular

United States
    lol, that video almost comes off as slanderous conan. =P
    *sigh.* Try DM(L) again with a disc in the drive.
    And just so you know, yes this is 'fixed' in an upcoming revision.

5. conanac
    OP

United States
    Sorry, I miss that information in the compatibility list (thanks for reminding me of that).
    And many thanks again for continuously improving this great application DM(L) as
    well as listening to the user community.

Cheers.

6. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    AFAIK while Devolution is running a game the CPU/GPU is clocked down to simulate GC hardware.

7. wiismodrome

Seychelles
    That was not the impression I got during Devolution's development. As I understand it, it runs at full speed.

8. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    Nope, that's how MIOS does it, but not how Devolution does it. tueidj said during development that provided you tell the GC game the clock speed it is running at, it will run normally.

9. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    If it's running at full speed then the games should be like fast forwarded all the time. If you launch MIOS directly without BC clocking the CPU down then your games will look like this:
    Code:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlzVpo5IPdM&list=UUyQSz_PKP9LqqigzHio7UCQ&index=9&feature=plcp
    Then again, if Devolution runs games in a sandbox, then...?

10. Felipe_9595

Member Felipe_9595 GBAtemp Fan

Chile
    Some people said NFS Hot Pursuit ran with a bigger framerate in Devolution than in a real gamecube thought.

11. wiismodrome

Seychelles
    That was me.

During Devolution's development, although I suggested otherwise, tueidj maintained that the 1.5 x higher CPU/GPU clock rates in Wii mode would have no effect at all on game performance. However, while I do not have any frame rate measuring devices at my disposal, it does appear to me that NFS HP2 runs more smoothly in Devolution than from disc (in GC mode). When I switch back to the disc, the game and controls feel sluggish. I was curious to try this game in particular because it has been criticized for having trouble maintaining a decent frame rate. It makes sense that 1.5 x the processing power would help games that are struggling to be playable.

12. koolking97

Newcomer koolking97 Member

Canada
    i found out that dm run speed is affected by what kind of usb you use like i tried one usb and the loading time was horrible but then i tried my other usb and it was amazing

13. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    See my post above yours as to why this is not the case.

14. sk0ld

Member sk0ld GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey that's alright. You should really delete or update that video though. It's false advertising. =)

15. conanac
    OP

United States
    Will do the update of the video using the new (yay!) DM version when I am back home.

Cheers.