Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
frodo.jpg

frodo-wii-tv_medium.jpg

Simon Kagstrom has released a new Commodore 64 emulator for the Nintendo Wii. Although it appears it doesn't support a keyboard you can map key combinations to the various buttons on the Wiimote.

Usage

Put .t64 or .d64 in /apps/frodo/images on your SD card.

Controls

Press "Home" on the controller to get to a menu where you can insert tapes/disks and configure the emulation.

Key 2 on the controller is fire and the other keys (except direction keys) can be programmed to output keyboard keys.

Thanks go to

* Christian Bauer for the original Frodo
* Wii/Gamecube SDL port for the graphics
* "Tantric"'s port of FCE Ultra, which the sound support was taken from (a bit modified)
Download/source http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Frodo

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its nice to play Mayhem In Monsterland without the bad colours and sound that exists with the VC version. I paid money for that game, and Nintendo wonders why most people pirate.

FGOD

Wii gaming bitch
Trophies
Website
www.familievermeylen.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
hmmm i wonder why it just stopped while loading turbo outrun... i've got a black screen after the trainer menu and turbo outrun banner, but after a short load it should have gave me a new banner if i remember correctly... but i could still open the menu... any ideas? the rest of the loading is very fast, so i don't think it should take very long loading while other things take less loading then normal... and even so i've waited 5 minutes :s

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FGOD said:
hmmm i wonder why it just stopped while loading turbo outrun... i've got a black screen after the trainer menu and turbo outrun banner, but after a short load it should have gave me a new banner if i remember correctly... but i could still open the menu... any ideas? the rest of the loading is very fast, so i don't think it should take very long loading while other things take less loading then normal... and even so i've waited 5 minutes :s
I just tested it and got the same results. A lot of games don't work but the best game ever H.E.R.O. works well.

Its a pain to assign certain keys to the Wiimote though, I hope a on screen keyboard or even better keyboard support will be in future versions.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hadrian Uranium said:
FGOD said:
I just tested it and got the same results. A lot of games don't work but the best game ever H.E.R.O. works well.

Its a pain to assign certain keys to the Wiimote though, I hope a on screen keyboard or even better keyboard support will be in future versions.

Well I guess this emulator is so good that's even capable of simulating the frequent loading errors on the real machine......
I remember it was hellish to slightly adjust the tape recorder several times with a tiny screw driver every time the loading would fail and hope for the best.....
Thank god I also had a Spectrum at the time which was much more reliable when it came to tape loading programs !
And what do we need a keyboard for, it's not like the average C64 owners would even try to program the damn thing, the basic interpreter was awful, but many games were great and all you needed to play them was a Joystick in port 1.......or if the game would refuse to load you could just try port 2
nyanya.gif

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
man this isn't very good so far nearly every game i load wont work firetrap, impossible mission 2, eagles nest, fruit machine nada. and the ones that do load and work are very buggy and slow.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
v4
Merged with the Frodo trunk and build the "SC" version. This should improve emulation somewhat (although there are cases where it's the other way around!). The palette also changes because of this.
Save prefrences together with the C64 state when saving snapshots. This is useful e.g., to have game-specific keybindings
More menu options to type common key sequences, turn on 1541 CPU emulation etc
Link with Yohanes version of SDL-Port, which perhaps brings USB keyboard support. I haven't tested, so please test and fix the code.
Fixed some key binding bugs
Misc smaller improvements here and there

http://frodo-wii.googlecode.com/files/frodo-wii-bin-4.tar.gz

Tetsuo Shima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yes it appears that in this version there's no tape loading option.
Edit: I asked Simon Kagstrom about this, here is his response:
QUOTE said:
There is no tape loading option - Frodo treats everything as disks, so just insert the tape and run LOAD "*",8,1 and it should start. The reason tmp/ is needed is that tapes are first extracted to a temporary file (a "disk") and then loaded as a disk. .prg files work more or less the same way
Just load them normally with 1541 emulation disabled.

By the way, if you can't run some disk image game be sure to enable 1541 emulation (looong loading times but improved compatibility) and load it. After that an "out of memory" error will appear, but instead of giving up, try to reload the same game without resetting.
In this way I managed to successfully load some of my favourite games (Buggy Boy, Turrican 2, Creatures 2, Zack McCracken)...but others still don't work. No idea why this happens.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k