Colors! 3D Drawing Techniques

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by jrk190, Apr 23, 2012.

Apr 23, 2012

Colors! 3D Drawing Techniques by jrk190 at 5:35 PM (6,942 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. jrk190
    OP

Member jrk190 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Okay, so, In my opinion, I've always been a pretty good artist. However, I am no good at drawing on the 3DS. When I had Flipnote, I was horrible at drawing, too. What are some good methods for drawing in Colors! 3D?

Edit: Can A Mod fix the topic title?

2. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Make a rough outline before anything, then erase it with low opacity so its really light, then on another layer draw over whatever it is you're drawing, but with clean lines.
    Unless you already do that, then I don't know.

I was the same when swapnote came out. But I have gotten pretty decent at drawing on a tiny screen after doing it for so many months, so just keep on practicing!

3. jimskeet2002

Member jimskeet2002 GBAtemp Fan

Greece
    Yeah. This thread can be something good if people that are good at drawing drop their tips and tricks on drawing on a digital interface like colors 3d.

4. The Milkman

Member The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

United States
    Well, I wont say I'm a pro or anything but I draw quite a bit on my 3DS and I have found that sketching out your drawings with thick bold lines to get the shape and then smoothing it out with your eraser is the best way to get a quick outline. However my pictures also use a lot of color and little detail and proportion, so it works for me mostly because I focus on shape more then size, and worry about fixing my drawings later. If you use the more traditional way of sketching outlines and using shapes and all that fancy shit I would recommend you steadily draw those out and then erase since its so clean.

5. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I do the same thing I do on paper, I sketch out everything and then smooth it out afterward. Here's a little WIP as an example.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    Yeah same here, I do a rough outline of it. Than I smooth it out. Erase a few unwanted lines. Add colors and textures. And you could get something like this: [​IMG]
    Before anyone asks, I did draw it. XD
    Another tip in general, whenever you do a drawing, take your time to do it. XD

7. LTK

Member LTK GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I'm shit at drawing but here's my process.

Step 1: fill background layer with a solid colour
    Step 2: use a darker version of that colour and draw some outlines.
    Step 3: on next layer fill in the base colours of what you drew. (no shading etc)
    Step 4: add shading/light/details
    Step 5: Use black on a low opacity/brush size and outline what you drew. Opacity set to 50% ish should look good.

8. The Milkman

United States
    That's REALLY good, I'm never good at making characters from games (unless their simple like kirby, I make a damn good kirby)

9. thaddius

Member thaddius Charmander is not pleased.

Canada
    Watch some Bob Ross.

1 person likes this.
  10. gamefan5

Canada
    Funny you say that, I started complex drawings by making Kirbys. XD
    http://colorslive.com/author.php?page=1&id=32188
    These are my drawings. XD

11. The Milkman

United States
    LOL, no offense guy but the kirby you made sucks XD the shading I love and the eyes are awesome. Its just the arms XD but I see your point. Vaati is a big improvement though. I would like to show you more of my stuff but I'm in the middle of converting it all from my sketch books and my old DS (I had the orginal Colors! DS)

12. mechadylan

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This. The techniques that he uses are ideal for Colors; no, not trolling. The way that I have always enjoyed this homebrew is by starting with a basic pallette of 3 or 4 colors and creating a "wash" using varying opacities. Although I don't always have a clear idea of what I am about to "paint," the colors establish a "mood" and it's not long before and idea develops in the form of foreground. Before I know it, I've been glued to my DS screen for hours trying to replicate an image that is embedded in my mind. I hope the final realese of this app includes a built in mp3 that can play tracks from the SD card as you draw, because a little bit of Miles Davis in the headphones enhances it's replay value tremendously.

13. jimskeet2002

Member jimskeet2002 GBAtemp Fan

Greece
    I have found a "trick" to make the colors more realistic. I lay the basic color with a the solid brush tool. Then I do some shading with the blur brush tool, also playing with opacity, and then I chose the 3rd brush (don't know how it is called) with a darker color and and just touching repeatedly on the area. Not dragging the stylous cause it would cause lines to be created. This way i add darker pixels all over the place which kinda gives it a more realistic appearance.
    U can check it out on this painting I did yesterday
    Loving Devil

14. gamefan5

Canada
    Hahaha don't worry, it's not my best Kirby dude, considering this was my first drawing on Colors DS. XD I made others that I didn't post.